• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suboxone appt. tom

lost2086

Greenlighter
Tomorrow I have my first appointment. I'm so scared. I took my last oxy on Sunday night and cannot get anymore. Will this still show in my urine as usually I am a daily user? The high I chase isn't really the nodding out kind, I love the energy and upbeat feelings opiates give me. I really hope subs can help with that. My physical WD aren't that bad, but I take gabapentin and I think that helps. This appointment is all I can think about. I'm so nervous.

suboxone will give you that boost of energy and will uplight your mood AT FIRST, then after little while that boost of energy will go away, BUT the good mood feeling will always be there trust me I've been on suboxone for 4 years now if you have any more questions just ask me

We don't discuss drug testing issues on BL, but if you've been taking it long enough it should still be in your system if you last took it Sunday and are getting tested Wednesday.

Why do you think the appointment is making you feel so anxious? Totally normal, but worth exploring.

Maybe because I've always told myself, "I have this under control" (yeah right) and this really is me admitting I have a really big problem and I'm really scared of life without pills.

Indeed. Luckily you don't have to focus on what life will be like without opioids though, because that's what you're going into treatment to help address. Is this program associated with an IOP or just a prescribing doctor? It would be really worthwhile making the effort (sometimes it takes a lot more effort than you'd think) to find a therapist you get along well with (in other words, who feels right for you).

They said I would be meeting with a therapist there as well as the dr. I know I have deep rooted issues that have led me to self medicate. I'm just nervous bc I don't know what to expect. Like maybe they'll turn me away or something. You can probably see I have issues with anxiety lol. I really hope they don't need me to come back in 2 days bc I can't take off any more work. I really hope they'll worth with me on that.

I want to emphasize that your anxiety over this upcoming appointment is completely normal. I was shitting bricks (well no, I was having really bad withdrawal related diarrhea) before my first appointment when I got on buprenorphine and later methadone.

It's unlikely they're turn you away if you explain your situation with opioid use frankly with them. Other than due to financial reasons, that would be highly unlikely. But just stress with them that you are really struggling with opioids, have been for some time, and really really need their help. One of the few situations where framing substance use disorder as literally a life and death issue is really useful IMO.

Are you able to (safely) discuss anything you're going through with your boss or anyone at work? If they know you're getting medical treatment they'd probably be understanding (well, a lot of employers are), but at the same time there is so much misunderstanding and stigma surrounding opioid use and treatment, not telling them may be a better idea. Ideally you'd be able to be open about it, but you may or may not be in an ideal situation with this (definitely telling the wrong people at work is a horrible idea).

It's tough bc I am a teacher and would probably be fired if I said anything about it. Plus, Its hard to make appointments bc it's not like i can step out for an hour. I hope the clinic will work with my schedule. They didn't say anything about coming back the next day when i made my appointment, but i have been reading this is common and of course i wouldn't be able to do it. I hope they let me go a week bc thats my next available day.

and my physical WD symptoms aren't terrible (yet) so I hope they understand that the craving is driving me CRAZY and my anxiety is through the roof (even with xanax)

Even if they’re not horrible, it is still good to emphasize any physiological symptoms because a lot of intake personnel put more weight on them than the psychological symptoms.

Hopefully you can do your intake all in one day. It can take three to fours hours depending on the provider though, so be prepared to have to spend a lot of time there. Generally people on come back the second day if they couldn’t finish intake on the first.

Too bad about your work, but at least you don’t have to worry about confidentiality with your treatment.

I'm happy to hear that you are following through with the appointment and that the treatment protocol includes a therapy related component. Note that this approach is called "medication assisted treatment." The medication (in your case, buprenorphine) assists the treatment that, over time, will address the underlying condition that forces people like us to seek opiates for ease and comfort. Medication, in combination with counseling and behavioral therapies, can provide a “whole-patient” approach to the treatment of substance use disorders.

Hey, give it a legitimate chance. How about 90 days? If things haven't turned around for you by then, you will always have the option of going back to doing what you are currently doing.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

That's what I'm telling myself, if I at least give this a shot then I'll know if it's right for me. I'll be in no worse shape than I already am at this point. I think there's a part of me that needs to get off my high horse too. Like I don't belong with "real" addicts. (bull, deep down i know i am) but still in the back of my mind I think that this wasn't supposed to happen to me. I've actually never even tried pot lol. I am proof that this stuff reaches everyone.

You'd be amazing how everyone from all strata's of society are vulnerable to substance use disorder. The only people who are super vulnerable are folks who come from healthy family (however you define family) units, and those seem like they're getting rarer and rarer at all levels of American society. Our culture breeds dysfunction given how much we celebrate really unhealthy lifestyles. But in any case, I'm also glad to hear you are pursuing professional help.

There is so much you can do for yourself along those lines...
Psychiatry
IOP for relapse prevention/behavioral treatment and psychoeducation
IOP for mental health
Acupuncture
Yoga/xigong/tai chi/etc
MBSR/mindfulness
Massage
Nutrition
Other exercise
etc. etc.

So many things you can do when it comes to focusing on your recovery :) the more you practicing doing, the easier and more fluid it becomes. Hopefully the ORT will give you the kind of stability regarding opioid use you need so you can focus a little on some of these other avenues in recovery.

I'm getting so nervous. It's three hours til appt. time. I really hope they give me some there bc I haven't had anything since Sunday and I know it's making my anxiety worse.

Generally if you present in full-blown withdrawal they'll dose you the same day. It's just a matter of getting paperwork done really.

How did it go?

What a day. My appointment was at 3:30 and I wasn't seen until 5:20. The whole ride there I kept thinking about how I really hoped no one I knew would even drive by as I walked in. Naturally an old friend from high school came in right after me. She said I looked horrified, but we talked about how our addictions started etc. The doctor was fine and had no problems prescribing me 8mg of sub once per day. They didn't give me any in the office so I went and picked it up right away. I would describe it as if I were on an extremely low dose of oxy. Sorta. It really is difficult to articulate. Anyway, I'm giving this shot and I really hope I will have the will power to stay away from the oxys. I really appreciate all the advice and support you guys have offered. I know I def wouldn't have tried them if I never saw this site.

Let us know how it continues. It takes at least two weeks to stabilize on buprenorphine. Generally it takes most people more like a month. I'd suggest at some point playing around with you dose. Some people find 4mg twice a day is better than 8mg once a day, and many people find 1mg or 2mg twice a day more effective than 8mg once a day.

If you got the strips, you can use Listerine or anything with high proof ethanol in it to "prime" your sublingual membrane to better absorb the medication. It takes less time to absorb, it's harder to swallow any by mistake, and it will increase BA a little bit.

Watch out for munchies from the buprenorphine. It is pretty easy to stay healthy while taking ORT, but it's good to be intentional about eating healthy three meals a day and getting at least an hour of exercise each day (it can be as simple a walk or two each day, the point is anything amount of any exercise each day is better than none).

Anyways, glad to know it turned out well. Did you organize any other treatment, like IOP, therapy or some kind of peer support?

BTW this is a great time to visit the dentist and get a physical if you haven't had one in a while. Pretty easy things most people can do that is really good when it comes to taking better care of yourself. Good luck!

So I took half a pill this morning (even though it hadn't been 24 hours) bc I want to be taking the subs in the morning. It's been a few hours and I do feel the effects at half the dose prescribed. BUT I feel really nauseous. Perhaps it's bc I took the dose too close together and it's just too much for me and it will pass? Or any advice for anything that helps? If I throw up should I take another half?

Don't take any more until the nausea goes away or it's been 12-24hrs, whichever happens fist. And next time, regardless of when you dose, try to just take half what made you nauseous today.

In terms of nausea, OTC stuff that really helps is ginger (especially strong ginger tea). Seltzer water helps some. But the biggest thing besides ginger is simply laying down in cool dark room to relax. Ideally on your back.

You can also try diphenhydramine or motion sickness OTC stuff. I actually found DPH worked well to deal with minor nausea, but others need something more powerful. In terms of prescription meds, ondansetron (Zofran) works really well at preventing nausea.

Some people also find cannabis helpful, although now I'm more an advocate for CBD use as opposed to just normal high potency THC buds/concentrates. I find CBD way more effective for nausea, sleep, etc than I do THC.

I have a feeling you may have just taken a little more buprenorphine than you needed. The side effects from taking more than necessary aren't fun and tend to involve a lot of nausea. It will wear off, though it may take a day.

The stuff has a very long half life and is very potent, so try and be careful in terms of figuring out just how much you need. Buprenorphine is one of those meds where less is often more in terms of desirable results.

OP. Think about how it felt to talk to the old friend from high school and open up about your problems. Did it feel good? Therapeutic? Relieving? Did you experience empathy? You may have experienced the value of empathetic connection. If you think the buprenorphine alone will solve what ails you, you may be in store for some additional painful experiences.