• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Sub-recreational nutmeg doses as an anti-depressant

MrBadExample

Greenlighter
Hi,

I just want to spread the word of the wonderful anti-depressant properties of nutmeg, and I'm curious if anyone else here has tried it.

I have known for a long time that nutmeg can be used "recreationally" as a deleriant, so one day when I was desperate for some altered state I ground up 3 or 4 nutmegs, but I decided against trying it due to the many bad trip reports, and kept the ground up nutmeg.

Just a few months ago, I came upon this study that seems to show that nutmeg is an effective anti-depressant:
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/nutmeg-demonstrates-antidepressant-activity

And in this (https://erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg_article1.shtml) nice article on nutmeg:

"
While there doesn't appear to be any traditional use of nutmeg as a mood elevator, several individuals have noted that it does indeed have such properties. The German writer Georg Meister noted nutmeg's uplifting effects in his 1692 work Der Orientalisch-Indianische Kunst- und Lust-G?rtner (Oriental-Indian Art and Pleasure Gardener) commenting that "it can greatly refresh even the ill and cheer them up with fresh spirits" (R?tsch 2005); and the twelfth century mystic Hildegard von Bingen had this to say:

When a human being eats nutmeg it opens his heart, and his sense is pure, and it puts him in a good state of mind. Take nutmeg and (in the same amount) cinnamon and some cloves and grind them up. And then, from this powder and some water, make flour--and roll out some little tarts. Eat these often and it will lower the bitterness of your heart and your mind and open your heart and your numbed senses. It will make your spirit happy, purify and cleanse your mind, lower all bad fluids in you, give your blood a good tonic, and make you strong (R?tsch & M?ller-Ebeling 2006)."

So I decided to give it a go. I tried about 4g (roughly one whole nutmeg). Many people find it difficult to tolerate the taste but I don't find it at all unpleasant, it tastes very solvent-like when taken in large quantities. Not pleasant, but certainly not unpleasant.
I had ground up the nutmeg so I simply swallowed the powder with water, however I have since discovered that it is even possible to eat a whole nutmeg... It is easy enough to break it with the teeth, then chew it and swallow it with water, so even if you have no grinder near by, no problem! :D

I didn't expect much at all from this, and I don't think the placebo effect would be applicable here (more like the nocebo effect because I expected negative results if anything) but I think the effects were quite noticeable, however subtle.

To begin with, there are some physical effects that become quite apparent:
Dry mouth
Dry eyes
Thirst.
Sleepiness.
Mild headache.

These didn't cause any problems for me although other people might react differently.

As for the mental effects, I think they were quite pronounced, I felt a significant mood lift, I felt more motivated to talk and do things, similar in effect to a low opiate dose but not euphoric.

The effect is nothing like the unpleasant effects of SRIs. I have tried those, synthetic ones and natural ones (kanna) and I have always experienced a very unpleasant dysphoric detached feeling.
Nutmeg doesn't feel anything like this. One doesn't feel at all detached or "out of it", just happier.
The feeling is quite sedate and relaxed, it is more conducive to relaxing activities than mountain climbing, for example.

The effects seem to last for at least 8 hours, although there is no detectable come-up and come-down so it is hard to tell, because presumably the placebo effect will continue to work even once it has begun to wear off.

I have tried it 3 or 4 times since, I find that 2g (half of a nutmeg) is a better dose as it is less sedating but still seems to have an equally mood-lifting effect. It has worked every time.

There is no hangover that I can perceive.

As I said, I don't think it is a placebo because placebos simply do not work on someone as miserable as I.

So has anyone else tried low doses of nutmeg?
I'd be interested to hear about others' experiences! :D

xxx

I find nutmeg is actually quite pleasant (gnawing on whole nutmegs, no pre-ground powder), one or two nuts will produce a ice warm body buzz with mild enhancement of colors and music, and make it easier to sleep. It does have a long duration, lasts most of the day, but that's the only downside. I don't get any of the headaches, etc but then again i stay well hydrated.

Disclaimer: I don't do nutmeg on a regular basis, it's more a fun treat for special occasions.

^ Interesting Sekio. I used to use various substances (Shrooms come to mind) to enchance music, and colors as stated. When's i was younger, proper strains of marijuana had a unique enchancement of colors, and music seemed deeper :)

Shrooms (among other things) can be intense, and is an experience. Imo dosing has to be done caref

Exactly!
It is underrated, one suspects it has a bad reputation because of people taking almost lethal doses and then spending the rest of the week wishing they hadn't :D

I have never used it on a regular basis either, It certainly doesn't seem to have a high dependence liability.
Also nutmeg contains safrole which seems to be a weak carcinogen so moderation seems like a good idea.

Weed has a very nice music enhancing effect.
That's good that it works for you, I've never found shrooms to enhance music, it usually goes like:
*Plays song*
*Zones out*
*1 minute, feeling like 3 hours, elapses*
"Oh is that song still playing?"

Yeah I stared at a tree... I thought it was a moment, yet it was like 40 f^%#ing minutes or something. Then I did zone out, w/ Soubdgarden, and probably a couple other bands. Songs like New Damage and 4th of July?'(Weed for that one) were deep.

When younger, would rock out - ny Friend played guitar, and it made me envision color - different notes and effects. Old school War pigs was an experience and Unplugged Nirvana, Everlong etc

Could go on though it's cloudy and no one cares! I think experience ms are part of life, and experimentation is ok. Well done now

I find nutmeg is actually quite pleasant (gnawing on whole nutmegs, no pre-ground powder), one or two nuts will produce a ice warm body buzz with mild enhancement of colors and music, and make it easier to sleep. It does have a long duration, lasts most of the day, but that's the only downside. I don't get any of the headaches, etc but then again i stay well hydrated.

Disclaimer: I don't do nutmeg on a regular basis, it's more a fun treat for special occasions.

Now when you say NICE WARM BODY BUZZ, is it like the warm feeling you get from opiates?

Very interesting, I never knew nutmeg can be used as antidepressant at microdoses. Tell us the results of the experiment. In Italy in the 19th century nutmeg was called the drug of the poors because was used by the most poors for mind altering because they couldn't buy liquors. Malcom X said a match box fill of powdered nutmeg causes a high similar to a pair of joints