• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: loud music makes ecstasy more potent

I guess your ears will burnout along with your brain...

J/k , but seriously... dont go deaf because of E, that would just be really lame...

This rat to human connection is retarded. Sure to some extent there are similarities but the overall comparison of rat to human shows too many inconsistencies.

5-HT2 reincarnated said:
These scientists are majorly overinterpreting their results, hyping them to get mass media exposure. I am not surprised that there is a change in brain activity when MDMA is combined with music, though it is remarkable how long it lasts after the higher dose of MDMA. However, they provide no evidence that this change in activity is pathological.

Well said, though I think, rather, that the media is hyping these results to make them more interesting/shocking.

Which, after all, is the role of the media.

Like you, I'm confused at where the idea came from that these changes were necessarily bad. The article I linked in the first post implied that the longer-lasting effects were a good thing; other articles have implied that they are bad.

Crazeee said:
I doubt rats know how to enjoy music so these correlations are hardly scientific. I've said it before and I will say it again, rats are not people and except for some basic LD studies these are ridiculous.

Just as an aside: this study didn't use music, it used white noise. So apparently the intensity/volume of the noise is important, not so much the type of noise. Though they did say they were following up with a study using techno instead of white noise. [Do Italian rats like techno? I'd think they'd go for some old-style Italian piano house, myself ;)].

Aren't rat brains quite similar to human brains, by the way?

Anyway, the core idea of this study, that loud music (or noise) makes ecstasy more intense, is surely something that we'd all agree to be true, anecdotally?

i sure as hell don't want to listen to white noise at 95 db, i dunno about you..

You can argue that ecstasy could be hazardous.

But, first you should test brain activity normally, and then after loud music.

I know loud music gets my brain going without a substance in my body... Perhaps they overlooked this?

[nl]mdma said:
Yeah I'm pretty sure anyone will get brain damage from getting 6*70kg=420mg of mdma IV'ed. That's 4 goddamn pills reaching 100% plasma concentration in 6 heartbeats 8(

I agree =D

Sim0n said:
Well said, though I think, rather, that the media is hyping these results to make them more interesting/shocking.

Which, after all, is the role of the media.

I think they both are. As a member of the scientific community (though very junior still), I believe that this guy is tooting his own horn to get more exposure. The statements he makes in the quotations do not seem conservative or careful at all; however, he could be quoted out of context.

Sim0n said:
Like you, I'm confused at where the idea came from that these changes were necessarily bad. The article I linked in the first post implied that the longer-lasting effects were a good thing; other articles have implied that they are bad.

I read the actual scientific journal article from Iannone's group and it definitely implies that this change is bad…not really surprising, because it's a lot easier to get funding to explore negative rather than positive effects of MDMA.

^^^
Good comments, and thanks for the clarification. I admit I only read the abstract, and not very carefully ;)

bickoma's comments are interesting, too. I just had a look at the article, and if I read it right, they also tested animals with or without sound, but without MDMA (and there was no change in either condition).

from my anecdotal experiences i do find that trance type music does increase/prolong the effects of MDMA for me than say just taking a walk in the park and looking at the scenery, etc. I'd like to elaborate in the discussion more but i'm on 4mg. of xanax and it's kinda hard to follow the previous posts :p

Xelfer said:
Naw i think thats bullshit, honestly yeah your sound gets more intense if theirs music, so if its louder ur obviously gonna trip out harder cuz ur concentrating on the music harder, like when you go to a rave why you think the music is so bomb there? cuz ur there for the music and its loud as fuck.

What the hell is he talkin about?

My 2 rupees:

This animal study points in the right direction ..

Music does greatly increase the effect of many psychoactives...
no big news... I and many people know this by direct experience...

with with MDMA and the techno and party scene in th 90ties we
dont really need such a study with animals..we had enough human guinea pigs

But the study is not really represantative for humans...and can be interpretted in many different ways...of course most media just try to show that E is dangerous , with music even more.
I wonder when they make music illegal? It does affect the brain ..or doest it ?

Someone said here:
"Yeah I'm pretty sure anyone will get brain damage from getting 6*70kg=420mg of mdma IV'ed. That's 4 goddamn pills reaching 100% plasma"

Very true...masssive MDMA overdose...
In some of the articles the actually do say that the dose(the high doese of 4mg/kg ) if much to high when applied to humans.
While I know a few people taking this dose , I have to say that this are all sad cases of amphetamine and MDMA junkies who really damaged their serotonine system permanently with frequent overdoses and cannot feel normal doses anymore .and hell even these people get K.O. and faint at 400mg MDMA powder sometimes . .or are too affected to care about anything...
A normal undamaged person will faint or have a way too intense trip on this dose .
Usually most people I know take only 100 to 200 mg in a dose..and I personally take 50 to 140 max..mostly 70-80mg. and I take MDMA since now 12 years recreationally about 5 to 20 times a year Im happy to repoert happy to still feel the magic and full effect at doses above 50mg . Below its too unspecific for me...about high does I had only very few
Only one time in my life I had was about 220mg pure MDMA by accident and it was way to strong and intense for a party , more like a trip but very confusing and stoning , though I could enjoy it in some ways but would not try repeat this experience ever..there are better drugs with less sideffects like 3CB,acid or candyflips(E+LSD) for that kind of high ..a friend who was supposed to sell us 300 mg (for 3 people) was tooo generous and we got about 600 mg .
Actually the study shows that there seems not to be a big deal with the lower dosages the rats got and the effect increased only for short time ...so it may be actually safe for low to nmid doses...though there is a price for everything ..and the price for MDMA is definetly the lower serotonine aftereffects the next days. Funny that ayahuasca for example has exactly the opposite a effect next days...
Ipersonally feel much better after a aya ritual than on any MDMA ..

Als in this study they use white noise as "music"...I wonder if it wold have been different with normal music.

Well , I donno about how rats do feel about it...but white noise turned very loud drives me and most people really crazy in short time and will have a weird effect on the brain ..even without any MDMA.
I remember a My bloody valentine" gig where at the end the tuned feedback guitar amps full on and left ..so there was very loud white feedback noise.
Pople started to freak out after a few minutes () and someone jumped on stage and pulled the plug after 10 minutes.

Also they caim that brain activity was diminished in the study ..but thats just speculation if the changes are activation or the oppposite.

I hope for more research with psychdelic drugs but not of this type.
Why cannot so many drugs researchers design their studies a bit better I wonder?
Maybe has o do whith who pays the study ..prob. the gouvernement . And with a guy like Berlusconi running the country what can you really expect?

Wo a much too long rant for this topic ..must be this weed .whatever , have fun

Psynergy

Last edited:
What does 95db noise sound like to a rat? How sensitive is their hearing? It is possible that it made them feel really incomfortable and it's that what caused the difference, e.g. extremely high cortisol levels.

95 db isnt honestly THAT loud for a human, and rats tend to live in similar environments as humans (as far as loudness goes), so I wouldnt think their hearing would be much more sensitive than ours.

A decent scale to relate different levels of loudness would be as follows....

70 dB - about the loudness of a room with a few people talking normally

85 dB - the loudness of people watching a movie in their home theatre

110 dB - a good consumer car audio system playing loud

130 db - a bit under competition car audio loudness

I feel these levels are about accurate as I was trained for sound engineering, and have been exposed to different levels of dB while reading a dB meter in real time, more times than I can remember.

They shot the rats up though so the data may be invalid kinda, anyone here ever shoot up mdma? It's nothing at all like eating/snorting/plugging it, the feeling and effects are completely different.

Sorry if this has been said before I haven't read all the posts yet.