• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Strip searches approved in massive police powers boost for G20 forum in Brisbane CBD

Do you really think that anyone insane enough to try bomb shit like the G20 summit is any less likely to because there is a small chance they may now be strip searched? That would be pretty funny to me if so, because I think that is utterly fucking ridiculous.

About as ridiculous as carrying drugs around a suburb crawling with police on edge guarding the Presidents of Russia, US, China, France.....

More chance of Kevin Rudd being Prime minister come the G20 than any stoner getting his door kicked in next year

Nobody is saying anyone doing that is particularly intelligent but that doesn't entitle others to take their fucking rights away. You clearly just make points for the sake of argument, in your last post you try and defend these laws as potentially being a deterrant and you now acknowledge how ridiculous that is and instead try to shift the blame back on people unintelligent enough to enter these areas with drugs, it seems to me you are just trolling as usual...

Slightly off topic but I have a curiousity regarding how much difference there is in how these things work there for y'all compared to the "rights" of the citizens here in the US? It sounds as though you all have a generally similar bit of rights when it comes to search and seizure and such..anyone experienced in both countries care to compare it from a real life standpoint...

There is no Bill of Rights in Australia like the US, only laws and how they can be applied.

I am no more trolling that the rest of the idiots here who jump on obvious legislation to protect a unique political event in Brisbane as some sort of backdoor attempt to crackdown on innocent citizens.

Woe is me the sky is falling, everyone living in Festival Towers will have their doors kicked in and their phones tapped!! Bullshit, these laws will allow the police to control a bunch of rent a mobs before they trash my city and cause my rates to go up and I am all for them.

The difference is you post shit to get a reaction, what they post is their reaction to the article. Also, you conceded on the last page that the idea that police powers to strip search will deter anyone from using a bomb at this event was as eridiculous as bringing drugs into these zones where police have these powers, so how do you now justify it as legislation that will protect a unique political event? How does police being able to get me to squat and cough while they eye me up protect any political leaders? It is a fucking joke.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that this is some major ploy against drug users specifically, but it will undoubtedly have an impact on some drug users in that region. It may not be abused but these powers are open to be abused and in a society that claims to be free there should not be areas where the cops can enter your home for a warrantless search or get you to spread their arse cheeks for them for literally NO REASON. Whether or not we have a Bill of Rights is so irrelevant, basic decency and human rights shouldn't really need a piece of paper written by some assholes from way back when to exist.

This is classic guilty till proven innocent shit, nobody has even done anything in Brisbane and regardless of history of these events I don't see how the safety of a relatively small band of world leaders is more important than the rights and freedoms of thousands of Australians? What a surprise that it all comes back to a fear of your fucking mansion getting wrecked in a riot that has you in support of draconian laws that will undoubtedly have no impact on your affluent ass. You are so arrogant and selfish, do you not realise that it is not possible for the majority of people to be half as privileged as you seem to be and things like this can actually have more of an impact on their lives than whether your LCD gets looted.

This whole thread is trying to get a reaction. Jumping to impossible conclusions with no evidence or any suggestion how to prevent "protesters" destroying the city. There is a reason they need to be introduced. Google image "G20 riots" and tell me that's what you want for your city. Decency is not creating a war zone in a street. The majority of my community agree with me and will happily give some rights for the week of the summit to maintain civil order. We are sick of misguided minorities holding us hostage.

For someone who is clearly very educated you demonstrate a serious lack of intelligence. You yourself have basically acknowledged it is ridiculous to suggest that these laws will have any tangible impact on the safety of this event, I have asked you atleast once (perhaps more) how police being able to strip people is going to prevent rioting at the G20 event, you have no response to this question yet you are going to claim these laws NEED to be introduced or that is what is going to happen, that is worse fear mongering than what you are accusing the rest of posters in this thread of.

I never said decency is creating a war zone in the street, I sincerely hope there is no rioting and I do not support rioting, however there is no evidence or logic to suggest these draconian and unethical laws will achieve this and so there is no strong argument for implementing them.

I am sure a hundred years ago the majority of your community may have agreed with slavery or lynching gay people, that does not automatically make it the right course of action. The problem with you saying your community is happy to give up rights is that is very seldom people in your affluent community that are impacted by these loss of rights, so it is pretty rich for you to say that shit.

The most misguided minority on the planet are the mega rich, unfortunately the bastards seem to get to make the rules for the rest of us and hold the majority of unwealthy people hostage through their manipulation of the monetary, legal and political systems.

Have you stopped to ask yourself why police would want these powers?

I doubt it so they can parade people around naked and laugh at their small johnsons. My intelligent guess would be they would be able to set up mobile holding cells and have the ability to process many more arrested people than the Brisbane watch house could possibly handle. Are you honestly expecting a few hundred protesters being stripped and paraded through the streets in punishment? Personally I would use those powers to confiscate shit like ball bearings, alcohol bottles that could be used as Molotov cocktails or concealed weapons/projectiles that historically been used in these protests. How else would you like to eliminate such threats? A sternly worded post-it note or a twitter message from the premier?

The point isn't what the police will do with these powers or why they want them, the point is what it allows them to do if they choose. People are entitled to some degree of privacy and this legislation robs them of that. Just because the extreme worst case scenarios are incredibly unlikely to unfold this time around, or even the next, does not mean this doesn't set a dangerous precedent of Governments taking away peoples rights at a moments notice with some shady and not particularly logical explanation. Could you please explain why the safety of a relatively small group of people trumps the rights of thousands? I don't personally give too many fucks about any of those assholes, I don't hope anything bad happens to them but I just don't see why their safety is apparently so important it is fine to trample on the rights of an astronomically larger population than them. Why are you so concerned with the safety of a few politicians but have no concern about the rights of the wider population said dickheads aim to diminish or remove completely?

I am really quite unsure why I am indulging you with an answer to your questions while you ignore all of mine but here it goes...

I would say that it is very likely that politicians are behind this as much, if not more so, than any coppers are. I think that the politicians just want this so that it can look like they are doing something meaningful security wise to the public, even though in reality they are just taking away peoples rights. I imagine that higher up coppers welcome this shit, not because they care about this individual event or think it is overly likely to cause hugely problematic things to happen, but because a week or two of being able to search, strip and detain who they want will certainly boost their annual arrest stats and make them look better on paper.

In regards to how to stop rioting, I am not sure that is possible if there are enough people in a given population that have a desire to engage in these activities. I would suggest that a strong police presence, combined with a well thought out and well executed strategy for keeping the G20 and its participants secure will be as effective without giving police the power to search homes without a warrant and strip search people.

I don't disagree that this will certainly allow them to process much more people than they otherwise could, I don't neccessarily see mass processing of people through the criminal justice system to be a favourable thing, especially when the article states that in most cases people will be refused bail. This seems like it could create a disastrous situation where potentially innocent people are hastily processed into gaol and then not given fair and due process until this summit is over or even longer. It also has great potential to lead to significant overcrowding in prisons around Brisbane.

There is no Bill of Rights in Australia like the US, only laws and how they can be applied.

I am no more trolling that the rest of the idiots here who jump on obvious legislation to protect a unique political event in Brisbane as some sort of backdoor attempt to crackdown on innocent citizens.

Woe is me the sky is falling, everyone living in Festival Towers will have their doors kicked in and their phones tapped!! Bullshit, these laws will allow the police to control a bunch of rent a mobs before they trash my city and cause my rates to go up and I am all for them.

Wrong. Australia does have a bill of rights, I learned them from American film.

The G20/Global politics are a big deal, the leaders of the top 20 economies are a big deal, The rights of Brisbanian Brisbanites wanting to hide their bumholes from the local constabulary are not a big deal.

But seriously we Australians are not by any stretch of the imagination oppressed.

Wrong. Australia does have a bill of rights, I learned them from American film.

No we don't

Australia is the only Western democratic country with neither a constitutional nor federal legislative bill of rights to protect its citizens, although there is ongoing debate in many of Australia's states. Former Australian Prime Minister John Howard has argued against a bill of rights for Australia as transferring power from elected politicians (populist politics) to unelected (Constitutional) judges and bureaucrats. Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) are the only states and territories to have a human rights bill. Australia decided to list Human Rights Watch’s Australian affiliate, Human Rights Watch Australia, as a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) on June 28, 2013.

I can not stress enough how much I agree with D_M on this matter. When it comes to my safety versus freedoms, I choose freedom every time. I don't believe this power will be abused but that doesn't mean for a second that it should be allowed. If we can't protect the people attending the G20 without creating new laws then we shouldn't host an event, not change laws to allow potential abuse at the sacrifice of freedoms on ANY level.

I would suggest that a strong police presence, combined with a well thought out and well executed strategy for keeping the G20 and its participants secure will be as effective without giving police the power to search homes without a warrant and strip search people.

A well thought out plan like searching suspicious protesters intercepting weapons and other dangerous items perhaps? I don't like my rights being inpinged upon either but I don't wear a tin foil hat and don't for one second believe these laws will be abused. I'll plan on avoiding the area during the summit and breath a sigh of relief when they fuck off home. We live in one of the safest democratic counties in the world, I know for a fact if the government tried to suppress the population there would be real riots on the streets. You seem to think that this security is for the privilege of a handful of elite leaders but I ask you, what would Russia do to us if Putin was murdered on our watch? A tin foil hat wearer like yourself surely could imagine all manner of retribution, justified or not from them if they felt we as a country were to blame.

the fact is most of these protesters do not speak for the majority of Australians. They have ruined what little credibility they may have had by their actions at previous protests. The general public just can't engage with their message anymore because they misguidedly thought violence was a good platform for change.

Queensland cops will take any chance they can get to abuse their power. I have been harassed by police more times than enough in brisbane.