View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Strange physical reaction to microdosing Ibogaine

Vastness

Bluelight Crew
I will start off by saying I have very limited experience using Ibogaine, I have never taken a "flood dose" and have no immediate plans to. However after reading some interesting things about the benefits of lower doses, I tried on a few occasions consuming smaller doses in the day. I am using Ibogaine TA ("Total Alkaloid") Extract, supposedly of ~50% Ibogaine HCl. over 4 days, I took:

30mg
60mg
60mg as a single dose, then 60mg a few hours later
120mg as a single dose

I would be hard pressed to point to definite psychological effects. I knew a fair bit about Ibogaine already so was expecting some stimulation, maybe some "good feelings", but not much more than that. I could hear my heartbeat in my head much louder than usual, but my blood pressure and heart rate were not elevated.

The last day was probably the closest to starting to experience actual "perceptual" effects. I did not actually experience any, to be clear, but sometimes hard edges started to look a little softer than usual, as if they might be about start to breath gently, like the very faintest first alerts of a light psychedelic. This could have been placebo however.

Especially on the last 2 days, I slept very heavily, I am not sure if "deeply", but a long time, found it hard to wake up, and had some quite vivid dreams.

A good outcome is that I was seemingly able to break a several year long psychological dependence on various nootropics and "smart drugs". This is basically what I was going for with such low doses - although it is probably too early to say the magnitude of lasting change induced, if any.

Anyway, something that I have noticed is that I seem to have a definite physical reaction to ibogaine, or at least, the purported powder I have - I first noticed this in my third day of dosing, when I looked in the mirror and saw my eyes were EXTREMELY bloodshot, basically like I was very, very stoned. I thought twice about venturing outside that day.... Additionally, I have noticed that above a certain dosage threshold my nasal passages start to get congested as if I had a cold. Again, the apparent physical symptoms are somewhat incongruent with the usual uncomfortable feelings that would go along with them.

Today, about 1 week later, I have taken 200mg in 2 doses of 100, a few hours apart, and my eyes again are very very bloodshot, and my nose was congested until using a few sprays of xylometazoline. A nasal decongestant spray very quickly clears this up, but it seems there is some dilation of blood vessels going on, and I'm unsure if this is normal or indicative maybe of some kind of mild allergy... obviously if I ever were to try a flood dose it would be a bad time to find out I had some kind of intolerance to ibogaine... :unsure: Although, again, I have no plans to right now.

I would also be very interested to hear if anyone else has experimented with micro- or low dosing ibogaine, and if so for what purpose, and with what, if any, notable outcomes. I know there is some info regarding this floating around in stickies and big and dandy-type threads and whatnot, but I haven't really read any detailed reports of anyone dosing in a similar way. I have read before however that it's quite possible, even likely, that the anti-addictive and other seemingly beneficial effects of ibogaine can manifest gradually and as a result of much lower doses than a truly "oneirogenic" dose, and given the cardiac dangers, need for a sitter, and apparently lengthy duration, it seems that more frequent low doses might be a more convenient option a lot of the time. That said obviously the apparent magnitude of a full dose experience is perhaps worth it in and of itself, for those who walk the psychedelic path, so to speak... but a world-shattering multi-day long trip is sometimes hard to fit in. ?

I have not tried ibogaine myself but from research I have done on it in the past both the bloodshot eyes and nasal congestion that you have experienced are actually a normal reaction to this.

I have not microdosed it, though I want to try that soon, iboga changed my life with my flood dose and I want to revisit it as I feel I could use a good push in the right direction these days. Ibogaine is very physical, for sure. It also produces very vivid dreams, in fact after my flood dose I dreamed nearly lucidly for a couple of years, very regularly. The flood dose itself was one long series of dreams for 3 days.

If you have enough, you might try a moderately high dose before a flood. I took 500mg of TA plus 150mg of ibogaine HCl the 6th day after my flood and had an amazing experience laying in my bed (though there was probably some potentiation from the remnants of the flood). Much more lucid than a flood dose but very powerful still. If you work up to that and are not alarmed by physical reactions I'd say go for a flood if you want, but if you do, absolutely without fail you need supervision the whole time. Plan for 3 days of not being able to function normally at all (for some it's much shorter but it was 3 full days and nights for me before I was reliably lucid). And then the rest of the week to recover and integrate, at minimum.

I kind of want to do another flood someday but holy fuck it was a commitment. It's actually one of my best memories and was a great experience but it's not to be taken lightly. I definitely want to try microdosing and a moderately high dose again though.