View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Strange Ehrlich reaction?

panzermensch2305

Greenlighter
I tested a tab with Ehrlich reagent, it had no instant reaction, but after only a few seconds, it began to turn a combination of purple(?) and yellow.

There seems to be a certain amount of purple but there's alot of yellow, the more time it sat, the more yellow it became. The tabs had some yellow ink but I read the ink shouldn't affect the reaction. The pic attached of the intact tabs is not the tabs tested but from the same 2x2 square, there is some yellow ink but not alot.

Does anyone know what a yellow Ehrlich reaction on a tab could indicate, and why the small amount of purple, but not the same as a traditional strong positive LSD reaction.

Could it be LSD along with a contaminantment/adulterant?

I POSTED THE SAME IMAGE TWICE, I UPDATED IT ON IMGUR BUT IT HASNT UPDATED HERE FOR ME YET, LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN SEE THE PICTURE OF THE REACTION AFTER 30 SECONDS, YOU CAN FOR SURE SEE IT BY OPENING THE IMGUR LINK IN ANOTHER TAB.

REACTION

Last edited:
I can't see the 2nd pic, try using imgbb.com

How old is your reagent? Do you have any other reagents other than Ehrlich?

I think thats actually kind of normal? The reagent will react with the paper. Its probably better idea to drop a few drops of alcohol onto the blotter to extract the lsd out of the paper, then test the residue after the alcohol evaporates. You could use isopropyl or ethanol.

The Ehrlich reagent is a chemical reagent that is used primarily to identify indoles, which is a chemical structure found in many psychoactive compounds, including LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide). A typical positive reaction for indoles with the Ehrlich reagent is a change to a purple color.

A few points to consider:

1. Ink Interference: Even though you mentioned that the ink shouldn't affect the reaction, it's possible that certain inks or dyes used in blotter art can interfere with the Ehrlich reagent test. Yellow could be a result of the ink or another compound reacting with the reagent.
  2. Mixed or Adulterated Substance: It's possible that the tab contained a mix of substances. This might be why there's a partial purple reaction (indicating the presence of an indole like LSD) but also a yellow reaction.
  3. Strength of Reaction: The strength and speed of the reaction can be indicative of the amount of substance on the tab, but this isn't definitive. There are also other indole-containing substances that might react with Ehrlich but aren't LSD.
  4. Testing Conditions: The conditions under which you test can also impact the reaction. Things like temperature, light exposure, and the age of the reagent can all influence the results.
  5. Other Reagents: If you're trying to determine the content of a substance, using multiple reagent tests can give you a more complete picture. There are several other reagents that are often used in conjunction with Ehrlich when testing LSD.
  6. Safety: It's essential to be cautious. If there's any doubt about the content of a substance, it's safest not to consume it. You can't be sure of the dosage, and there's the potential for harmful effects if it's an unknown or unexpected substance.
In summary, while the Ehrlich reagent can indicate the presence of indoles like LSD, it's not definitive. If you're unsure about the content or purity of a substance, it's safest to refrain from consumption. If you're intent on identifying the substance, consulting with experts or sending it to a lab that can do more advanced testing might be a consideration.