• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

strange amphetamine hangover fatigue

waiting

Greenlighter
everyone knows you feel tired as hell the day(s) after taking large doses meth/amphetamine, but I get this particular feeling after as little as a 12 hour session that lasts 1-4 days where all of a sudden I get extremely, extremely tired and feel as if my body is shutting down and I am falling asleep, but sleep is impossible. This effect lasts between 20-40 minutes and then I go back to feeling awake (though tired) again, but then the strong fatigue comes and goes randomly again throughout the day. Usually when I'm at home I just lie down in bed and wait a few minutes for this feeling to be over and it's not too bad, but when in a public place it's fucking horrible.

Even when I finally get a real 8 hours of sleep (sometimes even when I sleep regularly for the next 2-3 days) this strange overwhelming fatigue continues to persist in its comings and going when I awake in the morning. Anybody else experience this? I've commonly heard others commonly describe their body shutting down and they actually do get sleep, but that's not what I'm describing, and I've read my ways through countless amounts of amphetamine related material.

its your brain depleted of neurotransmiters involved in regulating mood, namely dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. after heavy stimulant use, it can take a while(even after sleep and food) to feel "normal" again. it is also possible that you are craving more and experiencing withdrawl(not physical).

really only time will get rid of these feelings, and these symptoms are more common with frequent/regular use. the healthy way to get over this is to get plenty of sleep, food and fluids(water and juices), multivitamins and other supplements(with amino acids, minerals, protein, vitamins, etc.), and plenty of excercise(running and weightlifting is great, gets endorphins released and helps to fell normal).

drugs can also aid comedowns, but should really only be used when you start to crash(when its at its worse). benzos, opiates, barbiturates, methaqualone, seroquel, and other drugs that depress the CNS will relax you and help you fall asleep.

I know all that, but thank you anyway.

it's not craving either, i hate hate hate amphetamine redoses as they are more masochistic than anything. right after the drug wears off there's a short period where redosing is tempting, but I always regret it when I do as the redose intoxication feels worse than the hangover, so 99% of the time I hold off. The coming and going fatigue I described doesn't start until at least another 12+ hours later, when there is absolutely no amphetamine craving.

I was just wondering whether other amphetamine abusers have experienced this sudden but short lived fatigue after abuse, or if it was just me. it's an odd little amphetamine hangover effect I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

Last edited:
Amphetamine messes with your sleep cycles for a while....even after the stimulant effects have worn off. After amphetamine your body doesn't get as much REM sleep...It could be lack of restful sleep that is causing your little bouts of fatigue through the day...Just a theory.

Be thankful that you don't get REM sleep rebound resulting in sleep paralysis. This is horrible. Basically after a long period of use, your body becomes so REM sleep deprived that it will immediately go into REM sleep without going through all the other stages first. So you are effectively paralysed but still somewhat conscious. Imagine feeling like you are suffocating and at the same time trapped under a lead weight.