• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Straight-A teen dies after inhaling computer cleaner amid 'huffing' trend

I did chloroethane once it was decent. It was a lot like being drunk and it didn't taste bad, it was sold as "pure" for cleaning expensive equipment.

It's basically ether in a can I would imagine (never done ether so take it as you will) spray it on a rag and feel drunk for 5 minutes. Like I said did it once or twice and chucked it.

Again decent but I'd take nitrous any day of the week, something just isn't right about inhaling solvents.

You know what else chloroethane is good for? Alkylation. At least ether is relatively inert.

Technically, no. The effects are *inseperable* from brain damage, but brain damage is not what causes it. Most of these inhalant gases are vaguely similar to the olde-fashioned anesthetic ethyl chloride or chloroethane. Chloroethane actually 'looks like" ethanol in your body so it works pretty good as an intoxicant.The problem is, these drugs act as a kind of "super alcohol" as well as being reactive species that will attach themselves to protien molecules permanently. They have very short half lives that encourage abuse/bingeing. And, as we figured out a while back, some people's hearts decide to shut down when exposed to haloalkanes.

The fluoroethanes commonly used in duster today are worse; they are metabolised to hydrogen fluoride, a very nasty poison.

I thought they dissolved the fat around the cells, stopping them from being protected.

It shows that people in the mix of drugs sometimes throw intelligence out the window for a rush...

We have all done shit we are not proud of, but this is still pretty stupid shit to do...

I thought they dissolved the fat around the cells, stopping them from being protected.

Part of the effect of volatile inhalants is modification of membrane permeability and shape. While not technically "dissolving" the fat, volatile inhalants can disrupt the cell wall enough to impair chemical and electrical signalling between cells. (Fun fact: as a rule of thumb, more fat soluble solvents are stronger intoxicating agents).

real n2o ftw. a few people have tried to get me to do that shit. no way, no ty! :| whip-its or nothing as far as inhalants go.