• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Stopping codeine, need advice.

BlazeyUK

Greenlighter
Been on and off codeine n tramadol for 2-3 years, was clean an entire year but since 2016 (January 3rd) i was chewing 2x 200mg SR tramadol throughout the day every day, along with 270mg codeine every other day.

I also drink twice a month, anywhere from 10 (very rare i have 10, usually 24 minimum) to 40 cans of lager in one go.

A week ago i stopped the tramadol n codeine for 37 hours n woke up constantly sweating, freezing cold etc, i have been clean of tramadol since, but now i'm CWEing codeine daily instead of every other day.

Day1: 270mg
Day2: 300mg
Day3: 330mg
Day4: 330mg
Day5: 360mg
Day6: 375mg
Day7: 420mg

It's hardly touching me now n the dose is getting dangerous, i'm cweing 13 - 30/500's not fully clear but not cloudy either, a little bit.

I then ate one 30/500 on top of the 13 cwe'd today, my high lasts 45-70 mins n it's pretty bad so i want to come off them.

Should i just stop or taper?

They will offer bupe if i get help i've already nearly bought liquid Oxy n Oramorph before :/ not sure a stronger opiate is a good idea in these hands of mine..

But i just want to reduce the withdrawals if i do this cause the tramadol was horrible... can't do that again i'm already really anxious n nobody helps me with that, i started doing this cause of anxiety docs wouldn't give me anything but SSRI's and Mirt (horrible dreams on mirt) both of which i found did absolutely nothing so i had nothing else that would help cept codeine/tramadol which i could buy easily.

Thanks for any tips in advance.

I want to do this but i can't stand anxiety... if i quit i will just order benzos off the internet :/ i can't live with this anxiety it's been over 4 years of it.. cannabis helps but i run out a lot -_-

I've been this way for around 4 years now, just give up -_-

Just feel hopeless, lifes been steadily going downhill, i've been on alcohol since i was 11 too (i'm 25 in 2 months) things happened in my life n yeah i just gave up, stopped caring :/ i really want my life back it's very depressing, i don't leave my house either, don't get along with people, basically hardly any friends, no girlfriend any more been gone for years now, just feel like i've hit rock bottom n there's nothing i can do, too much of a pussy to pull the plug so i'm just stuck in this addiction of alcohol n opiates :/ i need any help i can get, thanks.

Last edited:
Honestly I recommend trying to get into a sub program. If not taper your dose down by one pill every 1, 3, or 7 days. Whatever you feel you can handle. Also remember to get outside to soak up those healthy sun rays, eating a balanced healthy nutrition heavy diet, and to exercise to strengthen your body as doing nothing will lead to deconditioning making everything that much more painful.

Thank you, i will buy some more n try to taper and start doing pushups daily, see how it goes.

If not n i relapse i will probably go the sub/bupe route, thanks again.

Subs for codeine is overkill imo. Both subs and done are much stronger than codeine as you've noted.

Definitely taper. And remember you can buy codeine linctus OTC in the UK which is likely safer than CWEs since there's no risk of accidentally taking too much paracetamol. Just make sure you measure out how many ml's you drink so you can accurately dose it.

Cheers will have a look, i won't list prices but it's just very cheap the 30/500's but i will check it out thanks

Yep - what others have said - bupe is slightly overkill for codeine, but will work if you don't have the discipline/willpower to taper down codeine. There's plenty on info around BL on how to make your opiate withdrawal go smoother - i.e. get some loperamide, maybe some clonidine etc. Best of luck brother.

At first you need to know if you were taking opiates daily for a subjascent reason. If yes then you have 2 battles to fight, mental need to use (for whatever reason) and physical addiction. If not well its only physical and alot simpler.

What I fould helpful to get rid of low grade addiction to painkillers;

What can help with physical addiction is getting some Lyrica and replace codeine with it every 4 days and lower codeine daily dosage gradually, then when you feel ready, every 3 days, then every 2 days then when you will see Lyrica stop working I suggest to stop for a week, the goal is, during that week where your physical addiction to opiates will be greatly lowered you try to keep the dosage steady to be slightly on top of unbearable discomfort and come back to the Lyrica routine. With this cycle you should be able to kick your physical discomfort quicker and with less distasteful side effects.

As for psychological addicion, I suggest to try experimenting with psychedelic as they are good to clear your mind on what is distasteful in your life.

And if (like me) your drug use is caused by unkown physical problem, I suggest to turn to less harmful/addictive drugs to relieve your pain/discomfort in a more long term manner.

Okay, thanks, i'll pass on the psychedelics as i've had a pretty traumatic year away from them (bad trips) and i had HPPD for a while due to it although i'm fully aware of the potential for the mental health benefits as i've felt it, but again, i abused them, as for lyrica, i really abused that when i had it, going off what everyone has said, i'm going with a taper and like you say, less addictive alternatives, so this is my gameplan:

-Codeine phosphate taper gradually (either liquid or cwe informed my contact i'm weaning off them)
-Either Valerian Root or DPH to help relax my mind (depends which it is, he didn't say just said asda sleeping pills so it will be one or the other) as apposed to benzos which i know i will just end up abusing.
-Cannabis for depression, anxiety and to stop the shakes and give me a 'high' which is what i began taking the pills for along with anxiety but i think i've just been making excuses to take them.

Does this sound like a viable plan?

Thanks guys/girls hopefully i can sort this out, really appreciate all the help.

Oh I just thought about that! Hydroxyzine would be a great sleeping pill and if you are not too sensible to sedatives, effect even a reliable anxiolytic not hard to get prescribed for whatever reason.

The weed sounds like it'll be the biggest help out of those. It'll help the physical and mental symptoms and will also help sleep. Just watch for the paranoia since you mention you have anxiety but I'm sure you know that.

DPH or any other sedating antihistamine will also be good for sleep, at least for a few days. Don't take too much or you'll get delirant effects. Stick to the proper dose on the box.

Valerian root won't do much for sleep, it might help anxiety a little at high doses but don't expect miracles.

Benzos would be a massive help for anxiety and sleep but I understand wanting to avoid them if you're worried about replacing one addiction with another because that is definitely a valid concern.

Sleeping through withdrawals is really the best thing you can do. Best of luck.

P.S. Keep in mind, if you've been using tramadol for a while you will still be experiencing SNRI withdrawals if you only stopped it recently. These will go with time but they make mental withdrawal from opiates worse.

I would cut my dose by 50% for a week and jump from there. time it for a weekend. good luck whatever you decide.