• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Stomach pain and alcohol

Survival0200

Bluelighter
Hi! I sometimes get this slight stomach pain on the ride side of my upper stomach after drinking. I wonder if it's the liver? Or could it be gastritis or IBS? Thanks!

It definitely could be IBS. Some people’s IBS follows a pattern. Specific triggers. Defined symptoms. Mine changes. I’ll get into cycles of constipation then cycles of diarrhea. Sometimes I can drink coffee, other times it will ruin my entire day. It’s like that for me with lots of foods and drinks, including alcohol.

I’ve had excruciating pain in my stomach from constipation and gas. But the most intense pain when I used to binge drink was actually from acid reflux. When it gets really bad you can feel it all through your stomach and abdomen all the way up to your throat.

^yeah seconded for acid reflux.

It could also be lactose (in wine) or wheat (in beer/lager/other stuff). They are two common causes of acid reflux/stomach pains/IBS issues.

Could be stomach or liver. I'd recommend seeing your doctor if it doesn't go away.

I have chronic pain in my upper right abdomen, like under my rib cage. I was a daily drinker until about a year ago, and I still drink but just not daily....I had to cut back to drinking a few times a week due to heartburn/stomach issues. I've had multiple tests, ultrasounds, a stomach scope, you name it. All came back normal (for the most part, see my next paragraph for details of the only abnormal results I ever had), with no evidence of anything other than chronic heartburn. The heartburn used to be mild, but over the past year it has become unbearable and I now have to take Prilosec or Nexium daily to keep it at a manageable level. Still, you should get it checked out just to make sure.

*At one point my liver enzymes came back as being elevated and they said I had a fatty liver, and that was my sign to change and stop drinking every day. I've had normal liver enzymes ever since then.

Upper right quadrant pain and the history of alcohol use would lean me towards liver pain. And the increased liver function tests.

Any pain after fatty food?

Last edited:
It definitely could be IBS. Some people’s IBS follows a pattern. Specific triggers. Defined symptoms. Mine changes. I’ll get into cycles of constipation then cycles of diarrhea. Sometimes I can drink coffee, other times it will ruin my entire day. It’s like that for me with lots of foods and drinks, including alcohol.

I’ve had excruciating pain in my stomach from constipation and gas. But the most intense pain when I used to binge drink was actually from acid reflux. When it gets really bad you can feel it all through your stomach and abdomen all the way up to your throat.
Just went to the er Sunday and I felt the same thing I have alcoholic gastritis. I didn't throw up noacid reflux in my throat just pain that I thought was heart, pancreas or liver thank god it wasn't. Blood work igood,and besides back and hip issues the CT didn't show any abnormality in my stomach. I've had to limit coffee and changed my diet. Didn't have nausea but just started for 2 day's. If you have it don't eat till your full and I have been tapering on vodka dlute it more and no sugary mixer's. Going cold turkey for me is dangerous and I am trying not to do meth and gonna cut down OP. If you can get checked but I'm to wait till a gastroenterologist gets a hold of me to get scoped for ulcer check.