• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Stimulants

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
although many people have experienced both the effects of nicotine and caffeine, and there is plenty of information about their effects online, I thought it would be useful to have a discussion regarding how the effects of these two compounds compare to each other especially when taken alone. this is especially relevant when it comes to the debate regarding E cigarettes and apparently the major tobacco companies often present nicotine as no less harmful than caffeine and rather place it in the same class.
I’ll start by giving my own experience of both stimulants and hopefully others can share theirs to.
Caffeine:
I am a heavy caffeine user, usually drinking 4 cups of freshly brewed Coffee every morning and sometimes a monster energy drink on top if I get hold of one. I find that caffeine is energising but it really depends on the circumstances. Personally, I only like to consume caffeine after having a very good nights sleep because I find it very rewarding, But if I consume it when sleep deprived all I get is strong anxiety and restlessness along with depression. Overall, I find caffeine to be physically stimulating and slightly mood elevating and overall quite pleasant. However, in some cases it can make me a little overexcited/agitated but this is rare usually occurring in very high stress situations I find that quitting caffeine, which I do for the holy month of Ramadan since I am Muslim, has some major benefits once withdrawal is over. These include profoundly deep and refreshing sleep, greater resistance to stress, greater appreciation for food and a strange sense of euphoria after eating and a general sense of calm. However, I generally return to using caffeine after Ramadan because it helps me get out of bed in the morning much quicker and without it, it can take me several hours after awakening to reach Peak energy levels.
nicotine:
I am not a smoker, but I love the effects of nicotine either from chewing tobacco or from vaping products and nicotine replacement therapy. interestingly, I find that nicotine has stimulant effects but they are qualitatively different from those of caffeine. The euphoria from the initial dose is far stronger and it can be quite disappointing when this wears off. Note that reddosing shortly after is not beneficial and likely brings about negative mood and physical discomfort including nausea and dizziness as in my case. In terms of physical effects, nicotine seems to produce lightheadedness, elevated heart rate and sometimes a feeling of extra strength at least for me once I build up a tolerance to the dizziness. However, I find nicotine has some really interesting effects on me when I use it regularly. Unlike occasional use which is euphoric, I find that long-term use has a mood elevating and persistent antidepressant effect. I also find it has a beneficial desensitising effect on emotions in that it allows me to push through difficult and stressful situations such as heavy studying and university assignments like a robot whilst not affecting my emotions when it comes to interacting with other people or going about my daily life.
comparison:
In terms of stimulant effects, caffeine is more physically stimulating and energising with a mild but noticeable mood lift providing I am not incredibly stressed or sleep deprived. Meanwhile nicotine is more subtle and more focused on the mind especially with chronic use. Furthermore, unlike caffeine which produces somewhat of a kick, nicotine simply assist me in carrying out whatever task I intended by taking the edge off emotions and helping me focus.
In regards to bodyweight, I find that both stimulants have caused me to unintentionally lose weight, although there are some key differences. With caffeine, I think the weight loss is due to increased activity and decreased food consumption but rather than resulting from appetite suppression, it seems to be more a case of me replacing food with an alternative habit. Furthermore, the weight loss impacts seem to decrease when I have consumed caffeine heavily for months. On the other hand, nicotine is again more subtle but its impacts seem to increase over time which is unusual. It seems to have a stronger appetite suppressing effect but also gives me incredible muscle strength which many may find hard to believe. In fact, I really shocked my brother who is far heavier than me when I was able to lift him above my shoulders after consuming nicotine. However, I think that much of the weight loss comes from a combination of metabolic effects, appetite suppression and perhaps increased activity.
Finally, where the stimulants really differ for me is in their affects on sleep. I rarely take any stimulant before bedtime because I value my sleep, however I have done it for the sake of experimenting or accidentally. With caffeine, sleep is usually impossible and trying to lie in bed creates feelings of agitation and restlessness. This worsens as tiredness sets in but even in the event I was able to sleep this sleep is of very poor quality. By the time the caffeine has worn off in the morning, I would feel extremely tired, depressed, disorientated agitated, cognitively impaired and generally unwell. On the other hand, the effects of nicotine are again more subtle but perhaps more powerful in a strange way. It does not eliminate the sensation of sleepiness and tiredness and can in fact work with these feelings to impart a strong sense of relaxation and calm. However when it comes to sleep itself, I find that a strong dose of nicotine will completely prevent sleep onset throughout the night. However, unlike caffeine which promotes agitation and restlessness, I find nicotine allows me to lie in bed calm and relaxed and I can actually accept The fact that I will not sleep that night furthermore, if I do manage to achieve sleep whilst on nicotine, these spells will be only a few minutes in duration and resemble sleep paralysis in that my body becomes immobilised but I am semi conscious of my surroundings. I actually found this quite entertaining, especially on a dark winter night when the wind was howling loudly outside and raindrops banging against the window. I must say it’s actually felt quite spiritual but not scary in the way that psychedelics might be. When the nicotine wears off in the morning, unlike caffeine, I am quickly able to fall asleep yet even if I don’t, I am not left tired, agitated and depressed. Yes I am very tired but this can be remedied with a few hours of sleep and my sleep pattern is not usually ruined as it would be by caffeine consumption at night.

I have no doubt that both caffeine and nicotine can be responsibly used as safe and effective stimulants and also that in general nicotine is more risky and addictive than caffeine. However, in my opinion I will happily ditch caffeine and replace it with nicotine if I was able to get hold of sufficient supplies which I plan to do once I am employed and financially independent. Some of my friends have actually joked about my love for nicotine and they seem to think it is an over exaggerated or placebo response, however, I know my own body and mind and I have never felt as good as when I am using nicotine.
Sorry for the rambling post, just that I feel strongly about this issue and I hope others will share their experiences.

I don't get any positive effects from either caffeine or nicotine I just get negative effects when they are not in my system.

So yes they are addictive.

@Neuroprotection hey I'm quite interested in understanding how your narcotic use ties in with your faith, although I don't want to derail this thread. I'd love to see a thread from you discussing it.

Oh and to stay on topic I find that micro dosing caffeine and macro dosing cigarettes keeps me up for days where as drinking monsters and smoking just doesn't give me as bad insomnia.