• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Stims and dopamine Q

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
This thread is regarding IR adderall usage. Depending on one's tolerance to stimulants, is it wasteful to take more after a certain amount? Like for example, wouldn't a large quantity of adderall deplete the brain's dopamine temporarily so essentially redosing would be far less effective? Sometimes I go on speedruns--like once or twice a month. After a certain point it feels as though redosing after the second time is totally useless. I wonder if it is like this for all stimulants. It is really the only substance I find enjoyable in my life anymore. Being grown up sucks. Just curious as to how adderall affects the brain's dopamine and how to get the most out of my use without negatively impacting my brain's dopamine system.

Any ways to potentiate adderall itself as well? People who love adderall way too much please lend me your secrets. As far as HR goes... I haven't really noticed any negative consequences of my use. Although my habits do feel very wasteful.

Last edited:
What do you mean exactly by a speedrun.

I dont think (not a doctor) that adderall in theraputic doses 5-60 mg in most people is likely damaging to the dopamine system.

I think its more likely your overestimating possibly due to all the news its ability to make you work and study better. Therefore, if that is your measuring stick your always going to be let down.

What do you mean exactly by a speedrun.

I dont think (not a doctor) that adderall in theraputic doses 5-60 mg in most people is likely damaging to the dopamine system.

I think its more likely your overestimating possibly due to all the news its ability to make you work and study better. Therefore, if that is your measuring stick your always going to be let down.

Some people state that adderall is different from cocaine because there is no urge to redose. I find that personally incredibly untrue. I usually redose during crashes to maintain the up. My doses aren't absurdly high but they are definitely higher than the average person.

I have been wondering if redosing is wasteful though in general because the initial natural dopamine of the brain is already used up. I guess that's what I'm getting at. Sorry if it's worded oddly. 80 milligrams is a typical starting dose and then 40 or so following later in the day and etc. I have been using as such for 3 years now. And then take 2 weeks or more off after using 2-3 days in a row to avoid tolerance increase and adverse health effects.

Although ive never had pharmaceutical Adderall, it's basically racemic amphetamine sulphate which I have had plenty of in the past in the form of street speed. Believe it or not, there was once a time where it was actually quite good (25+ years ago maybe).

I always found there was a 'wall' with sulphate. You'd get the initial euphoric high for a day or so, then the crash would loom. But if you dosed through this crash, you could end up 'living off' the speed like it was a nutrient with every subsequent dose giving you a positive boost. Thos is where I found it really came into it's own as a drug.

This is not good harm reduction btw, and should very much be advised against.

But I fuckin loved it...

Although ive never had pharmaceutical Adderall, it's basically racemic amphetamine sulphate which I have had plenty of in the past in the form of street speed. Believe it or not, there was once a time where it was actually quite good (25+ years ago maybe).

I always found there was a 'wall' with sulphate. You'd get the initial euphoric high for a day or so, then the crash would loom. But if you dosed through this crash, you could end up 'living off' the speed like it was a nutrient with every subsequent dose giving you a positive boost. Thos is where I found it really came into it's own as a drug.

This is not good harm reduction btw, and should very much be advised against.

But I fuckin loved it...

Well it could be. ;) If I am taking way more than I need to it would negatively impact my health hehehe. I suppose I may be asking questions not too many people really know the answer to. Everyone asks questions about how to get the highest they can off of meth. So many are ripping meth bongs on Bluelight now. I refuse to graduate from meth. Not that I am judgmental towards addicts of any kind.

I have a hypothesis that part of why stimulant users hit a "wall" after a while is similar to why endurance runners will experience a "wall" after exerting themselves for a certain duration - low blood sugar causes most of your body to switch to fatty acids as a power source, which is less useful, to preserve glucose for your brain... low blood sugar can do all sorts of negative things for cognition and emotion, and it's a documented fact that amphetamines will reduce calorie intake.

Maybe try having a meal, or at least a sugary drink or something, to see if the crash is reduced somewhat.

Would explain why i drink a ~ 20 oz soda on adderall xr 55 mg consumed normally roughly 5 hours after taking it then switch to diet soda after a full meal.

Dont recommend honestly while it does pep me right backup its prob worse for me than the actual drug itself.

A good habit to get into if you're finding it hard to eat enough calories in a day is making some kiefer, if you can stomach the sour taste. You can easily ferment it at home and it's got a lot of nutrients in it, some of which help the body to replenish dopamine. If you drink it every day it smooths out the comedown from stimulant runs a bit too.

I have a hypothesis that part of why stimulant users hit a "wall" after a while is similar to why endurance runners will experience a "wall" after exerting themselves for a certain duration - low blood sugar causes most of your body to switch to fatty acids as a power source, which is less useful, to preserve glucose for your brain... low blood sugar can do all sorts of negative things for cognition and emotion, and it's a documented fact that amphetamines will reduce calorie intake.

Maybe try having a meal, or at least a sugary drink or something, to see if the crash is reduced somewhat.
Yeah I eat and drink protein it makes the crash not even half as bad as when I’m malnourished/dehydrated

A good habit to get into if you're finding it hard to eat enough calories in a day is making some kiefer, if you can stomach the sour taste. You can easily ferment it at home and it's got a lot of nutrients in it, some of which help the body to replenish dopamine. If you drink it every day it smooths out the comedown from stimulant runs a bit too.
I'm sorry what is this legendary kiefer you talk about?! Smoothies are great for stimulant runs.

I think he means kefir. It's a fermented milk product. A bit like yogurt.
wiki said:
Traditional kefir is fermented at ambient temperatures, generally overnight. Fermentation of the lactose yields a sour, carbonated, slightly alcoholic beverage, with a consistency and taste similar to drinkable yogurt.

I prefer Greek yogurt myself. Full fat.

Are the stimulant effects of Adderall 100 % a function of its dopamine action? I've noticed that even when euphoric effects (which I associated with dopamine) are maxed out on amphetamines it is possible to get more basic stimulant effects from them (so I wondered whether different mechanism of action). So maybe you can't get any happier re-dosing but you may be able to go harder, faster longer by continuing to take more. This is my experierience of meth, although there too there seems to be a wall that puts you to sleep once you hit it (if the psychosis doesn't get you first).

In either case 80 mg Adderall does not seem a very large dose to be hitting walls at any point - but everybody is different I guess. i would expect diminishing returns from further doses perhaps but not a wall at that level.

Are the stimulant effects of Adderall 100 % a function of its dopamine action? I've noticed that even when euphoric effects (which I associated with dopamine) are maxed out on amphetamines it is possible to get more basic stimulant effects from them (so I wondered whether different mechanism of action). So maybe you can't get any happier re-dosing but you may be able to go harder, faster longer by continuing to take more. This is my experierience of meth, although there too there seems to be a wall that puts you to sleep once you hit it (if the psychosis doesn't get you first).

In either case 80 mg Adderall does not seem a very large dose to be hitting walls at any point - but everybody is different I guess. i would expect diminishing returns from further doses perhaps but not a wall at that level.

I've notice something similar too--sort of. Sometimes I benefit past 80 milligrams and other times it's useless. I think what you're asking might totally depend on individual tolerance and brain chemistry. I'm not quite sure though!

norepinephrine release is actually responsible for most of the "stimulating" effects of cocaine, methylphenidate & amphetamines, people often forget that!
That makes sense - so if you take drugs like anti-psychotics that inhibit dopamine release you might lose the euphoric effects (dopamine) but can still feel highly stimulated because they do not impact the norepinephrine system?

norepinephrine release is actually responsible for most of the "stimulating" effects of cocaine, methylphenidate & amphetamines, people often forget that!

I'm sorry but I have no scientific background lol. So...... this means what?

Basically, norepinephrine = noradrenaline

Adrenaline like basically gets your body pumping and blood flowing.

(Oversimplified and im not qualified)

Hope this helps