• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Medicine Stand on One Foot v. Die Within 10yrs

jasperkent

Bluelighter
Like we need something new to worry about:

A new study finds that if you cannot stand on one foot for 10 seconds, you are almost twice as likely to die within 10 years.

i made it 25 seconds before my calf started hurting, i'm a bit wobbly so could probably do better than that.

i can see how its a proxy for overall health, but the article makes clear that this is for middle aged and older people, and they did not take many lifestyle factors into account.

that said, i wonder if someone with stage 4 cancer could stand on one leg for10s? i can't see how a fungating breast tumour would interfere with balance but it certainly suggests that death is near.

i think i'd categorise the ability to stand on one leg similarly to BMI, its a proxy that suggests diagnostic and treatment routes, but contextual information is essential for obtaining the best patient outcomes.

so glad i'm not a doctor, humans are complicated as fuck.

I'd assume this correlates with muscle weakness, neurological issues, severe joint issues and other markers of fatal aging.

Not gonna lie, I get a little angsty everytime I see a correlation between a lifestyle thing and a health outcome reported on.

The whole thing tickled the hell out of me.

Imagine: A cop's field sobriety test lets you know if you need to hurry up and write that will.

(frankly, if you're in the habit of driving drunk you probably should get those final wishes on paper soon)