• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc SSRI's... How do they feel?

neal301

Greenlighter
Hey all,

Do ssri's make you feel 'good' after taking them for a month? More energy? happier?

I dont have any serious problems but I wonder if life would be better on it.

Thanks!

Hi neal! I do not have any first hand experience but from what I have seen with friends and family of friends - I would not recommend them even if you feel you need them. I would be more inclined to suggest looking into medicinal marijuana than anything else for all around mood enhancement [if that is what it does for you]. But man, all I have heard about SSRIs is do not start them. And once you do you will be on them possibly for the rest of your life. I am not really educated on the psychomechanics of how SSRIs work within the brain but I do know it is very serious and you certainly cannot up and quit CT after a month if you decided you didn't like em.

Thats my 2 cents.

God bless

If you're not depressed, they won't do anything except potentially give you side effects.

If you're depressed, especially severely, they can literally save your life. But they don't make you "feel good", they just make you "not feel depressed".

They feel like nothing, or rather, they will make you feel nothing. For someone with major depressive disorder feeling nothing is actually considered an improvement.

Hi neal! I do not have any first hand experience but from what I have seen with friends and family of friends - I would not recommend them even if you feel you need them. I would be more inclined to suggest looking into medicinal marijuana than anything else for all around mood enhancement [if that is what it does for you]. But man, all I have heard about SSRIs is do not start them. And once you do you will be on them possibly for the rest of your life. I am not really educated on the psychomechanics of how SSRIs work within the brain but I do know it is very serious and you certainly cannot up and quit CT after a month if you decided you didn't like em.

Thats my 2 cents.

God bless
I believe you're taking about benzos..

SSRIs are not just prescribed for depression.
I am prescribed citalopram (20mg per day) for anger management.

SSRIs feel serotonergic (funnily enough). They don't get you high but if you're experienced with MDMA or psychedelic drugs then you'll probably feel a slight difference.
For the first week I felt a bit sleepier and yawned a lot.

They will do nothing for you if you don't have a problem (e.g., depression, OCD, etc.) that an SSRI would help. In VERY simple terms, SSRIs helps the mechanism of cellular processing of serotonin reach normal or steady levels (read here for a more cogent explanation -- me sux at science!). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor

If your mental state is already 'normal' the SSRI will not make you 'more' normal or happier. Ask anyone who uses them (and for whom they work) for depression; it's not like they make you superhappy or give you boundless energy. When SSRIs work they return you to YOUR normal. Compared to the deep dark pit of depression, or spending hours OCDing over stuff, your return to 'normal' IS subjectively a "superhappy" state because the opposite was so damn dark. And let's say you're in a temporary "funk"; the SSRI won't help because it takes ~4-6 weeks to kick in and level your brain chemistry. If you're temporarily feeling blue the SSRI won't cheer you up because you are in a situational depression as opposed to a depression due to chemical imbalance.

I wouldn't waste my time or money.

SSRI's are true lifesavers for people with depression (Andrew Solomon's book, _Noonday Demon_ has great details). As others have noted, though, if you aren't dealing with depression, I don't think you could expect anything from them aside from some minor side-effects: goodbye, libido.
For what it's worth, my own experience with SSRI's has been going on for about 15 years. To me, the effect of zoloft has always been to make it impossible to *stay* depressed. In other words, I can still feel. But when the bad stuff comes around, it doesn't stay around if I'm on zoloft. It totally saved my ass.

Hey all,

Do ssri's make you feel 'good' after taking them for a month? More energy? happier?

I dont have any serious problems but I wonder if life would be better on it.

Thanks!

they feel like nothing they do nothing to me.
except negate my libido and give me brain zaps coming off of them
Antipsychotics helped my emotional problems way more, and the only side effect i get from my current AP regimen is less energy

SSRI's make me very angry and prone to violent thoughts.

Effexor, an SSNRI, worked wonders for me, but getting off it was bad. I dont take psychotropics anymore. Maybe I should though.

Personally, I believe in holistic/homeopathic remedies. Ive read that anxiety and other things can come from something as simple as a magnesium defficiancy. I think all these pills are ways for pharmaceutical companies to make billions of dollars. Not saying some people don't need them, just that they are over prescribed in a modern world where hardly anyone gets the proper nutrition and exercise and such.

I've tried every SSRI but Zoloft and Paxil. They really don't "feel" like anything. I saw no improvement in my energy levels, sleeping or eating habits...just a gradual evening out of my mood. The highs aren't as high and the lows aren't as low, which is an okay tradeoff if you have severe depression. SSRIs aren't as helpful for mild/moderate depression IMO.

They will do nothing for you if you don't have a problem (e.g., depression, OCD, etc.) that an SSRI would help. In VERY simple terms, SSRIs helps the mechanism of cellular processing of serotonin reach normal or steady levels (read here for a more cogent explanation -- me sux at science!). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor

Your right about not using them unless you need them (even then you should think twice, as Numnums stated). But if you don't need them they won't just do nothing. They could seriously throw off your brain chemistry. And I think its more involved then just opiate receptors or dopamine receptors. Worse case scenario you become permanently depressed and commit suicide but the likely hood is low. It probably wouldn't do anything, unless you used it over a period of time.

Much Love, Peace.

Agomelatine and Moclobemide are way better antidepressants than SSRIs
and have less sexual side effects.
Moclobemide has even been shown to increase testosterone levels in men.

They feel like they should be fucking banned cuz fuck those pills.

I rather smoke crack than go on SSRIs. Tbh they should be scheduled 1'd as IMO they have no medical purpose and a high rate for abuse among the "clinically depressed"

I think it really depends what you are taking them for, but I agree that you don't "feel" them apart from the initial adjustment period.

I'm currently on Citalopram for mild GAD & I don't even notice I am taking them anymore. I'm just largely anxiety free.

As for people who say they don't work, or will give you sexual side effects that can be true but it is highly dependent on the individual. I have absolutely none of the sexual side effects from my SSRI.

They feel like they should be fucking banned cuz fuck those pills.

I rather smoke crack than go on SSRIs. Tbh they should be scheduled 1'd as IMO they have no medical purpose and a high rate for abuse among the "clinically depressed"

I'd rather be depressed than be on SSRIs tbh. I have MDD and schizoaffective, but the MDD was diagnosed when i was 16 i was given different SSRIs i tried.
The side effects were bad and they didn't help.
I told my doctor, and his answer was always "Let's increase the dose!"

I'd rather be depressed than be on SSRIs tbh. I have MDD and schizoaffective, but the MDD was diagnosed when i was 16 i was given different SSRIs i tried.
The side effects were bad and they didn't help.
I told my doctor, and his answer was always "Let's increase the dose!"

Hahah let's increase the brain chemistry fuck up!
Man it's sad to see how many people have become victims to Big Pharma's lies. I'll never put ANY of my kids on any of those pills. We all experience these natural emotions so why fuck people up by telling them it's a disorder?

So many people give SSRIs a bad reputation, but they're not that bad. I've been on 50mg sertraline (zoloft) per day for 18 months ( + doxepin, that might be affecting things) and to be honest, that drug allowed me to live a fairly normal life. Most of my obsessive thoughts and my depression disappeared.

Do they make you feel good? No. I think they actually reduce happiness. Many people would agree that SSRIs do not really make you happy, they make you stable.

Since you said that you don't have any serious problem, I strongly recommend you stay away from SSRIs.

Hahah let's increase the brain chemistry fuck up!
Man it's sad to see how many people have become victims to Big Pharma's lies. I'll never put ANY of my kids on any of those pills. We all experience these natural emotions so why fuck people up by telling them it's a disorder?

Yeah that's kinda how I feel about it, more or less. I never really "believed" in disorders that needed those types of meds, but after being so down myself lately I am starting to rethink.

However I am only 6 days into a .5mg sub kick/a small H kick. and that's been going on for a while. so naturally I should be a little depressed, and will be taking a SSRI just for a couple weeks, to re stabilize.

i took a wellbutrin one time and i felt a bit more confident, very calm overall and i felt like "this is how it should be"