• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

SSRI of choice?? Is there a best?

Side effects of SSRI’s, include
decreased sexual interest in men and increased sexual interest in women
Increased sexual drive in women? Bullshit. SSRI's decrease libido in both men and women. Please provide some reference or proof.
ejaculation problems
You mean delayed ejaculation, I assume.
menstrual changes.
What? Since when? Please provide a reference or some proof please before you start making these claims.

Doubledeed: is there a reason you're telling me all this? and i'm definitley with NYTFLY.
DJPlaydo: my friend who has been on prozac for over 5 years takes GHB, acid, shrooms, coke, pot, and drinks on a regular basis. he will also roll, but very seldom. granted, even his doctor says this is an extremely risky style for someone with his condition, but if you mean is it physically safe?, than yes, at least with him, as he is my only basis of reference.
peace, outkast

Here's quite comprehensive article about sexual side-effects of
SSRI use.
Rosen RC, Lane RM, Menza M. Effects of SSRIs on Sexual Funtion:
A Critical Review. J Clin Psychopharmacol 19(1):67-85, 1999.
NYTFLY, this article also contains some references to case
reports describing increased sexual function, they seem to
be pretty rare.

I'm not to concerned about mixing it with other drugs, I just wanted to know if there is one anti-depressant that seems to work better than the others. IE: One that makes you "happier" and "more normal" than others. But it seems from the posts it all depends on the person. The more I read the most I tend to think that Paxil is pretty strong, but I have no real basis to make that conclusion. I'm not to worried about side-effects from SSRI's, but I would like one that will actually work.
DJ Playd0h

NYTFLY, this article also contains some references to case reports describing increased sexual function, they seem to be pretty rare.
I think they're anomalous and not represented via any sort of physiological means. For example, successful dysthymia treatment may lead to increased interactivity in interpersonal relationships as well as higher self-esteem, which could account for an increased pleasure seeking and hence sexual activity. I mean, we're not talking about amineptine here; there's just no physiological basis that I've come across. But then again...you never know...