• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Sports stars or teams that left you feeling proud of the nation you come from

Boku_

Bluelighter
Say in the last 25-30 years.

My most proud moment as an Australian sports fan was in November of 2005 when the national Australian Socceroos team finally managed to get the monkey off their back and secure a place in the Germany 2006 World cup finals.

They did this by winning a penalty shootout against Urguyauy and the only thing better than watching that game at a pub was watching Australia beat Japan in the 2006 world cup group stage good and proper.

Growing up in the 1980s and 1990s I got used to seeing Australia's national football team the Socceroo's come close to world cup finals qualification only to lose.

This lack of international success for Australia in soccer when I was younger meant I also followed my mother's country of birth the republic of Ireland and IMO the biggest day in Irish international sport was the Euro 88 victory over England.

Followed by the republic of Ireland football team victory over Italy in the group stage of USA 94.

Ireland did well under manager Jack Charlton and at Italia 90 got some good results too.

The only other bonafide Irish sports champions on an international stage I can think of is Conar McGregor in MMA and for Northern Ireland the golfer Rory McIlroy and Eddie Irvine the grand prix driver.

I'm not a huge test match cricket fan and I couldn't give two shits about the Aussie vs poms Ashes series but I don't mind 50 over ODIs or twenty20s tournaments like the Champions trophy or world cup that Australia is always competitive at but I miss the days when the Irish cricket team took part in the world cup and beat Pakistan as well England.

I'm not into Rugby Union or Rugby league but I can respect our rivalry with New Zealand in both codes of Rugby.

Aussies are good at tennis too but that's not my fave Sport.

One Australian national Sports team that is showing a lot of promise leading into the Tokyo Olympic games is the Australian Men's basketball team the boomers.

With NBA All Star Ben Simmons putting his hands up to play for the boomers plus the remaining starting lineup for the boomers all NBA based players we could be in with a chance to win a medal at the basketball world cup or Olympic games. I know the Aussie boomers haven't won anything yet but I reckon a full strength boomer team will make Australia proud.

Other proud moments in Australian sports international history would have to be the 2000 Sydney Olympic games where Cathy Freeman the Aboriginal Australian runner won gold in the 400 metres sprint.

Another highlight of the Sydney Olympic games was all the gold our swim team won in the pool.

From what I have seen on Tv Australia winning the Americas cup yatch race in the ,80s was a massive victory for Australia on the international sporting events calendar

now over to you North American or European Sports fans for your national Sports teams or individual athletes that left you feeling proud of your country

If anyone from Asia or Eastern Europe has examples to list I would be especially interested.

In the name of balance if American Sports fans what to list NFL or NBA Sports stars or teams that made you proud I can not see a reason against it

Thank you for allowing the US sports fans to post.

Boston.

I think I won.

Attachments

• ianzJnf.jpg
    ianzJnf.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 0
Honestly nationality isn't everything Mal

Just list what pro Athletes or teams you admire

Honestly nationality isn't everything Mal

Just list what pro Athletes or teams you admire

Ok sweet, well my problem now will be trying to narrow it down. I admire so many athletes for their amazing work ethic and their ability to handle such high stakes atmospheres on a daily basis. Rising above personal struggles to be there for their teammates and/or fans.

Top of my list is probably Cam Newton. His entire career since before college has been a mixture of high highs and low lows, devastating injuries, ownership/management controversies. He's been one of the most over analyzed and criticized athletes ever, on par with someone like LeBron, but has had to deal with much more difficult rules in the NFL vs the NBA. (As far as athlete mobility and team building)

Has stayed almost entirely positive and optimistic throughout...some would say with child like giddiness.

I will post more later :)

Last edited: