speeding tickets and court

faithfully dangerous

Ex-Bluelighter
hey guys.

tonight i got my third moving violation within a year. yeah, i went three years without a single tickets, accident, NOTHING... and then POOF i get three within a year. lovely.

anyhow, i have to show up in court in a week. i was going 52 in a 35 (i did not know the speed had changed, but it had about 1/4 mile back). i got pulled over in my neighborhood where he stated that i had to have been going much faster (which was definitely not true as i am VERY careful about speeding in my neighborhood because cops are ALWAYS sitting outside my complex waiting for speeders).

when he asked me if i'd had a moving violation in the past year i said yes. when he returned to my car he told me there was no record of anything in the past and i looked confused. i told the truth and said yes, there was, and maybe he should double check. big mistake: i ended up getting fucked because it's my third. now i have to go to court and the ticket WILL be over 200 bucks. thats 200 bucks i dont have for SURE. is there any way i can refute that, citing the cop's mistake? or am i fucked because i was HONEST?

when i first got pulled over, all i could do was cry. this day has been the worst ever, but i didnt tell the cop that. i DID tell him that i was very sick and that i had been out of work for a month now because of how sick i'd been. he was not sympathetic at all! bummer haha.

regardless, i'm wondering: what is the correct way of going about trying to get the fines lowered or possibly getting the ticket dropped? is there any way i can "pay" the fine without money--- like community service, going to a driving class, etc?

also: last april, when i got pulled over (which was for a bullshit reason but whatever) i payed a small amount (i forget, my dad wrote the check and took it out of my account) to the DMV to "open" my file. i don't believe i paid the whole thing off, unless my dad did for me and he didn't tell me. could that have been why they didn't see my previous violations on record right away? also, will that come up in court? if i hadnt admitted to it tonight with the cop, would it have come up in court regardless?

i really want to know what my rights are here. i've NEVER been to court EVER and i'm nervous as hell. i've read some threads in here but i don't know what plea bargaining is... or anything else i read.

help me, please!!!!

Go to court. Im sure you already heard of this;

If you go to dispute your ticket in court, and the officer who wrote your ticket does not show up, the case is shut in your favour and you'll pay nada.

However - if he does show up, be prepared to defend your claim.

^I'm pretty sure that thing about "If the cop doesn't show up, the ticket is tossed out." is just urban legend and rumour.

I have friends who have gone to court under that pretense, the cop didn't show, and they still had to pay out the ass.

another question: will i have to pay right away in court? will the judge allow for a payment plan? i know that soemone i know who had a dui was able to pay in payments.

If you go to dispute your ticket in court, and the officer who wrote your ticket does not show up, the case is shut in your favour and you'll pay nada.

If you contest a traffic violation, the police officer will be subpoenaed to testify. If the officer does not show up, he is in cotempt of court. Besides, most police officers get paid overtime for going to court, so it would be silly for them not to go.

As for the original question, all you can do is plead you case in front of the judge. You could get a lawyer, but you would probably end up paying more money. If you are sincere enough, some judges will show you mercy. Some courts will allow you to make payments on fines, if you can't afford to pay them all at once. In the worst case scenario, you will lose your license until you can pay all your fines.

^^thanks. should i take money with me to court? i am going to have to get a cash credit advancement thingy for this since i've been out of work for so long.

ok! turns out i have to get a lawyer. this is considered a 3rd degree misdemeanor and i could be facing up to 30 days in jail, no less than a $250 fine, and other implications such as a license suspension.

i meet with an attourney tomorrow at 2. i understand the jailtime can be dropped. regarding the license suspension: how easy is it to get work/school privledges? is there any way to get fines lowered by offereing to go to driving classes or doing community service? what about shortening the time of the suspension?

What state do you live in? There might be minimum mandatory sentences/fines involved. Also, in order to look up information on hardship licenses, I would have to know the state.

Do you know how many points are being asessed for each moving violation? What were the different violations? It seems that you are facing a suspension for having too many points on your license. You can read about it here:

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/12point.html

Your lawyer might be able to work something out to where you don't have to have your license suspended.

i'll only be at 6 points.

i met with my lawyer... we're working a deal with the prosecutor so my fine will be less but i'll get the two points. no jail time thank goodness, but i may lose my license. our goal is to convince the judge to let me keep my license.

any tips on waht to say? anyone?

Anyone could offer some advice as to general things you should say. But, the person you should be asking this question to is your lawyer. She/he is most familiar with this particular judges idiosyncrasies and basically knows what the judge wants to hear.

I would however recommend that you and not your lawyer (or in addition to your lawyer's plea) stand and make a passionate plea to the court that what you have done is wrong and you accept full responsibility for your actions but that w/o your license you will surely lose your job...etc. It also helps if there is someone else that depends upon you to drive them to the doctor or grocery store, etc. This, will (hopefully) cause the judge to have a fleeting thought that taking your driving privileges away will hurt not only you but others as well. Crying never hurts either.;)

^wow, good point. thanks.

see, i AM my mother's eyes. she is basically blind (completely in one eye, over half in the other) -- do you think if i had documentation that proved that she was legally blind and needed me to drive it would help my case?

i know i should talk to my lawyer about it, and we ARE meeting again, but i want some outside advice yknow? my lawyer is just soemone through my school for free so yeah...

ive gone to court for 4 tickets and all 4 times the cops didnt show and i got off.

faithfully dangerous said:
^wow, good point. thanks.

see, i AM my mother's eyes. she is basically blind (completely in one eye, over half in the other) -- do you think if i had documentation that proved that she was legally blind and needed me to drive it would help my case?

i know i should talk to my lawyer about it, and we ARE meeting again, but i want some outside advice yknow? my lawyer is just soemone through my school for free so yeah...

I would recommend bringing your mother with you to court. While the documentation may be admissible, the matter will carry much more weight if she is with you.

Good luck.

ALWAYS!!! fight your moving violations....i think i have gotten off of half cause of no-show cops!!!!

and get a medical statement about your mom and bring her with u....they should let u keep you driving

AND SLOW DOWN!!!

potted meat-- she cannot know about this!! plus, shes two hours away.

thanks for the advice guys-- court on the 15th eek