• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Socially Crippling Side-Effect of Ketamine?

Cabbanis Lifestyle

Bluelighter
Guys,

I am a beginner in the world of Ketamine. I don't usually consume it, but I'm interested in knowing about it.

In this last year, I worked in an environment in which I got to speak to many patients who medicated on legal Ketamine coming straight from the shelves of a pharmacy.

The patients were always excited to talk about ketamine and it really seemed that the substance helped them.

The trouble is that in almost all these interactions I noticed a sharp side effect of Ketamine that in my opinion is socially crippling.

This side effect is extremely hard to put into scientific language if the research is not focused on this because it's felt by the people around the user and not the user themselves.

I noticed that people who used Ketamine in the last hour would engage in single-sided conversations with no regard as to if the other person was interested in the conversation.

On these occasions, it was obvious that the person was overjoyed to talk and expose their ideas and they had visible pleasure in talking without end. The trouble is that they would never stop to listen.

It really felt they were incapable to stop and see if the other person was interested in the conversation, they just kept going and going and going literally for hours (HOURS).

Do you think this perspective makes sense?

Is this something that actually happens to Ketamine users across the board or it was just an impression?

What conclusions can I make from this assessment?

You can conclude nothing effectively whatsoever. How many of these people have you met? Why are they taking medical ketamine? In what way are they taking it? How long after they’ve taken it are they speaking to you?

Honestly, I would imagine you’ve noticed something once and are now being biased in regards to other users. Or maybe you’re the socially awkward one?

I have talked with more than 20 people who medicate with pharmaceutical-grade Ketamine taken nasally with an asthma pump and I could tell right away that they were under the effect based on how one-sided the conversation was. Also the characteristic Keta rhythm and the hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating).

I used to work in a smart shop in Amsterdam and I got a lot of tourists (especially Canada) who would come to tell the wonders of Ketamine. I also lived with people who medicated with Ketamine and when they consumed Ketamine they would get into this never stop-talking mode.

My experience is definitely not conclusive and I don't have enough evidence for me to solidify a belief about this subject.

I'd like to see scientific research that accounts for the people who interact daily with Ketamine patients.

I reached this point of thought when I tried Ketamine myself and noticed that I was unable to catch fundamental social cues.

My own rule for Ketamine is that I can't use it if I plan on talking of someone else. Especially if they are sober.

To illustrate:​

I was working behind the counter and a customer cames in. This person is from Canada and shows me the product he bought in Canada that is basically a liquid solution of Ketamine available legally in the pharmacies.

We have a very interesting conversation and the rapport is great until they get into a trance-like state in which they are unable to stop for two (TWO!) hours. I just managed to end the conversation when my colleague came to work from his shift and he made me the favour to put an end to the conversation that I was unable to finish.

This person looked like a highly educated person and he looked like someone who would be aware of basic social cues, but as the interaction progressed he showed no signs of recognizing the most basic social cues I sent out.

Last edited:
Guys,

I am a beginner in the world of Ketamine. I don't usually consume it, but I'm interested in knowing about it.

In this last year, I worked in an environment in which I got to speak to many patients who medicated on legal Ketamine coming straight from the shelves of a pharmacy.

The patients were always excited to talk about ketamine and it really seemed that the substance helped them.

The trouble is that in almost all these interactions I noticed a sharp side effect of Ketamine that in my opinion is socially crippling.

This side effect is extremely hard to put into scientific language if the research is not focused on this because it's felt by the people around the user and not the user themselves.

I noticed that people who used Ketamine in the last hour would engage in single-sided conversations with no regard as to if the other person was interested in the conversation.

On these occasions, it was obvious that the person was overjoyed to talk and expose their ideas and they had visible pleasure in talking without end. The trouble is that they would never stop to listen.

It really felt they were incapable to stop and see if the other person was interested in the conversation, they just kept going and going and going literally for hours (HOURS).

Is this something that actually happens to Ketamine users across the board or it was just an impression?

Well, it's a dissociative. You're less inhibited, there's some ego inflation going on, and many nuances which would (perhaps unconsciously) run through your mind in a conversation get completely lost

What an absolute load of fucking bollox

I take ketamine and so do my friends and if anthing it shuts you up and puts you in a K hole, unless you have a tolerance then yeah it might make you chatty but not the way your talking about, you're on about people on stimulants like coke, so what they was taking wasn't ketamine

LIke today for instance I had stronger K than I normally get and I was slurring, thats how you'll know someone's on K, they sound fucked

I don't know where you got your info from but take it from me you're wrong and give it time and other K heads will tell you so too

Guys,

Have you ever spoken to someone on benzodiazepines..?

I take ketamine and so do my friends and if anthing it shuts you up and puts you in a K hole, unless you have a tolerance then yeah it might make you chatty but not the way your talking about, you're on about people on stimulants like coke, so what they was taking wasn't ketamine

LIke today for instance I had stronger K than I normally get and I was slurring, thats how you'll know someone's on K, they sound fucked

I don't know where you got your info from but take it from me you're wrong and give it time and other K heads will tell you so too
Nice, this is what I was looking for.

My info is merely by interacting with people so i really have no way of knowing if they are under the effects of other substances. Specially that most of these accounts were made by tourists visit a smart shop.

Nice, this is what I was looking for.

Check out posts on Bluelight about ketamine there's a few of us here who have been addicted to it and also take it just on occasion, or more regularly

I love it, and if I had the money I'd be on it more but after a day or so you're tolerance goes way up if you have what they call a "perma-tolerance" or a semi perma tolerance and it doesn't work as well unless you have tolerance breaks, but even then, what used to you in a K hole won't, it's like your brain adapts to it, I was taking it daily for around 2 months and it didn't have much effect but it acted like an stimulant as I'd be awake longer, I can't sleep after taking K, well I have insomnia anyway but even before that I couldn't sleep after K

But my ex would chat shit for ages on K weed and alcohol, but he was a narcissist and very egotistical so liked to talk about himself

But K generally makes people shit up lol

I assume, and seeing as how you’re so very interested in Ketamine, that you’ve read through the below thread?

I definitely need to check this out.

I'll say that I have tried psychedelics and experimented consuming a low dose of Ketamine to induce visions and I had a full on 15minutes visionary trance.

And it had this strange effect that I had my eyes closed and navigated through the visions and i could verbalize what was happening to my partner.

I mean, I was able to find and say some words that vaguely described the visions, but still...

It felt like having a bright light shed on the back of my head, somehow.

Last edited:
Yes and @jhjhsdi has a post about what a very VERY bad K addiction can do to your bladder

I've not had bladder issues but K made me have stomach and oesophagus
inflammation, ulcer and it was agony, the only thing that helped was more K then obviously that caused more stomach problems and oesophagus pain, ulcer that made me get put on strong ant acids, anti sickness pills and supplement drinks as I lost alot of weight, stopped K for around 6 months or more

It happened again recently when I had a K for a week or more every day and you know what I did because of tolerance and stomach and osesophagus pain? I staryed to IM it, so yeah, it's a very addictive drug and doesn't have the effects you're on about

I disagree, can certainly have those 'effects', but it depends more on the person, and obviously dose

I have a funny feeling this guy is talking about people who have taken the nasal spray or the hospital infusion that’s recommended for depression. If so then obviously the person would be a little more chatty and less inhibited. The amount of K they would be medicating would not cause sweating at all.

As has been said though, K is not a drug that makes you chatty or talkative. I used to just enjoy walking about the spongy floor 😂.

Also, I bet the OP has noticed something once and applied it to everyone else.

I think OP is talking of people’s behavior after the fact, aka not necessarily high on Ketamine at the time.. In which case I could maybe see this, NMDA antagonists have the ability to cause manic behavior which could then be seen as what Op describes.

That said, idk if I’ve ever seen this behavior myself in recreational users around me... Although dosages between the two groups varies.

I’ll end with this... We are currently in a global pandemic. When people see another human being they want to conversationally unload having been isolated for so long, likely to the point where maybe they aren’t the best listeners.

Many variables, you may be on to something but wait and see.

-Gc

Thanks so much for all the responses in this thread. It really set the path to clarify this subject to me.

From the little I now understand, it seems like there's no relationship between the perception that I had with the use o Ketamine.

But still there's in the back of my mind an idea that might be true but I don't have evidence to back it, justa a few meaningful experiences.

I could speak from experiences that I had interacting with other users, but I would rather share my point of view.

I love my experiences with Ketamine.

Verbalization was awesome during the trip, the mental landscape became so entertaining and fruitful and, physically I felt really great.

The only reason I don't feel interested in using it regularly is that I don't stay as much time alone as I used to and it was just impossible to be high on Ketamine and keep up with the social cues, as I said in my previous response.

As other members suggested, i am not a natural charismatic. I spent most of my teenage years training myself how to talk to people and consciously making myself socially adept.

I think that this takes away a lot of the natural charm of charisma but gave me insight into some subtleties that I think most scientific research and Ketamine user's would miss.

Used to be, in recent years, that I would spend weeks not talking to anyone, literally.

After a period like that I had to reintroduce myself to social environments because I got rusty in talking to people.

It wasn't clear to me before I read your responses in this thread but now I can see that regarding Ketamine use, I reached the conclusion that if I kept using it I would forget how to live ordinarily. (If this makes sense)

It was like I got a tolerance to the reality change in such a way that I would be excellent during the ketamine high but totally awkward while sober.

I don't know how to tie all of this together, but I'm interested in having a better perspective in this because mine is poor.

Thanks so much for all the responses in this thread. It really set the path to clarify this subject to me.

From the little I now understand, it seems like there's no relationship between the perception that I had with the use o Ketamine.

But still there's in the back of my mind an idea that might be true but I don't have evidence to back it, justa a few meaningful experiences.

I could speak from experiences that I had interacting with other users, but I would rather share my point of view.

I love my experiences with Ketamine.

Verbalization was awesome during the trip, the mental landscape became so entertaining and fruitful and, physically I felt really great.

The only reason I don't feel interested in using it regularly is that I don't stay as much time alone as I used to and it was just impossible to be high on Ketamine and keep up with the social cues, as I said in my previous response.

As other members suggested, i am not a natural charismatic. I spent most of my teenage years training myself how to talk to people and consciously making myself socially adept.

I think that this takes away a lot of the natural charm of charisma but gave me insight into some subtleties that I think most scientific research and Ketamine user's would miss.

Used to be, in recent years, that I would spend weeks not talking to anyone, literally.

After a period like that I had to reintroduce myself to social environments because I got rusty in talking to people.

It wasn't clear to me before I read your responses in this thread but now I can see that regarding Ketamine use, I reached the conclusion that if I kept using it I would forget how to live ordinarily. (If this makes sense)

It was like I got a tolerance to the reality change in such a way that I would be excellent during the ketamine high but totally awkward while sober.

I don't know how to tie all of this together, but I'm interested in having a better perspective in this because mine is poor.

I’m curious, did you mean this behavior was evident while the person was on Ketamine? Or when they were sober between uses?

-GC

OP is talking about small medical doses from an inhaler and not so much larger recreational doses closer to the hole spectrum. Perhaps this difference in dosage could account for the varying effects or produce an inhibition and increased chattiness without regard to social cues. I don't know. Just throwing that idea out there.