• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

So ummm...are E-ciggs illegal in Australia? wtf?

teological

Bluelighter
Hey guys, my girlfriend is a smoker and I am trying to get her to quit. I managed to get her to stop for a few weeks on and off, but she just keeps on going back. I have had a long talk with her and we came to the agreement that if I get her a e-cigarette, she would stop smoking tobacco. She would still get her nicotine fix and the "act" of smoking something. The plan was to let her smoke the vapor until she was ready to give up nicotine herself. Way, way healthier than smoking a pack a day.

It seems I have run into a few problems. They are illegal in Australia? W h a t the FUCK? Is this true?

I have read that if it looks like a ciggy but is not one, it is illegal to sell. If it has nicotine, but is not tobacco, illegal? WTF...do they want us to smoke to death? How come nicotine patches and all that are legal then?

Can anyone please clear this up for me...I do not get it. I mean they have banned everything. What kind of country is this? I am still in disbelief....can someone please clear this up as I can not find proper info.

Thanks.

(I would like my girlfriend to smoke nicotine vapors in a cigarette looking device INSTEAD of smoking carcinogenic tobacco from a real ciggy, how is this illegal?)

E-cigs are legal.

Nicotine juice/extract is classed as a poison, and is illegal, as is snuss (powdered tobacco) afaik.

I highly doubt you would get into trouble for importing it, but I can't suggest it as this is a HR forum.
Selling it (in Aus) would be a different story.

PS there is no gaurentee it will help her quit, but it's worth trying.

e-cigs are nothing like tobacco ime.

Nicotine juice/extract is classed as a poison, and is illegal

http://www.tga.gov.au/consumers/ecigarettes.htm#.UvTNW_mSyTw

Supplying and importing electronic cigarettes

If you are considering supplying and promoting electronic cigarettes, you need to know the following information:

• Products claiming to help people quit smoking are therapeutic goods
  • The importation and supply (including sale) of therapeutic goods is illegal in Australia unless authorised by the TGA.
  • Nicotine is classified by law as a dangerous poison. States and territories have responsibility for regulating dangerous poisons. In all states and territories, the retail sale of nicotine is an offence unless a permit has been issued by the relevant state or territory authority. In some states and territories, obtaining, purchasing, possession and/or using nicotine without a permit is an offence. In most jurisdictions there are similar controls on manufacturing (including mixing), storage, labelling and packaging and other aspects of dangerous poisons. For details, contact the relevant state or territory health agency. These state and territory laws have not been overridden by Commonwealth legislation
  • Some states and territories have legislation prohibiting the marketing of products that resemble tobacco products
  • Electronic cigarettes have not been evaluated for quality, safety or performance by the TGA.
  • If you wish to import or supply electronic cigarettes as an aid to reducing dependence on nicotine, (e.g. as a therapeutic good) then you will need to become a sponsor and make an application to the TGA. Your application will need to include evidence of the beneficial effects of electronic cigarettes. The TGA recommends seeking the advice of a regulatory affairs consultant in this situation.

The dangers of buying electronic cigarettes

Some overseas studies suggest that electronic cigarettes containing nicotine may be dangerous, delivering unreliable doses of nicotine (above or below the stated quantity), or containing toxic chemicals or carcinogens, or leaking nicotine. Leaked nicotine is a poisoning hazard for the user of electronic cigarettes, as well as others around them, particularly children. Dangerous and lethal doses of nicotine can be absorbed through the skin. Electronic cigarettes containing substances other than nicotine have not been assessed for safety.

Importing unregistered products is illegal. Consumers may inadvertently break the law, waste their money or risk their health when buying unregistered products online. These unregistered products may be:

• fake (counterfeit)
  • contaminated or not manufactured to appropriate standards;
  • contain undisclosed, dangerous ingredients;
  • past their use-by date;
  • too strong or too weak.

If you are worried about a medicine or medical device, and want to report the problem, please complete an online reporting form.

Yes, I cam across this information before, which is why I posted here...it just feels vague to me. So I can not buy it in Australia...? One seller on a famous auctioning site won't ship to Australia and nicotine is a poison that is unregulated, so I can not get refills or anything regardless...sounds like it is basically illegal to me (unless you apply for authorization by the TGA, mmyess).

I can't just walk into a head-shop now and buy one now can I?

I thought It would have been a great way to get the nicotine into her body in a much more healthy fashion in comparison to fucking smoke. Bloody Nicorette brand monopoly. Sometimes I really hate this draconian ass country. We are on par with Saudi Arabia when it comes to drugs I swear.

Yes, I cam across this information before, which is why I posted here

I assumed the vendors that pop up in Google searches sold nicotine, I was mistaken, here's a FAQ - it goes into how to get nicotine but I've naturally redacted that section

Nicotine
Question: Do you sell Nicotine?

Answer: Selling and supplying Nicotine contravenes Australian law. Due to its listing as a Schedule 7 substance. We are not able to sell or to supply nicotine to you in any way at all and doing so would result in heavy fines for Vapebar. It is not worth it for us or for you.

Question: Is Nicotine Illegal?

Answer: NO. According to Australian Customs Law. Nicotine is able to be imported to Australia by an individual for personal use. We can give you the information that you need to be able to import nicotine legally but as a business, we are unable to sell or supply it to you (and NO we will not).

Contact Us if you need more info.

Question: If Nicotine is "so addictive" don't smokers want to QUIT their nicotine habits as well?

Answer: They/we do. But by giving you the knowledge and the freedom to determine the strength of nicotine that you add, you give yourself the power to slowly wean yourself off it. You can determine the exact strength from week to week and even plan your complete withdrawal from the "addiction" of Nicotine over a pre-determined time frame.

Question: Is Nicotine dangerous?

Answer: Yes, if handled incorrectly. Nicotine can be dangerous. I do not subscribe to the fanatical view of "ban it, because it could kill someone". Half if not more of the chemicals in the typical Australian back yard shed would kill you if you ingested it.

If you make the personal decision to go down this path then we can point you in the right direction and arm you with the information you need to be safe.

Like certain household chemicals, precautions need to be taken when handling. This is not meant to scare you, it really is quite simple.

Concentrated Nicotine can be lethal to children as it can be easily absorbed through the skin. Nicotine is a poison and as such needs to be treated with the respect that these type of items deserve. Keep nicotine out of reach of children.

I can't just walk into a head-shop now and buy one now can I?

I thought It would have been a great way to get the nicotine into her body in a much more healthy fashion in comparison to fucking smoke. Bloody Nicorette brand monopoly. Sometimes I really hate this draconian ass country. We are on par with Saudi Arabia when it comes to drugs I swear.

Yeah, I was investigating trying to use ecigs as a way of getting myself off smoking just before christmas time, I looked at many sites and found it all too confusing and gave up. I ended up just going cold turkey and havent had any tobacco since then (and I hope to never again) - I'm going to try and never mix it with weed either, as that was what got me into it in the first place. I'm basically trying to not smoke anything again, not tobacco and not weed. I'll use weed rarely but when I do I'll vap or eat it.

I've had a few close relatives die from their smoking addictions and it's horrible to see and I dont want to pay for something that's just making me sick and will possibly kill me in the long term.

I think this has already been answered, but you can find many shops who sell the actual vaporizers in Australia. You need to get the nicotine somewhere else though, many international shops ship worldwide, it's not illegal to get personal amounts. Maybe try searching for an "Australian Vaping Forum" or something, I'm sure you'll find some help on one of those.

I've had a few close relatives die from their smoking addictions and it's horrible to see and I dont want to pay for something that's just making me sick and will possibly very probably kill me in the long term.

Yeah FTFY :\ :(

Yes, it's absurd, but you can import them with no trouble. It's one of those things which they turn a blind eye to as long as you're only ordering small quantities for personal use.

E-cigs are great, I'd absolutely recommend you go to the effort of finding a good one and ordering it for your GF, they're infinitely healthier than regular cigarettes, and also a huge money saver ($5 of juice can last you for weeks).

And that right there tells you why they're illegal.

FYI taxes on cigarettes do not even come close to covering the costs associated with them covered by Medicare. It's a false argument which applies to America and does not apply to Australia.

We do pay a shitload more tax on cigarettes than many, many developed countries.

FYI taxes on cigarettes do not even come close to covering the costs associated with them covered by Medicare. It's a false argument which applies to America and does not apply to Australia.

To be fair - we were talking about NRT medication, not smoking - one would assume nicabate isn't subject to the same tax yet the shit is just as expensive as cigarettes $10-$12 for 20.

To be fair - we were talking about NRT medication, not smoking - one would assume nicabate isn't subject to the same tax yet the shit is just as expensive as cigarettes $10-$12 for 20.

More or less, yeah. NRT is a big earner for the pharmaceutical corporations, they aren't going to willingly give that up so everyone can go buy a superior product for $10/month from the gas station.

^ watch this space.
In regards to e-juice and e-cigs, there have been rumblings in the US on how Big Tobacco can reign this one in...and ride it to the bank, taxed-to-shit and (if their standard practice is anything to go by) laced with a series of other toxic chemicals. Speculation on my part, but this has been a big challenge to these behemoth corporations, and big business is used to (and heavily invested in) getting things their way.
Maybe not the tobacco industry, in recent decades - but I guess it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

'my girlfriend is a smoker and 'I' want her to quit.'
It's her addiction not yours and until she wants to quit nothing you say or do will help.

^ maybe she does want to quit
A bit presumptuous; no matter how it is worded. A decision made as a couple doesn't necessarily mean the non-smoker is out-of-line; dating a smoker (as a non smoker) can pretty fucking unpleasant, especially if health problems caused by smoking start appearing.
I agree that it is "the individual's choice" (to smoke or not); but addiction is addiction - and relapses happen, regardless of how much somebody wants to give up the habit.

If you've ever watched someone you love from a smoking related illness....well; it's not a pretty sight.

The harm associated with the ol' cancer sticks cannot really be reconciled; harm reduction for smokers is essentially: quit or find another nicotine delivery method.

I can only go buy the information given, ecigs, nicotine gum/patches, cold turkey, whatever works, good luck.
Sickness and presumption aside, the first sentence of this thread wasn't the best way to start.
I will try my best to not be so blunt in the future.

Last edited: