• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

SO Photography Contest Discussion!!

That's a really good idea, Katmeow. I'll have a chat to some of the other smods/mods and see what they think.

I still really like the idea of revisiting the BL handles :)
It's fun to try to come up with different photos for people!

There are a bunch of good ones on this list up here!
We haven't been adding to it too much.....
Anyone have more ideas for entries?

ALSO - maybe the fucked [insert img] button isn't helping...

you could amend the contest guidelines to say:

8. Post your images in the appropriate thread in the form of an image, not a link to click on.

To insert an image, use this code (for example): [IMG]http://www.imagesite.com/photo69.jpg[/IMG]

3 entries last week? What the hell has happened to my precious photo contests?

/joke :D

Right then, gimmee my old job back & I'll ruffle some feathers. We need to print flyers, take to the streets, word of mouth, write to our MP's/Governors/congressmen/congresswomen or whoever the shitebag is that represents us in our own governments. Get this back to it's former glory!!

Must.Resist.Saying......back when I modded this fine place (Arggghhhhh! What a dick, I f'ing hate myself!!!!) I did have the link to the newest photo comp in my signature & would like to think that we got some traffic through to second opinion because of it. Can be a pain to change it all the time, but if you are going to the bother of creating a competition & polling thread anyway, what's a couple of extra clicks? 1 x tuppence spent :\

I still really like the idea of revisiting the BL handles :)
It's fun to try to come up with different photos for people!

There are a bunch of good ones on this list up here!
We haven't been adding to it too much.....
Anyone have more ideas for entries?

I am offically taking you up on this idea!

Im picking BL handles for my next round.

And Cletus I am not offended at all, I think taking the time to go ahead and link to the photo comp in my sig. would def be a great way to help promote the contest.

I def seen a decline in the traffic here, and in the last month been so busy with this holiday jazz i havent been as dedicated to promoting SO, just doing what is needed as a job. But I love this place and the photo comp and want to see it as busy as when I first discovered this area!

No offence taken, Cletus! I think adding the current photo comp as a sig is a a brilliant idea! :D

I don't know if this has been said or not (couldn't see them in the list above) but a couple of good ideas for the contest could be bokeh and out-of-focus. Photography is a hobby of mine (I have a lot to learn but love it) and those two concepts make even the most ordinary things look interesting.

I think this was mentioned awhile back, but figured I'd bring it to the table again: Has there been any consideration of making the photography contest time-frame two weeks for the entry period? You could still do one new contest each week, but it would run for two weeks. Like:

Feb. 12th - 18th = Round A begins
Feb. 19th - 25th = Round B begins with A still going
Feb. 26th = Polling for A beings and Round C begins.

Just an idea. :) It could be a floating change too and go back to being one-week entry periods during the (northern hemisphere's) summer when the entries seem to pick up a bit.

I think this was mentioned awhile back, but figured I'd bring it to the table again: Has there been any consideration of making the photography contest time-frame two weeks for the entry period? You could still do one new contest each week, but it would run for two weeks. Like:

Feb. 12th - 18th = Round A begins
Feb. 19th - 25th = Round B begins with A still going
Feb. 26th = Polling for A beings and Round C begins.

Just an idea. :) It could be a floating change too and go back to being one-week entry periods during the (northern hemisphere's) summer when the entries seem to pick up a bit.

Quick update everyone, The mods here in SO have decided to adopt addi_p's idea and change the photo contest up for a bit, in an effort to attract more entries. ATM our submission threads will be open for 2 weeks, allowing more time for entries. We will still open a new round each week, allow it to stay open for 2 weeks, and then close the thread and open the voting thread. So there will be two submission threads open at any given time, and we will be closing all submission threads after the submission deadline come up.

So round 270:trees will be open for another week. The voting for round 269:Salience just went up! Thanks for everyone's participation!

Perhaps with two submission threads running concurrently, mods could put something like 'currently open' in the title of the open threads and then edit to say 'entries closed' once the submission period is finished?

^ Or just have the open one read "open" and the closed read nothing at all?

Or maybe put dates in the opening thread. Instead of saying:

"6. Deadline for entries is 12am Eastern (5am GMT) on the posted deadline date.
7. Voting ends at 12am Eastern (5am GMT) on the posted end date."

Maybe put in actual dates? I don't think I've ever seen a posted end date--Just have known that when it's posted Sunday it ends Saturday or that if it's a poll, it's posted Sunday and ends ...Tuesday(?).

/brainstorming ;)