• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sniffer dogs and 'weather conditions'

S

Sniff Sniff Sniff

Hi all

I heard recently that if the temperature gets too high sniffer dogs won't be used and after spending a long time on the internet looking for an answer I basically came back with nothing except for an old post in a thread on bluelight saying if the temperature is above 35 degrees Celsius they wont be used.

Just wondering if anyone can give me an answer to this and maybe even a link to go with it, also interested to see if there is a temperature that can be deemed 'too cold'

cheers anyways

Also unsure where to post mod, so place it appropriate forum please!

I would say that the too hot / too cold for dogs to work is a myth.

Many countries top 35 degrees and dogs are more than capable of finding toys, treats, game etc - On the flip side you have Siberian Huskies who are more than capable of working in temperature of -50.

However - maybe some drugs simply do not omit an odor at a certain temperature?

Word, guest. Interesting question. I will search also, you know, theoretically. Welcome to Bluelight. Get a membership. We don't bite. We are harm reduction. Period. I wouldn't want the dog to hurt or otherwise overuse their noses :)

I've heard a similar myth. No idea it it is true, and i doubt your local constabulary would be inclined to shed much light on the topic one way or another.

I get the feeling you're an aussie? Might want to have a look through this ol' thread...

I think I saw a show on the tube where they were talking about this. I wasn't paying super close attention but I think they mentioned the dogs are prone to get overheated if they're pushed too hard in hot temperatures. Makes senses to me because most of those dogs have mucho dinero worth of training ($5,000 - $20,000+) in them and they're super careful when it comes to heat. I don't think it has anything to do with a dog not being able to smell in hot weather.

Temp i dont know about but i did get past the dogs once but my car was dirty as hell! Got pulled over leaving a seedy area and refused a search so car got impounded and they bought the dogs down. They wanted a hit so they'd have probably cause to search. Had crack and H in a newport pack on the floor and dogs didnt catch a scent. My car was prewgross at the time so i chalked it up to saving my behind!

I was in the navy and had 2 bundles of dope in a chewing tobacco puck(winter green) and they did a surprise inspection and I was terrified. I'n the Nvy getting busted is a federal offense and I was ready to flea but I stuck it out and the dogs never smelled a thing! Another time I was in Jersey in place called Absecon and those cops are assholes,anyway I had a bundle of dope hidden in my car and they didn't find shit. I guess it depends on the dog!

This thread isn't to old to continue. BeachBum4U, theoretical idea, since there is no real example here, how about lightly lacing say a sealed package with cayenne pepper powder and maybe other things that would heat up skin/nasal passages without being in such a quantity to stick out on its own? Just wondering.

No because drug dogs are bullshit to begin with. They just use it as an excuse to search. Dogs can't differentiate smells in double blind studies.

Got a source for that?

The dog is searching for what it has been conditioned to consider leads to a treat, shit reinforcement of the behaviour results in a dog that detects the scent but isn't obliged to act on it.
A dog that receives a better reward for Crack over Heroin will search preferentially.

Got a source for that?

The dog is searching for what it has been conditioned to consider leads to a treat, shit reinforcement of the behaviour results in a dog that detects the scent but isn't obliged to act on it.
A dog that receives a better reward for Crack over Heroin will search preferentially.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-010-0373-2/fulltext.html

I'm not saying dogs don't have a powerful sense of smell they can even use them to search for cancer, but the time they can do this before they get exhausted is way overstated. They overwork those drug dogs and then the dogs just go by how the handler acts.

Got a source for that?

I was a dog handler in the military, a bomb dog handler. We also had drug dogs, the dogs work and are trained for all narcotic odors and won't work any diffrent for a certain narcotic. They learn all of the scents at the same time. They can work in any weather, if it's too hot and they are working for too long and their tongue is sticking out of there mouths they are not breathing through there noses. That's why u don't work them for long periods of time in the heat. It's hard to beat a good dog, usually it's the handler that fucks up and misses something.

if it's too hot and they are working for too long and their tongue is sticking out of there mouths they are not breathing through there noses. That's why u don't work them for long periods of time in the heat. It's hard to beat a good dog, usually it's the handler that fucks up and misses something.

That's what I was talking about. Thank you!

So in 40 degree Celsius plus weather at stereosonic on Saturday I didn't see any sniffer dogs, a friend mentioned seeing a German Shepard sitting in the shade but that's it