Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

smokable speed vs. ice

kirshara

Bluelighter
okay, well ive found out that all forms of speed in oz or melbourne at least, are methamphetamine and not just amphetamines.. so whats the difference between smokable speed and ice then? both are meth right? is it a question of purity, cutting agents, or are they doing slightly different things? ive had crystaline speed and powdery stuff to smoke, both burn clean with a little bit of brown residue which ive noticed on ice too, felt slightly different from ice, more euphoric, even after a couple of points, ice always feels more psychotic even after a bit. whats the difference?

Last edited:
There is probably no difference at all, besides purity.

try this thread

i agree with coolio. if it's smokeable it ain't 'speed' (speed being freebase amphetamine).

on that note, i recently read that the hydrochloride salt of MA is NOT orally active? at first i thought ofcourse not, but could this be true? it would certainly explain some VERY perculiar situations that have arisen in times gone by, where smoking the substance had an effect, yet a higher oral dosage did not..

hmmm..

No, methamphetamine HCl works just fine. It's a prescription medication dispensed in pill form and has been for decades.

[QUOTE ive had crystaline speed and powdery stuff to smoke, both burn clean with a little bit of brown residue which ive noticed on ice too, felt slightly different from ice, more euphoric, even after a couple of points, ice always feels more psychotic even after a bit. whats the difference?[/QUOTE]

The amount of meth your getting is the difference ie. a shitload more from ICE. A couple of points of good ice could easily be equal to half a gram or more of smokeable.

It would be a bigger dopamine hit to with ICE. More in your system quicker could be the reason for that slightly unstable feeling

if it's smokeable it ain't 'speed' (speed being freebase amphetamine).

Dont listen to Psybeebee, almost all 'speed' 'ice' 'crystal' etc in melbourne is methamphetamine, same drug, only difference is the purity, and how its cooked etc.

What is sold as 'ice' here is typically higher purity than powdered forms of speed, thats why the effects can seem quite different, even though it is the same drug.

Here is a good post from the other thread:

Extracts from the Drug Trends Bulletin, June 2002, just received, should clarify some of these questions...
KEY POINTS
1. Amphetamine and methamphetamine (also known as "methylamphetamine") are closely related chemically and have similar kinds of effects on the user, but methamphetamine is the more potent form with stronger subjective effects.
2. Throughout the 1980s, the form of illicit amphetamine most available in Australia was amphetamine sulfate. In the financial year 2000/2001, however, 91% of the seizures of this family of drugs were of methamphetamine.
3. Although there is disagreement between both users and key informants about the forms of methamphetamine currently available, it appears that there are at least four main classes. This Bulletin refers to them as:
(i) "Speed" - also known as goey or whiz, this is methamphetamine powder that is manufactured in Australia and ranges in colour from white to yellow, orange, brown or pink. It is usually of relatively low purity, although the purity of speed may be increasing.
(ii)"Pills" - methamphetamine tablets that are mostly manufactured in Australia and are generally sold as "ecstasy". Sometimes these "fake ecstasy" tablets are mixed with drugs like ketamine to try to mimic the effects of MDMA (real ecstasy). MDMA is almost always imported, as few illicit chemists in Australia have the expertise to make it here.
(iii) "Base" - also called paste, wax, point and pure, this is an oily, gluggy or pastey type of damp, sticky powder that often has a brownish tinge and is difficult to dissolve for injection without heat. Base is manufactured in Australia and is usually of relatively high purity.
(iv) "Ice" - also called shabu, crystal, and crystal meth, this is high purity methamphetamine crystals or coarse powder that ranges in colour from translucent to white, but may have a green, blue of pink tinge. True "ice" is manufactured in Asia and imported into Australia.
Source: IDRS (Illicit Drug Reporting System) prepared by Libby Topp, National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre, and Adam Churchill, Australian Customs Service.
This Drug Trends Bulletin goes into detail on all of these points, but this is the summary.
It seems to confirm my impression that "ice" in Australia is a synonym for methamphetamine - as fairnymph has pointed out, in the USA at least, "ice" is 4-MAR.

So it seems the overwhelming majority of 'speed' on the streets you will encounter is methamphetamine.

great post Basix. There seems to be a lot of these threads popping up. I don't know how psybeebee can refer to the thread he/she has and then still make that post. All the answers are pretty much contained in the "My nanna can't tell an amphetamine from a methamphetamine!" thread.
Its basically just another case of their being a load of different street names for the 1 drug.

Its all just meth, that nanna is one smart old woman :)

ah right, so its a simple question of purity which distinguishes smokable speed from ice. cool.. thats cleared up some things for me. thanks everyone.
just one last q., so does purity affect the physical appearance of the drug? is that why ice looks so crystal clear and speed so chalky? if thats true, then how do people fake ice to make it look clear but its actually cut to pieces and rubbish? also, ive had fairly chalky looking crystalline speed to smoke and it was amesome.

Ok, most of my knowledge just comes from Bluelight but I'll try explain what I know:

It's not just purity that effects the appearance of the meth, it depends on factors such as how the cook made it, what processes etc and what pre cursors they used, these things can contribute to the strength, appearance, quality, form it is in.

Also smokable 'speed' in powder form will always be cut with different substances and that effects the appearance and purity.

Purity doesn't always directly relate to the appearance though, as you can definately get large clear shards from from one batch that have a very high purity, and get identical looking shards from another batch that will be less pure. I think it largely depends on the skill of the person making it. I'm pretty sure its possible to cut the meth before its crystalised also while still retaining the same clear, glassy appearance.

So theres alot of factors that can affect the quality, and while large, clear glassy looking shards will often indicate a high purity product, it isn't always the case.

There are also inactive substances like MSM (methyl sulfonyl methane) that you can cut methamphetamine with and they'll recrystallize with the meth to form clear shards.

^ true, although personally Ive never once seen powdered meth that wasn't cut to a fairly high degree. But as i said appearance doesn't neccesarily tell you much about the purity.

Good posts basix :)

You definately can not tell the strength of your meth by what it looks like.

i am tired of people saying that all of the pure or crystal amphetamine is either cut or pure meth

I know for a fact that you can buy large crystals of 100% amphetamine in sydney, loads of it is bought up to QLD and cut, then sold as 'speed'. If you know the right people you get it before it's jumped on 500 times and you get the crystals - and they are pure, great to smoke and def. not meth

How did you test the amphetamines to be so sure of this fact?

mike in my opinion these large crystals you describe are identical to the large clear crystals sold everywhere else in Australia, often sold as 'ice', 'meth', crystal'. Infact they are sold as whatever the person selling it calls them.

You say you know for a fact, in that case you could easily provide photos of the drug and the reagent test results. Until then I'll go on believing what I already do, that the overwhelming majority of amphetamine type drugs sold in Austalia are methamphetamine in one of it's various forms.

There's a HUGE amount of evidence in the "Nanna cant tell" thread supporting this, have a read of it

And your claim of 100% pure amphetamine is completely laughable. Anyone who claims to know the purity of their drugs, that they bought on the street, down to an exact percentage, has zero clue what they are talking about.

Last edited:
because i have reagent tested as i was instructed to in the large nana thread - came up amphetamine

i have also smoked/ate both 'his' amphetamine and 'his' meth

and the product i have smoked etc are 100% pure - not cut - it is all about who you know, I am not buying shit off some guy down the street mate

I agree that due to psuedo and other pre cursors being more readily available here that the majority of 'speed' etc is cut meth, but i'm aware of 1 source where this is not the case - i can only speculate that if 1 guy is making amphetamine there has to be more!

also not long ago (a month or so) a guy was caught in sydney with pills + amphetamin + cash, raided his house and found chems involoved in making amphetamine directly