• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Smell Sensitivity / Migraines are ruining my life

Darksidesam

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Hi all , so i have been suffering from this issue for around the last 5/6 years with absolutely no sign of letting up. I am trying to get to the bottom of this obviously in the UK , NHS is down the shitter so the drs havent been very willing other than prescribing me shit like propranolol (lol) which doesnt help and gives me low blood pressure/ feel worse.
Now i must state here i have experienced this even during an entire year of complete sobriety other than caffeine in tea (but i have also give up tea for a couple of months before too) So it shouldnt be and is highly unlikely connected to my drug use.

Currently i vaporise cannabis (A mix of CBD flower and THC flower at varying ratios depending on whether i want to get high, focus, soothe some aches from exercise or play a game)
Havent smoked anything for a good 4/5 years now . This can offer me some relief from migraines (mainly the nausea not much else)

So what happens is, when i am exposed to any of these:
Air Freshener
Deodorant
Perfume
Aftershave/Cologne
Scented Candles
Petrol
Solvents
Certain Paints/ Varnish
2nd hand smoke from joints or cigs
Anything burning/fires

..it begins.. The feeling is like an inflation feeling of pressure from inside my head with a slow crushing constricting feeling outside my head, Nausea sets in , dizziness as well as eyesight issues usually 1 eye goes very blurry and also it feels like im drunk or something.. Flashing lights if i close my eyes . If i do not remove myself from the exposure and i stay in it , the symptoms worsen and progress to hemiplegic migraine. I begin to mess up my words i cant talk properly, face droops one side legit feels like brain damage. One lasted around 5 days.

After searching for years online it seems to be common with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity , which i question might be because i a. had suspected lyme disease years back , Bullseye rash but yet again NHS fails me and didnt test for it gave me steroid cream..
Lifestyle wise i eat fairly healthily and do exercise usually regularly cycling and was religiously working out for a couple of years during that 5/6 year period i mentioned above. I dont use any other drugs or substances other than a bit of codeine when i had some wisdoms out a few months back, so other than vaping some weed i am pretty much clean i dont drink either or if i do its literally 1/2 pints i also cannot seem to tolerate much alcohol anymore without getting hangover, where as before i could drink quite a lot.

Any information on this would be helpful, because at present my life is very lonely, everyone seems to think im just an arsehole for asking them not to use cologne/perfume etc in the same building as me if they invite me over , i keep having wandering thoughts of ending it all because of these issues

Today after an exposure to deodorant i got a cluster headache that lasted about 5 hours

Last edited:
I just wanted to chime in that, while I don’t have the smell sensitivity, I’ve been a migraine sufferer for 20 years. I truly feel your literal pain. Botox shots in the head (like in your scalp, not necessarily forehead) helped me a lot, and so did Topamax, but the latter made me feel dumb af. Maxalt is my rescue med, but it doesn’t work as well as Relpax. But my fucking insurance won’t cover Relpax anymore, so Maxalt it is

Low dose DMT is my migraine buster when nothing else is working.

I also really have to watch my diet. Dairy, cocoa/cacao, and certain foods that can irritate the stomach at high doses like capsaicin. Dairy is the worst though, if I have a piece of pizza it’s like a 50-60% chance I’ll get a migraine. At the very least I’ll become sluggish and tired.

This smell sensitivity sounds like a whole separate issue tho.

-GC

havent tried the meds listed above, not sure why but anything ive tried or taken or meds ive even taken in the past seem 'heavier' for example if i take a promethazine it hangs around in my system noticeably for 48 hours or longer the drowsiness doesnt shift, so im a bit wary of trying meds now, the side effects etc i dont tolerate well.
My diet doesnt contain Dairy, but i make sure i am getting enough of what is missing in dairy, this issue started when i was a consumer of dairy a good few years ago though, and they did used to trigger it i found.
Havent found cocoa alone to be a trigger as long as it doesnt contain dairy and havent found chilli to be a trigger and i can easily eat all the chilli on a kebab and i particularly enjoy making a chilli con carne.
I just wondered if there might be an obvious fix i cant see but all headaches and nausea etc all start with a smell trigger (or sometimes what i eat, Artificial sweeteners are a known trigger)