• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

small "electric shocks" running thru ur head after drugs?

Over the years I have had numerous different ssri drugs. Upon stopping them all, I got the shocks and also very noticeable vertigo feelings. For me, I found codeine to alleviate these effects. After a week or 2 depending on the drug I was stopping, things returned to normal.

Also to Koston, I have had that similar feeling many times in the past. I wasnt actually talking to anybody at the time though it seemed I was. My whole body is paralysed for want of a better word but my head feels normal. I onced asked a doc about it and he said I was in the "twilight zone" between awakedness and sleep. Very strange feeling it is. I dont need drugs to get it either which is pretty rad.

My sister used to get this paralysed feeling all the time. The one difference is, she has never taken drugs. She used to have dreams and she would wake up and feel like she was paralysed and call out for someone to come and see her.

Miss_c - that's called sleep paralysis, and its a well recognised medical problem.

Meh, don't know about the sleep shit, i never have any trouble sleeping, i get the electric jolts all the time, occasionally i get a strange, uber-noticable jolt or stutter as if i had torretts syndrome, we call it the "DTs" or "Drug Torretts"... doesn't really bother me, i get it after pills, after a period of time without drugs - say 3 weeks, it'll happen really bad for a night or so, and when i have drugs on me that i am to take, or i think about pills and shit... bleh, don't really care, a few of my friends get it also - happens bad when i think about cocaine :)

I've had that on & off for the past 15 years, and it has nothing to do with drugs. It hits me when I am just going to sleep, and it doesnt matter what I've done (or not done) that day.

It's not as strong as some other people here, but it's still pretty wierd. The best way I can describe it is that it's like hitting the degauss button on your monitor 8(

SPOOKY
Someone called up during Dr. Karl's segment on JJJ today asking about this.
He refered to hypo... err... hang on, i'll try and find a link or something via the JJJ website.
Info:
When Stacey is just dozing off, her body sometimes jolts and she'll dream she's tripped over and wakes herself up. What's going on?
Answer:
We can't explain why it happens, but it's got a name - a hypnogogic jerk. You're falling asleep and relaxing your muscles and something just goes a bit off kilter. The brain is great at finding patterns. So the brain interprets the jerking as you tripping

*Trusty Dr. Karl... he rules.
=D
PEACE

Edit: Oops, it appears I was misguided in my interpretation of the zaps.
Nevermind, at least I now know about those wierd waking up jolty things now.
=D
PEACE

Last edited:
I dont think that hypnogogic jolt is the same as what we are talking about with the electric shocks (Zaps). Having absolutely no medical background what so ever doesnt give me much street cred here, but i have had the "feel like your falling and wake up with a jolt" feeling many times, and i feel that it is totally different to the Zaps. Hypnogogic jolt (I hope ive spelt that somewhere close to being right) is more like a jolt of fear, waking up in a damn hurry witha bit of panic. Anyone who has had the shocks, zaps, whatever you want to call them, will tell you that the feeling is definitely one of electricity shooting from your brain down to the rest of your body, and it feels disgusting.

I love DR Karl and have wanted to call for years about the Zaps, "hey Karl i get these jolts of electicity down my body when i try to sleep when ive had too many dugs and not enough sleep, whadaya reckon?" but never have.

Has anybody read the article in the MOS mag about this? if so it would be very interesting to hear about it.

I used to get these going back 7-5 months ago. It would happen mainly when I was tired or exhausted and would start with me feeling slightly dizzy (kinda like my conscience was rolling backwards in my head and I was about to black out) a split second before I felt a blinding "electric shock" (funny that I used the same description) that started in the back of my head/neck and traveled through to my arms leaving a tingling sensation in my fingers. At first this was accompanied by a high-pitched ringing noise in my ears and a bright white light approaching like the end of a tunnel. Both of these symptoms however faded over time. The shocks would happen every time I was about to nod off waking me up and would sometimes go on for hour upon hour.

None of my doctors could figure out what it was and after seeing numerous gp's I ended up seeing a neurosurgeon who took x-rays of my neck and a MRI. In the end they found me healthy...

Until now I'd never heard of anyone else ever having anything even similar to what I had. I seemed to be brought on by use of pills and especially meth. I personally believe that the cause may be changes in dopamine levels which bring about anxiety attacks.

I've always thought benzodiazepines of the anti-anxiety variety may prove effective but I never had the chance to try this for myself. If anyone who gets these attacks has access to diazepam or omazepam and tries this out I'd be interested to know the results.

On a side note, a few of the nights this was happening I took Voltaren which seemed to do the trick about 3/4's of the time.

-pat

See my thread- weird head pains

Quote: "It will go away by itself eventually. 5-HTP doesn't help (some find it makes it worse). Ditto for phenylalanine."

How interesting! I suspected it was drug related but I never thought it could be phenylalanine related! I've been eating/ drinking products with this shit in it for over 10 years, all day everyday. Heavily. Do you think it could be it? I just read up on it and it sounds likely! Didn't realise how 'dangerous' it is!

The only difference between my little 'electric shocks' and the posts I've read on here are that mine are situated in the head area only, I don't get it down my arms etc. And mine aren't very frequent, I read someone said every 30 seconds. The frequency of mine differs anywhere from every 5 mins to every hour or 2. It goes away for a month or 2 and then comes back and I have it 10 days in a row. It varies ALL the time.

Scary stuff. Like I said in my other thread, it's not that it's painful, or that it restricts me from going about my day each time it happens (although it has in the past, it's just made me wanna take a benzo and sleep it off- and I have), it's just that it BOTHERS me. It's there.. and it shouldn't be. :(

Anyway, I'm glad to have found others experiencing the same thing, no one has ever understood what I mean after trying to describe it.
How do u guys deal with it? Any tricks or meds that work?

So, what about muscle spasms or twitches? Anybody else get these? When I used to smoke mull they first started, its like one particular muscle will just have a little spasm out of the blue or a twitch and it happens all the time when I am high or drunk on anything now and I don't smoke mull anymore. It also happens when I am not high but not as often.

Luckily it is unnoticeable to anyone but me since it is just a little spasm, but if it would be bigger I would definetly be reffered to as "Spasm Boy" or "Twitchy" because it occurs pretty regularly.

Anyone else get these?

Try some magnesium. Works a charm. Like 2 magnesium pills an hour before you try to sleep. It works as a muscle relaxer. And it should stop the jolting.
If thats not enough have one while your peaking too.

bleep said:
I've had that on & off for the past 15 years, and it has nothing to do with drugs. It hits me when I am just going to sleep, and it doesnt matter what I've done (or not done) that day.

It's not as strong as some other people here, but it's still pretty wierd. The best way I can describe it is that it's like hitting the degauss button on your monitor 8(

I totally understand where you're coming from. I tend to get them if i have a bad head cold, and i turn around too fast. Or if ive been on the mushies.

I've had these for the last 2 years almost constantly. I freaked out when i first started getting them but now i have learned to live with them. I feel it mostly when I move my eyes about and when I get a sudden onset of emotion eg frustration. I am sure it has something to do with seratonin depletion as it goes away when i drop and comes back when I'm down. Also noticed them dissappear when i started taking SSRI's and when I went off taking them, the "Zaps" reappeared again.