• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Sleep/relaxation stacks

Bitchniggaz

Bluelighter
Im kind of supplement nerd, i probably have +50 different bags and bottles with all kinds of vitamins/minerals/herbs etc.

Do i need all this?
No, but i really enjoy the process of tinkering with my body.

Right now im trying to find a good stack to use pre bed to optimise my sleep. (I tend to sleep alot and still be tired during the days)

So about 2-3h before sleep i take the following.

Melatonin: 1-3mg
Gaba: 5grams
Magnesium citrate: 500mg
Magnesium biglyc: 100mg
Glycine: 3grams (helps with gaba release)

Im also going to add some peptides that effect hgh release. (Used them alot)

Some evenings when im really stressed i will also indulge some amanita muscaria tincture.

The positives i feel is that my body really recovers well on this.
I get way less sore from strength training etc.

However some mornings the lethargy is crazy.
I suspect it is from over doing the gaba.
From what i understand regulat gaba doesnt pass the bbb.
However its still active in the muscles and other places where we have receptors for gaba.

It def does something since i really get mellow if i take it.

you doing that every night?

i feel like you're setting yourself up to never be able to sleep naturally.

i've tinkered with my body a fair bit but only to get fucked up. in general i think evolution has done a better job of making us maintain homeostasis than supplements ever will. there will be side effects and tolerance will make them more pronounced.

i take stuff when i can't sleep and haven't slept well in a few nights to break the cycle but otherwise avoid.

However some mornings the lethargy is crazy.
I suspect it is from over doing the gaba.
I would 100% agree with this. 5g gaba is a lot. Like, it's not a crazy amount, but it is a lot and quite unnecessary. Just a waste of gaba, really. If I want to have a nice, relaxing, mellow evening followed by a GREAT sleep, I will sometimes take 2g gaba, maybe not even that much, 1.8g.

For best results with melatonin you should take it within 1 hour of going to sleep, not 3 hours before.

Magnesium is an excellent supplement for a lot of reasons. Relaxation, better sleep, and better muscle recovery are 3 things that magnesium is great for. I'd say that it's the magnesium alone that is helping with your gym recovery.

I'd personally just stick with the melatonin and magnesium.

Do i need all this?
No, but i really enjoy the process of tinkering with my body.
This.

That said, I never found supplements to do anything beyond placebo in me, as long as I didn't lack something special like B12 which made me thinking to having fried my brain. My point of view is that what works won't be able to stay on (open) market for prolonged time and we're left with pharmacies full of little sugar globuli and more or less good or bad tasting teas. There are certainly strong plants out there but they always come with a similar price than pharms.

Interesting that you get lethargy from GABA, it's not supposed to ever cross the BBB and read from some that it just causes hot flashes. Peripheral & central receptors are coupled though feedback loops though.

I urgently need a decent sleep aid but all I can get are antihistamines and they don't work for me. Pramipexole made me to sleep like a baby some days ago but only once, and it's nothing one should take lightly.

Also heard that magnesium has an awfully long half life and thus one either needs to preload with megadoses (potentially dangerous) or wait for weeks until effects set in. As it's nature's own NMDA channel blocker it must have some noticeable effects but also the stuff they sell, in Europe it was mostly magnesium oxide, is just a laxative. Maybe with some intent.

Melatonin is like homoeopathy for me, I can take 1, 2, 5 or 10mg orally or sublingually and feel absolutely nothing at all. Didn't help me with sleep either. Wonder whether the SSRI I'm on is to blame for that as melatonin and 5-HT are somewhat opposite sides of one medallion.

I'm interested in adenosine reuptake inhibitors or agonists, this'd be the opposite of caffeine and shouldn't be too bad dependency-wise. But don't know of any plants which are such. Inosine is one, also a GABA-A PositiveAllostericModulator like benzos.

you doing that every night?

i feel like you're setting yourself up to never be able to sleep naturally.

i've tinkered with my body a fair bit but only to get fucked up. in general i think evolution has done a better job of making us maintain homeostasis than supplements ever will. there will be side effects and tolerance will make them more pronounced.

i take stuff when i can't sleep and haven't slept well in a few nights to break the cycle but otherwise avoid.

Ive been trying this stack for about a week or so.
Taking a few days off every week etc.

Most supplements i have i dont take daily.
I usually use them depending on my activity levels etc.

Ive tried all of these supplements before but not combined like this.

Might be useful to me because I need this badly. Why is gaba at 5gms bad? Does it make you feel worse or more lethargic as you say?

Why is gaba at 5gms bad?
It's just not necessary. It will make you very very drowsy, and you only need HALF that much to feel relaxed. 5 grams of gabapentin is just a waste of gaba in my opinion.

Been trying out Doxycycline last few nights and it's been giving me weird dreams.