• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sleep Question for recovering addict

Reciveringmyself

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone,

First time poster on here. I have been sober for 3 months after about 4-5 years of abusing Oxys. I got my life in order and am doing great, no cravings or anything but I had a question I was hoping you all good answer on here. My sleep has slowly been coming back to me, at first I had trouble sleeping but now I sleep about 5/6 hours daily and I feel like I got a hangover every morning I wake up. I’m 32 and am wondering if this is going to last forever or if it’ll come back over time? If anyone has any experience/info with this I’d great appreciate it.

It won't last forever

I also sleep 5-6 hours and this is after benzo addiction which is worse than opiates when it comes to sleep. I consider this great progress over the 2 hours I used to get.

Just give it time and things will normalize eventually if you stay clean

It won't last forever

I also sleep 5-6 hours and this is after benzo addiction which is worse than opiates when it comes to sleep. I consider this great progress over the 2 hours I used to get.

Just give it time and things will normalize eventually if you stay clean
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your making progress. I feel like I’m def making progress but I just hate waking up in the morning and feeling like crap everyday but I guess that’s what I get for abusing pills.

As far as staying clean so far so good on that front. I did 3 weeks in a treatment facility and that enabled me to get over the hump of quitting and I have no desire to ever going back to using again.

well done and welcome to BL!!! 3 months is a massive achievement. i'm glad you got some treatment. are you doing ongoing recovery activities? i.e. groups, therapy, etc? its important to keep on top of it.

re sleep. its the fucking killer. inability to get good sleep is what first put me onto downers. it did not go well.

sleep DOES improve. i got into recovery at 32 too, was doing heroin for 6 years but before that i'd been using other downers so i hadn't slept naturally for 16 years. gettng through the first few months of tiredness is painful, but once your brain starts healing it does get better. i'd go so far as to venture to say that i have found getting decent natural sleep much more energising than drug induced sleep. not always, i still suck at sleeping a lot of the time but that's partly my own fault for starting to abuse downers again.

well done and welcome to BL!!! 3 months is a massive achievement. i'm glad you got some treatment. are you doing ongoing recovery activities? i.e. groups, therapy, etc? its important to keep on top of it.

re sleep. its the fucking killer. inability to get good sleep is what first put me onto downers. it did not go well.

sleep DOES improve. i got into recovery at 32 too, was doing heroin for 6 years but before that i'd been using other downers so i hadn't slept naturally for 16 years. gettng through the first few months of tiredness is painful, but once your brain starts healing it does get better. i'd go so far as to venture to say that i have found getting decent natural sleep much more energising than drug induced sleep. not always, i still suck at sleeping a lot of the time but that's partly my own fault for starting to abuse downers again.
Thank you! I am doing virtual meetings and everything is going great. Treatment was the best thing that ever happened to me. I honestly feel fully recovered outside of waking up in the morning feeling like I’m hungover…every morning. I know I shouldn’t really complain since I’m basically back to normal but I was just curious to weather or not that will go away.

And yeh agreed, no one to blame but ourselves for this but it’s nice to know we are on the mend and are not a slave to our addictions anymore!