• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sleep aid meds

Slim_b

Bluelighter
I suffer from insomnia and I'm currently taking Valdoxan (agomelatine) for it, but it's not sufficient and I don't get more than 3-4 hours of sleep
and I'm tired, unfocused and unstable all the time because of sleep deprivation. Anyone who knows of any great mild sleep medication or sleep inducing medication/drug?
Benzos, Zolpidem and Phenergan are usually to strong for me as they make me groggy and I despise quetiapine.

Try melatonin and if you find it to be the "p" word then maybe valerian root. I've never taken valerian root so I don't know how groggy it makes people, but I heard it is a decent mild sedative. Just be sure to research the side effects, health contradictions, and drug interactions before taking it.

Maybe have a look here :

I suffer from insomnia and I'm currently taking Valdoxan (agomelatine) for it, but it's not sufficient and I don't get more than 3-4 hours of sleep
and I'm tired, unfocused and unstable all the time because of sleep deprivation. Anyone who knows of any great mild sleep medication or sleep inducing medication/drug?
Benzos, Zolpidem and Phenergan are usually to strong for me as they make me groggy and I despise quetiapine.
What about melatonin? You've tried?
My guess is that Melatonin won't be of much help if Agomelatine isn't cutting it.

Have a look into Agomelatine and I guess you may come to a similar conclusion.

My guess is that Melatonin won't be of much help if Agomelatine isn't cutting it.

Have a look into Agomelatine and I guess you may come to a similar conclusion.

Shit man. First time I've heard of that AD and you're right, melatonin won't do OP @Slim_b much help.

@Slim_b I am interested in your opinion OP. Has it been effective as an anti-depressant? I mean beyond the side effects or insomnia, has it raised your mood or do you notice any improvement of it? Just out of curiosity. I am looking for an effective AD.

Shit man. First time I've heard of that AD and you're right, melatonin won't do OP @Slim_b much help.

@Slim_b I am interested in your opinion OP. Has it been effective as an anti-depressant? I mean beyond the side effects or insomnia, has it raised your mood or do you notice any improvement of it? Just out of curiosity. I am looking for an effective AD.

In the start Agomelatine was overtly unpleasant for the stomach and the liver, gave terrible anxiety and headaches while at the same giving the mood some type of lift and making it easier to fall afsleep. After taking it some time the stomach pain and headaches have disappeared but I still get some degree of anxiety from it. It does lift my mood a little but it feels like a mild effect.

Try melatonin and if you find it to be the "p" word then maybe valerian root. I've never taken valerian root so I don't know how groggy it makes people, but I heard it is a decent mild sedative. Just be sure to research the side effects, health contradictions, and drug interactions before taking it.
Valerian Root. I’ll check that out

eszopiclone was an amazing drug for me

somewhat potent and effective but also not addictive or recreational. perfect sleep med for me. was on it for probably 6 months and stopped with zero negative effects or withdrawal.

was very effective for sleeping after amphetamines without being addictive or abusable

made me sleepy but also wasn't abusable. I loved it.

maybe ask your doc about it.

definitely not as hardcore or addictive as typical z-drugs

Last edited:
In the start Agomelatine was overtly unpleasant for the stomach and the liver, gave terrible anxiety and headaches while at the same giving the mood some type of lift and making it easier to fall afsleep. After taking it some time the stomach pain and headaches have disappeared but I still get some degree of anxiety from it. It does lift my mood a little but it feels like a mild effect.

How long have you been taking it @Slim_b ?

It seems to me that it has a certain effect then. I'm tired of being prescribed sertraline. That garbage DON'T WORK for me.

Have u tried one of the sedating first generation antihistamines? If not u should give Promethazine or Diphenhydramine a whirl, they can be bought OTC without a prescription.

Slim_b said:
evo4ever said:
Have u tried one of the sedating first generation antihistamines? If not u should give Promethazine or Diphenhydramine a whirl, they can be bought OTC without a prescription.
Same drug I believe.

Definitely worth a try... If they fail you could try Doxylamine (not OTC in the UK - but easily purchased very cheap online... Ebay/Amazon etc..) And if they are of no help you could ask your GP about low dose Mirtazapine or Doxepin. Which to my knowledge are 2 of the most sedating antihistemic drugs available when used at a subtheraputic doses. I'm sure I was reading somewhere that they have the highest binding affinity at the H1 receptor than all other drugs.

Which in theory make them a much better option than atypical antipsychotics (Quetiapine, Olanzapine etc..) for help with insomnia as they don't bind to all those other receptors like the antipsychotics.

Many people mention low dose Trazadone - but all that gave me was fierce temporary priapism o_O :ROFLMAO:

Good luck to you ;)

Last edited:
I took valdoxan together with clonidine for a while and got good sleep even when I was taking prescribed daytime ADHD stims.

I took valdoxan together with clonidine for a while and got good sleep even when I was taking prescribed daytime ADHD stims.
Clonidine is very hit and miss for me.

I have a load that I very rarely use. Even in Opiate withdrawal they have very little effect.. although I only take 1 x 0.1Mcg (NOT Milligram)

Try doxylamine succinate. It's an OTC antihistamine, the active ingredient in several sleep aids. Also there's the more common one's: diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Unisom), dimenhydrinate (Dramamine-Less Drowsy formula, Dimetapp) and meclizine (Dramamine Original). Doxylamine is also what's combined with DXM and acetaminophen in Nyquil.

It's fast acting but won't floor you, and doesn't drag on into the next day like diphen. and dimen. tend to as a result of their respective long half lives. You could also consider a tricyclic antidepressant if you decide to try a prescription alternative.

Try doxylamine succinate. It's an OTC antihistamine, the active ingredient in several sleep aids. Also there's the more common one's: diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Unisom), dimenhydrinate (Dramamine-Less Drowsy formula, Dimetapp) and meclizine (Dramamine Original). Doxylamine is also what's combined with DXM and acetaminophen in Nyquil.

It's fast acting but won't floor you, and doesn't drag on into the next day like diphen. and dimen. tend to as a result of their respective long half lives. You could also consider a tricyclic antidepressant if you decide to try a prescription alternative.
Funny I was taking both at the same doxylamine and diphenhydramine but they wouldn’t keep me asleep for long, now I’m on Ambien but after awhile you get use to it, so I take two doxylamine with the ambien.