View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Singed Mushroom Caps: What and Why?

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
My apologies in advance if this falls afoul of the prohibition of drug identification.

Ok, so one of the batches of mushrooms I recently picked up came in looking rather weird.
I've never seen anything like it. They're "Malabar" P. cubensis.

A lot (maybe even most) of the caps look burnt. They have black staining on the caps that doesn't look like it's a growth so I'm not suspecting mould. The stems also have quite a bit of smaller black spots which look like typical spore staining. The stems aren't really concerning, though the spore staining looks a bit on the heavy side.
The caps are worrying because I've never seen anything like it.

It looks like they changed colour from the golden brown to a dark brown-black. Sort of like how a metal might oxidise. Some are darker than others. One cap is completely darkened where most are only partially darkened.

Could it be a result of excess moisture during growing?

Any ideas?

Any helpe would be much appreciated as this batch constitutes almost half my rather substantial stash and I'd like to identify the problem so I don't have to throw it out. Unfortunately, returning them to the source or procuring a refund is out of the question....though they may send replacement product (haven't cleared that up yet).

Cheers

Hey dude , I dont know for certain but my thinking would be that they have either been dried with heat and been scorched a bit which would probably mean they've also been reduced in potency . Alternatively it could be oxidation as you said but typically that would result in a more blue hue . If theyve all been bunched together it could be sporation from shrooms that were on top . In any case I'd suggest contacting your source with a few photos and ask what they think or at least stick some photos up on reddit or the shroomery . However if you cant do this or you're too impatient (which I doubt is the case seeing as you made this post) if you must eat some before obtaining an answer just have a very minor dose and keep some mushrooms on hand for if you need to contact the emergency services so they can identify the cause and act appropriately, however I would strong advise against the final option :) hope this helps

I grow/grew shrooms. The black staining is massive spore dropping. It’s a way to make prints. All the caps on one harvest would be fully open and golden in the morning. 8 hours later it looked like squid ink all over my perlite. Do you have a photo?

Tom

I'm having trouble uploading the photos I took. They're about 2MB...what's the size limit for posting?

Thanks for the input everyone. I still can't manage to upload a photo but I have confirmed that it is spore staining. Mad....never seen anything like it.

At least I know can identify extreme spore staining when I see it and perhaps be of help in future.

Exactly that. Cheers!

The first time I grew shrooms I wasted money on a kit. Containing an incubator, etc. Then I made my own kit (96l plastic tote, some plastic tubing, one aquarium air pump and perlite). That was the fruiting chamber. If you’re going really fancy, throw in a cheap digital hygrometer. I used something called pftek and grew the mycelium in jars. When all the substrate was white I’d just put on a pair of rubber gloves, wash the vermiculite off, dunk the cakes in distilled water for 8 hours and then plunk the moistened cake on the lid of the jar and place that in the fruiting chamber. Total time from start to harvest ~35 days.

First time I grew them I freaked b/c it looked like ‘black shit’ all over the place. Some people say that the mushrooms are more potent if you harvest them before they spore drop - I never found that.

If you do grow, they dry perfectly in a cheap food dehydrator set to 95F rotating the tray once every 6 hours for 24 hours total.

Tom

(a GREAT recipe is to take dry shrooms, pulverize them into dust and put them into a tea strainer with some green tea. Do your calculations and add water at ~200F, add a bit of honey and lemon and then put the tea in a covered container in the fridge. keeps for at least a week w/no loss of potency. And, you can put the shroom ice tea into an ice cube tray and make shroom iced tea cubes)

Last edited:
were the mushrooms good tho? haha

I actually haven't made tea with them yet for me or anyone else. Haven't even packaged tea bags for anyone using these yet. :LOL:
I had such a mountain of mushrooms that I'm trying to process the oldest stuff first. It's slow going. There's only so much low dose tea a man can handle and whilst I do feed tea to all my guests, I don't have that many friends.

(a GREAT recipe is to take dry shrooms, pulverize them into dust and put them into a tea strainer with some green tea. Do your calculations and add water at ~200F, add a bit of honey and lemon and then put the test in a covered container in the fridge. keeps for at least a week w/no loss of potency. And, you can put the shroom ice tea into an ice cube tray and make shroom iced tea cubes)

Ok, I think these iced tea mushroom cubes are a perfect idea for what I've been trying to do which is to switch from drinking alchol-based cocktails to drinking mushroom-based cocktails.
Thanks for the idea! :)

We get frostburn on our woodlovers over here.
Could it be that?

They're from British Columbia and were bought in November......I'm pretty sure they're from Vancouver Island.....I don't think they've seen frost over there even to this day.