• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Silymarin vs. Silybin (Milk Thistle)

gh0stmAn

Bluelighter
What is the difference in effectiveness between Silymarin and Silybin? Is it best to take both or what? I just ordered <snip> which has 600mg of milk thistle seed extract (80% Silymarin) and some other herbal extracts in it. But after doing some more research I came across "silybin" and how this stuff too is good for your liver and that the best form to take it in is with something called 'phosphatidylcholine' that makes it absorb a lot better. SO now I am looking at either ordering <snip> (Silybin Phytosome: Silybum marianum extract (seed) / Phosphatidylcholine complex) or <snip> , which one would you guys say looks better? I just can't decide, the first one looks like it has more stuff but that doesn't always mean a better product, geez after doing research into this Milk Thistle stuff it starts to get super complicated and EXPENSIVE!! jimminy freaking crack corn cricket nuggets! 8o

Also is there any other things you would recommend that are good for liver health? Right now I am taking that "Liver Rescue" stuff I just ordered and NAC for my little liver cleanse I am doing. I am also drinking Kombucha daily as much as I can because they say gluconic acid (or is it "glucuronic acid"? is there a difference?) is good for liver health/detox, but this stuff too is expensive as hell at <snip> a bottle at the grocery store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not post links to sources on Bluelight. Advertising or price discussion is not allowed here, even if it's a relatively benign herbal product like in this case.

Milk thistle might have some protective effect against alcoholic liver disease, but it should not be seen as a magic herb that makes you able to drink as much booze as you want without any negative consequences. I'm not sure if it also helps against acetaminophen toxicity.

Most "alternative" treatments that claim to "remove toxins" from the human body don't have any scientific evidence behind them.

Milk thistle might have some protective effect against alcoholic liver disease, but it should not be seen as a magic herb that makes you able to drink as much booze as you want without any negative consequences.

I bet if a researcher ever came up with such a substance, the stuff would probably be flying off the shelves =D As far as I know though, no such thing exists...... and probably never will.

Last edited:
Fractionated herbal extracts are inferior to the whole herb product, usually. We talk about this regularly in the clinical herbalism community. The constituents in the whole plant interact with the body in evolutionary ways that single-extract experimentation can't explore. The fractionated products are an attempt by modern pharmaceutical companies (mostly) to get a foothold into the natural health sector as well. They do not necessarily represent a superior product.

You're better off just buying a whole milk thistle tincture. In the case of MT, the pills work alright too. Tincture is better though. It should be 1:2, which I admit is not always easy to find. Don't go above 1:4 or its medicine will be too diluted.

I take 800 IU vitamin e every day for liver support per doctor's recommendation since I'm an alky. Milk thistle I believe is good also for a cleanse but I can't remember if it's something to take long term. I've only taken it once for a week or two.