Signs of an addict

Addicts behave like they are in love with with their DOC, but the relationship is an abusive one.

Exactly! Being in love with your DOC, is like loving your executioner as your waiting to die on death row! If that makes any sense :\

I dunno...when I'm using I can honestly tell you that I'm not a lot of those things on that list. Some, absolutely, but most no. Then again I wouldn't call myself an ADDICT, just a reacreational user so maybe it doesn't apply to me.

yeah man no offense but if you are not an ADDICT then these probably won't apply to you, hence the thread title "signs of an addict" lol

...contrary to popular belief not all people who use drugs are addicts. I have even known some people who would keep up with me some nights, blowing through massive amounts of drugs, but then a week later be like nah man, that was just that one night, I dont like to do it that much.

That kind of shit doesn't register in my brain. Turning drugs down for any reason has never made sense to me personally. There is no such thing as too much, it is ALWAYS never enough, always.

Becoming anti-social is one of the biggest signs I've noticed in myself, and many other addicts. I'm nowhere near as outgoing as I used to be. I have very little desire to hang out with non-users these days... I just feel like I can't relate to them, nor them to me. The physical effects are also a pretty big sign! I've lost heaps of weight, become very pale, etc.

yea, thats a dead giveaway...for me at least

I dunno, for me, I NEED to portray an image that folks expect regardless of the discomfort of what I actually feel, hence 'faking it' or 'putting another mask on'

Most are charming. Self absorbed. In a secret hidden pain they may never reveal to others. Manipulative. Angered easily. Mood changes quickly. Lies compulsively. You can see the pain in their eyes yet do anything to hide it. Pale. Personality changes. Many more....

most are charming. Self absorbed. In a secret hidden pain they may never reveal to others. Manipulative. Angered easily. Mood changes quickly. Lies compulsively. You can see the pain in their eyes yet do anything to hide it. Pale. Personality changes. Many more....

qft

A lot of the traits of an addict are universal human traits. Over identification with an addict archetype could be counter productive to recovery for some people, but to the extent that it helps one come to a realistic self assessment it is probably useful.

An empowering and workable self image is pretty tricky. It is also important to remember we are not our traits and most personality traits have considerable flexibility. I'm not sure I believe in an inborn inner addict that requires life long restraint.

A lot of the traits of an addict are universal human traits.

I agree, but I tend to think that, like with most things, addicts take these traits and live them to the max.

Everything is over-indulgence...drugs, sex, rock and roll and even personality traits.

I guess in some ways, I wonder if I have certain traits because I am an addict or if I am an addict because I have certain traits.

Deep :)

Of course the main objective of an addict, will always be the next fix!
Miss you jeff whenever you can pm me.
I feel you bro...
you are my boy...

Addicts behave like they are in love with with their DOC, but the relationship is an abusive one.

Perfect! My therapist told me a few weeks ago my most abusive relationship I had was with myself.

As an addict, I am:

* Selfish enough to make my family do without so I can have drugs.

* Willing to steal, lie and con you out of anything you have that I want

* Will drive 6 hours to score drugs, but not across the street to see a friend in need.

* Become an angry, irrational, irresponsible mess.

* Will you use you, hurt you, anger you and then convince you it is your fault. Not mine.

I think these are things that all addicts do!

Three days sober again, guys!=D

When you don't have the energy to go out and do anything else but when there is scoring drugs involved you magically get all the nergy and motivation you need..

these are some bad ones for me, but not nearly all traits:

-apathy, lack of motivation, odd eating/sleeping habits, mood rollercoaster
-dreamy/stoned lookin when relaxed, and sober
-unintentional intimidation or overwhleming energy
-ocassionaly walk like a duck
-tremors/shaky lil junky hands
-coughing up stuff, any sort of fit..
- a slur and stutter
-bloodshot eyes, perma-dilated pupils, perma-grin and retarded laughing and/or giggling like schoolgirl
- serious about life around 1 or 2 per cent of the time
- (intentional) cigarette burns on skin, both arms.
- torn clothing, blood stains on clothing, messy hair, twitching lips, makin stupid faces and stuff like that
- sad looking, rugged complexion, pain in my dark brown eyes (sorry thats a lil depressin)
- charming yet manipulative
- "leave me the fuck alone"-type isolation
- try my best to be honest, fail frequently these days ..sort of. this changes all the time
- controlling
- somewhat spoiled
- very giving but love receiving and taking
- lie about nothing important at all, no reason, no logic in the lie
- a bad liar, at that

-when grooming and hygiene are no longer a priority because they interfere with 'high time'