View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shrooms

Berserkgungnir

Greenlighter
Hello everyone. I am going to try shrooms for the first time today after work at 5:00PM. I bought an eighth of shrooms. I know I am not supposed to take all of that because it will produce a bad bad trip. I would like to know what to expect from my first trip and how much i should try doing first. Thank you!

Hey man, I'm gonna move this to Psychedelic Drugs, where you'll get the best replies.

It's a good idea not to take a whole 8th your first time, definitely. It's not that an 8th will cause a bad trip, it's just that you don't know how you'll react yet. My recommendation is to go with 1.5-2 grams. That will give you a solid trip most likely (unless the mushrooms are weak), but will be much more likely to be manageable.

You should expect it to be nothing like you expected (assuming you have never tripped before?). Here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • The come-up period is the most difficult part of psychedelics. In most of my early trips, I felt uncomfortable and sometimes quite anxious until I reached the peak. It can be quite disorienting to make the transition from sober to tripping. This is normal. I often used to find myself thinking "fuck, why did I do this to myself? I feel poisoned", and stuff like that, on the come-up. Don't succumb to that and remember it will pass. Psychedelics sort of give you a hangover beforehand, and then leave you feeling great, unlike most other drugs, that feel good immediately but leave you feeling drained. All that said, my first trip was very smooth, so it's not a given that the come-up will be difficult
  • Remember, if you feel anxious at any point, it will pass. Giving in to the anxiety and panicking can make the whole trip feel bad, but it's normal for trips to have periods of "badness". In fact some of my best trips have been very difficult at points.
  • Remember if you start feeling like you'll never be normal again or that you've gone insane or that you've broken your brain, that these things are not true and that the trip will pass and you will feel normal again. Sometimes these thoughts happen when things get difficult, and if you can remember that it's normal and will pass, it really helps you get past them.
  • Don't fight the effects, let go and accept what is happening, this will really help if things get difficult or confronting.
  • Expect it to last 4-6 hours. Afterwards you probably still can't act normal for a few more hours.
  • Make sure you're in a good, safe setting, where people won't be dropping by unexpectedly and you won't have to deal with strangers, and where you're not going to have to hide your tripping from anyone.
  • Smoking weed will make the trip much more intense, many times smoking weed will push a trip from totally manageable to very difficult. Weed contributes to anxiety, especially on psychedelics. So at least make sure you're definitely done with the peak before smoking, in my opinion. At least your first time. If you're hitting uncomfortable territory, smoking weed will NOT help, it will make it worse.
Psychedelics can be recreational, but they also require some work on your part and can be challenging. But if you remember this stuff, you're likely to have a good time. In all likelihood, your trip will be euphoric and great, but I just wanted to give you some information for dealing with it if it's not. The way I see it, difficult trips can be the most rewarding in the end, even if they're frightening or disturbing during the trip. I have tripped hundreds of times, and I have never had what I consider a "bad trip", even though I have been so terrified before that I considered killing myself during the trip. It's about how you frame the experience. Some people have a difficult time, or are confronted with something about themselves they don't want to accept, and give in to panic and then afterwards become obsessed with the idea that they damaged themselves, but the vast majority of the time, it's just anxiety. Chronic anxiety can have all sorts of negative effects on your physical and mental health. So just remember, you'll be fine, and difficult periods of the trip are perfectly normal. :)

Yep. 1.75 g to 2g's should be a perfect starting point. Doing a full eighth your first time doesn't guarantee that you'll have a bad trip, it just means a higher likelihood that it isn't quite as enjoyable.

If you're nervous, a couple of things that I would do when I first started tripping (and still occasionally do) to make me feel better are:

Make a playlist of my happiest songs. Songs that my love for is so strong that no matter how crazy the trip gets, just hearing the first chords would calm me down and remind me that it's all gonna be alright. Even now as experienced as I am (compared to some on this board, I'm still a complete novice) I still like to listen to some of my favorite, more upbeat music while taking the substance. Just to start the trip off nice.

Get some fruit or juice or candy or gum or any lightly sweet substance to suck on or drink on after you eat the mushrooms. Most psychedelics don't taste good. Some people disagree, but the overwhelming majority of people agree that mushrooms specifically taste terrible. Think of dirt crackers sprinkled with mushroom powder. You might feel like throwing up while eating them just because of the taste. And you might feel like throwing up after you eat them because of the feeling they give you. So it doesn't hurt to pop a nice blow pop in your mouth just get your taste buds working on something sweet. And if the trip gets a little too intense? Doesn't hurt to pop another one in your mouth to remind yourself you're still human.

Last tip, don't feel forced to listen to a certain album or watch or a certain movie just because it's synonymous with tripping. Floyd is amazing. Jefferson Airplane is great. But I feel like it can be 1) Too overwhelming for beginners (I've seen people start tripping much harder because of the music or movie we were watching. or 2) You try so hard to make this famously trippy things actually trippy and waste 2 hours of the trip trying to force visuals that aren't gonna come. I can't even tell you how many times I've tripped and someone suggested we watch [insert famously trippy movie] and we would have been way better off doing anything else for that 2 hours.

Most importantly though, do what feels right to you. Your mood matters with these drugs. So if you aren't enjoying something, things can go bad. So do whatever feels good.

With all that said.. Enjoy it, homie. I hope you laugh until your face hurts. And good luck!

Hey man, I'm gonna move this to Psychedelic Drugs, where you'll get the best replies.

It's a good idea not to take a whole 8th your first time, definitely. It's not that an 8th will cause a bad trip, it's just that you don't know how you'll react yet. My recommendation is to go with 1.5-2 grams. That will give you a solid trip most likely (unless the mushrooms are weak), but will be much more likely to be manageable.

You should expect it to be nothing like you expected (assuming you have never tripped before?). Here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • The come-up period is the most difficult part of psychedelics. In most of my early trips, I felt uncomfortable and sometimes quite anxious until I reached the peak. It can be quite disorienting to make the transition from sober to tripping. This is normal. I often used to find myself thinking "fuck, why did I do this to myself? I feel poisoned", and stuff like that, on the come-up. Don't succumb to that and remember it will pass. Psychedelics sort of give you a hangover beforehand, and then leave you feeling great, unlike most other drugs, that feel good immediately but leave you feeling drained. All that said, my first trip was very smooth, so it's not a given that the come-up will be difficult
  • Remember, if you feel anxious at any point, it will pass. Giving in to the anxiety and panicking can make the whole trip feel bad, but it's normal for trips to have periods of "badness". In fact some of my best trips have been very difficult at points.
  • Remember if you start feeling like you'll never be normal again or that you've gone insane or that you've broken your brain, that these things are not true and that the trip will pass and you will feel normal again. Sometimes these thoughts happen when things get difficult, and if you can remember that it's normal and will pass, it really helps you get past them.
  • Don't fight the effects, let go and accept what is happening, this will really help if things get difficult or confronting.
  • Expect it to last 4-6 hours. Afterwards you probably still can't act normal for a few more hours.
  • Make sure you're in a good, safe setting, where people won't be dropping by unexpectedly and you won't have to deal with strangers, and where you're not going to have to hide your tripping from anyone.
  • Smoking weed will make the trip much more intense, many times smoking weed will push a trip from totally manageable to very difficult. Weed contributes to anxiety, especially on psychedelics. So at least make sure you're definitely done with the peak before smoking, in my opinion. At least your first time. If you're hitting uncomfortable territory, smoking weed will NOT help, it will make it worse.
Psychedelics can be recreational, but they also require some work on your part and can be challenging. But if you remember this stuff, you're likely to have a good time. In all likelihood, your trip will be euphoric and great, but I just wanted to give you some information for dealing with it if it's not. The way I see it, difficult trips can be the most rewarding in the end, even if they're frightening or disturbing during the trip. I have tripped hundreds of times, and I have never had what I consider a "bad trip", even though I have been so terrified before that I considered killing myself during the trip. It's about how you frame the experience. Some people have a difficult time, or are confronted with something about themselves they don't want to accept, and give in to panic and then afterwards become obsessed with the idea that they damaged themselves, but the vast majority of the time, it's just anxiety. Chronic anxiety can have all sorts of negative effects on your physical and mental health. So just remember, you'll be fine, and difficult periods of the trip are perfectly normal. :)
Awsome advice thank you! Will post how I do later

Yep. 1.75 g to 2g's should be a perfect starting point. Doing a full eighth your first time doesn't guarantee that you'll have a bad trip, it just means a higher likelihood that it isn't quite as enjoyable.

If you're nervous, a couple of things that I would do when I first started tripping (and still occasionally do) to make me feel better are:

Make a playlist of my happiest songs. Songs that my love for is so strong that no matter how crazy the trip gets, just hearing the first chords would calm me down and remind me that it's all gonna be alright. Even now as experienced as I am (compared to some on this board, I'm still a complete novice) I still like to listen to some of my favorite, more upbeat music while taking the substance. Just to start the trip off nice.

Get some fruit or juice or candy or gum or any lightly sweet substance to suck on or drink on after you eat the mushrooms. Most psychedelics don't taste good. Some people disagree, but the overwhelming majority of people agree that mushrooms specifically taste terrible. Think of dirt crackers sprinkled with mushroom powder. You might feel like throwing up while eating them just because of the taste. And you might feel like throwing up after you eat them because of the feeling they give you. So it doesn't hurt to pop a nice blow pop in your mouth just get your taste buds working on something sweet. And if the trip gets a little too intense? Doesn't hurt to pop another one in your mouth to remind yourself you're still human.

Last tip, don't feel forced to listen to a certain album or watch or a certain movie just because it's synonymous with tripping. Floyd is amazing. Jefferson Airplane is great. But I feel like it can be 1) Too overwhelming for beginners (I've seen people start tripping much harder because of the music or movie we were watching. or 2) You try so hard to make this famously trippy things actually trippy and waste 2 hours of the trip trying to force visuals that aren't gonna come. I can't even tell you how many times I've tripped and someone suggested we watch [insert famously trippy movie] and we would have been way better off doing anything else for that 2 hours.

Most importantly though, do what feels right to you. Your mood matters with these drugs. So if you aren't enjoying something, things can go bad. So do whatever feels good.

With all that said.. Enjoy it, homie. I hope you laugh until your face hurts. And good luck!
Thank you for advice!!!

Grinding up the shrooms into a powder and putting them into vege caps is a good way to ingest them without having to deal with the taste. I personally find the taste of shrooms okay not awful but not the best tasting thing on the planet. My first ever shroom trip i did 4g dried due to previous experince with lsd and that was too intense for people 2 grams dried for there first experience into shrooms is a good manageable dose. For myself and others having a light meal a few hours before doing shrooms will help ease digestion when i do it on a empty stomach i usually throw up but it differs from person to person. Shrooms come on fast after feeling the first initial effects just relax and let the experience happen. Music also makes the experience and influences your mood. I personally like psybient since its very chill and mind bending but listen to what you like most. Shrooms are amazing and imo the best psychedelic

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am going to try shrooms for the first time today after work at 5:00PM. I bought an eighth of shrooms. I know I am not supposed to take all of that because it will produce a bad bad trip. I would like to know what to expect from my first trip and how much i should try doing first. Thank you!

It's not necessarily true that taking an eighth of shrooms will produce a bad trip.

That's the standard dose that most people usually take in my experience, and I personally have never taken any other dose of shrooms and most of my trips have been good.

I mean, you might be smart to start with a little less like 2.5 grams (obviously an eighth is 3.5 grams) and you could wait a while (usually they take like 45 mins to kick in but a while more to peak) and see if you want more or not, then if you do take another 0.5 or whatever, if not then don't.

It would probably be smart if you are concerned to start with a little less since it is your first time, but an eighth, being the usual dose, will not necessarily make you have a bad trip.

Edit: I see others have already responded: Yeah, starting slow is smart. I would agree that 1.5--2 grams would be smart starting point.

Then they might kick in around 45 mins and I would wait like another hour till like 1 hour and 45 mins after ingestion to decide if maybe you want a little more like another 0.5 of a gram to 1 gram.

It's also nice to do that as shrooms only last about 4 hours but that way you get a longer but smoother and lighter experience.

As others said, it's not necessarily true that an eighth will make you freak out, but being your 1st time you don't know how you'll react so it's smart to start off slow.

I'd make sure you have something in your stomach first, but probably just something light or normal food you'd usually eat. Too little food can give you a stomach ache on them but too much heavy food good also. I mean, sometimes you can even get a stomach ache on shrooms regardless but not always. You could keep some stomach meds on hand if it happens like Pepto Bismol or Tums or something.

Have fun.

It's funny cause I do the bolded but not usually with tripping but other drugs like weed, Kratom or whatever, or not even with any drug at all but just sober I'll FORCE myself to listen to certain music or watch a certain movie cause I like to consider myself a real connoisseur of certain styles of music or movies and want to make myself get into them even when I'm not in the mood to listen to that kind of music or watch that kind of movie.

Then I'm like not enjoying it and I'm probably even by myself without anyone else making me listen to that or watch that, deciding if I want to switch to different music or a different movie and like arguing with myself like "dude...it's YOUR choice, you don't HAVE to listen to this/watch this, just do it another time and listen to/watch what you are in the mood for!" lol.

Grinding up the shrooms into a powder and putting them into vege caps is a good way to ingest them without having to deal with the taste. I personally find the taste of shrooms okay not awful but not the best tasting thing on the planet. My first ever shroom trip i did 4g dried due to previous experince with lsd and that was too intense for people 2 grams dried for there first experience into shrooms is a good manageable dose. For myself and others having a light meal a few hours before doing shrooms will help ease digestion when i do it on a empty stomach i usually throw up but it differs from person to person. Shrooms come on fast after feeling the first initial effects just relax and let the experience happen. Music also makes the experience and influences your mood. I personally like psybient since its very chill and mind bending but listen to what you like most. Shrooms are amazing and imo the best psychedelic

You can also grind up the left over powder and smoke it in a joint.

I've done that with friends several times and it works but it tastes disgusting.

One disgusting moment memory from college that was epic only cause it was nasty was that some friends of mine had somehow accidentally forgotten an eighth of shrooms in a bag under some couch cushions for like 6 months and we'd sat on them and crushed them until they were really old and dried out and disgusting.

We figured they were old and probably wouldn't work if we ate them, and it was my friend's decision to grind them up and make a big blunt out of it and smoke it together.

We did and it was really disgusting and not one of us got any effects from it Hahhaahaha.

From then on we would mention it in casual conversation as "the epic shroom blunt" lol.

You can also grind up the left over powder and smoke it in a joint.

I've done that with friends several times and it works but it tastes disgusting.

One disgusting moment memory from college that was epic only cause it was nasty was that some friends of mine had somehow accidentally forgotten an eighth of shrooms in a bag under some couch cushions for like 6 months and we'd sat on them and crushed them until they were really old and dried out and disgusting.

We figured they were old and probably wouldn't work if we ate them, and it was my friend's decision to grind them up and make a big blunt out of it and smoke it together.

We did and it was really disgusting and not one of us got any effects from it Hahhaahaha.

From then on we would mention it in casual conversation as "the epic shroom blunt" lol.
I heard of a few people doing that. Imo its not the work the risk of getting a fungal infection in the lungs any leftovers just shot it back with a lemon juice shot haha

So how was your first mushroom trip? My friends and I all started with 3.5g our first times as teenagers and whilst I could handle it, most of them couldn't their first time, so yep, best you split it in half your first go.

So Columbus was sailing across the ocean munching shrooms when he came upon North America, is that what you're saying?