• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

shrooms + schizophrenia !

I contend if you do become schizophrenic, that it was an inevitability anyways.

That, or you're just stuck in that parallel universe where you contracted schizophrenia, whereas there's another parallel universe where you aren't schizophrenic.

My opinion: do it, shrooms are wonderful.

I have noticed symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar with myself, but I continue to use psychedelics. I'm no doctor so I don't know if my assessment of symptoms is unfounded or not, but I've accepted that if I'm destined to be schizophrenic then thats how things are meant to be. I've felt multiple consciousnesses in my own head and spoken with myself, some were thinking faster than others and couldn't keep up, on strong acid and shrooms trips. I have never done this while sober, and my other "symptoms" have greatly lessened with less frequent cannabis use. On acid and shrooms I wasn't afraid, but when I felt such things on pot it was quite scary.

Also I read some where that the correlation between pot and schizophrenia isn't very well understood. There are studies showing that many heavy pot smokers have increased chances of developing schizophrenia and that many schizophrenic people were frequent pot smokers. Therefore it isn't known if people who are predisposed to mental illness are also predisposed to urges to alter consciousness. The biggest part that isn't understood is the rate of schizophrenia in the US. I forgot where I read this (sorry you can't believe my word for it without citation) that the rate of schizophrenia has not gone up since it was first labeled as a mental disorder although pot use has greatly increased.

Agreeing with Captain Heroin here.. though that doesn't sound like the way to win votes.

It seems to be that it is the majority attitude towards schizophrenia that can make it such a horrible mind state for those who suffer from it. I'm sure there are many people who have self-managed schizophrenia and use it for their benefit.

If the symptom "suffering" person is told continuously that he/she is ill, does not fit in and needs to take these pills, then this will undoubtedly make it a ton worse.

Perhaps we need some sort of positive output for schizophrenics to focus on, rather than trying to magic something away which obviously has had a firm position in our gene pool for a very long time.

I have some symptoms of schizophrenia, these are brought out especially when combining psychedelics with stimulants. Psychedelics by themselves however bring me to a kind of schizo paradise where I can sort out my mind and thoughts.

I should do more reading into this..

I get an icky feeling about these topics. God I hope more open psychedelic research can be done so we have a straight answer about shit like this. I just don't think any of us in PD are knowledgeable enough to advice someone on something this serious...

i have this insane urge to try shrooms for the first time, but i'm slightly unnerved because my aunty suffers from sever schizophrenia, obviously indicating i have the mental condition in my gene.

ive had some experience with marijuana, (no visuals), and a DXM experience on 320mg.

so, a very small psychadelic experience. i do feel a little paranoid after weed use - i.e. theres someone in my house, looking behind myself, but its not major i know its just my mind.

im just wondering how high of a risk it is for me to have shrooms, and to get schizo. also is shrooms a good introductory psychadelic because i want to explore psychadelics more.

i would startwith a low dose like 1g.

thanks

-Infected

What sex are you and how old are you?

I doubt that you'll go perma-crazy from doing shrooms once. However, you sound worried enough about it that you'll probably think that you have gone permanently insane

i honestly don't reccomend that you take any psychedelics. as much fun as it potentially could be it wouldn't be worth it if you developed schizophrenia.

^^^
This.

It's not a distant relative, it's a direct relative, and you do run the risk of being Schizophrenic.

It's been 7 years since he asked this question so whatever. Let it rest.

It is true that Schizophreniaa is a though disorder and the name means split brain.
I am very curious as well about wether or not shrooms will affect someones disorder, no matter the type of disorder and we need more information about this.

I have read that schizophrenia is definitely hereditary from the godly text of 'split brain' articles called: Uncovering The Hidden Risk Architectures of The Schizophrenias:...
How do the different parts of the brain work together when it comes to this disease.

I would not try shrooms if you are still having disorganized thoughts because the only reason one would do so is because they are not thinking straight.
You must give it some times sometimes.

Schizophrenia is a disease that largely enters the population for males when they are from their early twenties to thirties and the likelihood greatly dissipates after your thirty year mark.

I'm sick of these kinds of threads.
Along with dissociatives, psychedelics are the worst drugs you could possibly take if you have a predisposition to psychosis.
I once saw a paranoid schizophrenic go batshit insane off a low dose of LSD. This was over a year ago and to my knowledge he's still in a psychiatric ward.

Paranoid schizos go batshit off all kinds of things - they don't need LSD.

In my family Asperger's and schizophrenia are present, still for complex reasons I was compelled to start tripping a lot after a life-changing spiritual initial experience. I did not get delusional but I did have an existential crisis for some time. Before then I was never really that actively bothered by it but I think that tripping brought out, activated or manifested everything that was in me, latent or no. I became quite emphatically 'myself', both inducing positive potentials as well as problems. I developed issues associated with high functioning autism, fortunately no schizoprenic symptoms were developed at all but I think I dodged a bullet to be honest - even if schizophrenia is considerably less prevalent in my family, it is still in the numbers so I could have drawn it.
Fortunately have been able to work on my issues and came out more integrated than I ever was before, but the point of my story is that in my opinion and experience psychedelics can really stir up what is hiding inside you, and what is in your family you have increased risk of - apparently higher than the 1% an 'average' person would have. The harder you go at it, the more you'd tempt fate.

Since schizophrenics have trouble separating their thoughts and mental projections from what is going on around them, the mental manifestations inherent to psychedelic use are likely to induce such confusion. I don't believe that 'sooner or later you would be inevitably bound to have it surface anyway, if it is there' like CH says. There are gradations in how progressive a disease is, and helping to trigger it seems quite likely to exacerbate its progression as opposed to its latency.

I don't think it is bad that we are seeing these threads cause the question needs to be addressed, not suppressed... but I emplore everyone to take arguments seriously even if that means psychedelics or dissociatives are not a smart decision for you. It can really be quite harmful to be too relaxed about it.

Last edited:
It is true that Schizophreniaa is a though disorder and the name means split brain.

"Since the condition seemed to involve a mental split between thought and emotion Bleuler coined the term 'schizophrenia' for 'splitting of the mind' The term is derived from German 'schizophrenie' from Greek 'skhizein' meaning 'to split' and 'phren' of unknown origin meaning 'heart or mind'" from http://www.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_theories_of_schizophrenia

Thoughts and emotions are split, so that when you think something you wont feel (it) like normal people do

I have scitzoaffective disorder, major depression, bi polar, GAD and ADD and I'll give you some things I have learned from my experiences with psychedelics.

I was diagnosed with these conditions prior to ever using any substance, including alcohol and weed. I was in my early 20's when this happened and didn't really start using psychedelics until I was about 21. The first psychedelic I used was LSD and I would use it once (at about 1-3 hits) every month or so from the age of 21 to 21 and a half. From this amount of usage I never had any ill side effects, mentally or emotionally. I feel that it never made my symptoms of my disorders worse or distort my perception of reality. Also it should be noted that during this time I was on the drugs epival at 2000mg and various antipsychotics so this may have played a part in the no ill effects. Then I had about a half year clean from psychedelics.

Right before I turned 22 I met my ex who I dated for almost 5 and a half years and we got really heavy into psychedelics for the first year of our relationship (during this time I was on 2000mg of epival, 9mg of invega, 300mg wellbutrin xl and 12mg of clonazepam). The first time she ever did lsd was with me and she took 12 hits and I took 16. This was on some really good lsd blotters too and emotionally/mentally we were both unfazed and it had no negative impacts. For the next year or so we would do lsd/dxm/research chemicals maybe 2 or sometimes 3 times a week. At one point I had a trip off of 100mg of 2ce and another time I did 35 hits of lsd. After a year of this we grew tired of psychedelics and stopped using all of them. For me I've only used mushrooms 4-5 times since then and no other psychedelics.

All in all I don't feel psychedelics have negatively affected the symptoms of my mood disorders, I don't feel any detachment from reality or disturbed thinking patterns. But I also was on nueroleptics and mood stabilizers during my time of usage and had a really great gf to do them with to help keep me grounded.

Mind you I would not suggest doing what I did, I only started using after I was diagnosed, but if mental health issues run in your family and you're pre-disposed to getting something like schitz, doing something like mushrooms could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I did have an existential crisis

Do you think your existential crisis wasn't the worsening of symptoms and this could have been you becoming more acutely aware of your symptoms? Often people in the mist of high functioning autism can vocalize they're different, yet can't look in the mirror and truly comprehend what makes them different. Could this be the reason you have improved, because psychedelics showed you what was wrong and you could then consciously improve some of the symptoms of your high functioning autism?