View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

shrooms + schizophrenia !

infectedmushroom

Bluelighter
i have this insane urge to try shrooms for the first time, but i'm slightly unnerved because my aunty suffers from sever schizophrenia, obviously indicating i have the mental condition in my gene.

ive had some experience with marijuana, (no visuals), and a DXM experience on 320mg.

so, a very small psychadelic experience. i do feel a little paranoid after weed use - i.e. theres someone in my house, looking behind myself, but its not major i know its just my mind.

im just wondering how high of a risk it is for me to have shrooms, and to get schizo. also is shrooms a good introductory psychadelic because i want to explore psychadelics more.

i would startwith a low dose like 1g.

thanks

-Infected

i honestly don't reccomend that you take any psychedelics. as much fun as it potentially could be it wouldn't be worth it if you developed schizophrenia.

My first reaction is that 1 out of 100 people has schizophrenia. You could have the genes for it. It is a fairly heritable disease. Given that your aunt has it and not your mother I would think would be a good sign. Although I don't know the genetics of schizophrenia. I would urge you to not use psychedelics at this time. You sound like you might be young anyways. Most schizophrenics develope symptoms in the late teens/early twenty's I believe. I would urge the young 'uns to not use psychedelics until past these ages anyways.

Peace,
PL

also, because you're worried about it, you're likely to spend the entire night thinking you've become schitzophrenic

No worries! It is a misconception that psychedelics can increase a person's susceptibility to schizophrenia. It is generally agreed that mushrooms do not greatly affect the dopamine receptors in the body, which are the neurotransmitters involved with the disease.

However, there has been a link found between cocaine and speed use and schizophrenia, so don't do those drugs!!! Happy tripping 8o

insanit_e has a good point, however, if you're up tight about it, you just won't have fun.

But i say ignore those other comments, they are uninformed. Really. Truly. No professional believes that psychedelics cause schizophrenia. My schizo friend's doctors have told him so repeatedly, and i read all about when i took abnormal psychology.

But no cocaine!!!

oh, and the rest of your questions...

I find mushrooms to be unreliable because they vary so greatly, so i'm more of an acid girl myself.

Either way, i think starting off with a low dose is an excellent idea, so that you get a feel for it without some of the real brain shaking experiences that come with large doses. A gram of mush would be good, tho you could take even less to start. Half a hit of acid, or even a quarter. You may not get many visuals, but you will feel giddy and uplifted, getting little winks of insight. The unpredictable quality of shrooms should be bypassed by only eating a bit

Pot makes everyone paranoid at times, and this is no indication of how you will fare with different drugs.

Any psychedelic can bring out latent schizophrenia. Any traumatic experience can bring out latent schizophrenia.

"Psilocybin Induces Acute/Initial Stage Schizophrenia-like Symptoms In Humans Through Serotonin-2 Receptors Which Indirectly Act on Dopamine-2 Receptors"

"5-HT Modulation of Dopamine Release in Basal Ganglia in Psilocybin-Induced Psychosis in Man"

"Interactions between lysergic acid diethylamide and dopamine-sensitive adenylate cyclase systems in rat brain"

"Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) is a partial agonist of D2 dopaminergic receptors and it potentiates dopamine-mediated prolactin secretion in lactotrophs in vitro"

"Lysergic Acid Diethylamide - LSD" - Paul May: LSD also influences neurophysiological functions that are connected with dopamine, which is another naturally occurring hormone-like substance. Most of the brain centres receptive to dopamine become activated by LSD, while the others are depressed.

"LSD as an agonist at mesolimbic dopamine receptors"

"LSD and dopamine receptors"

Probably not a good idea, but it won't kill you.

I tripped on acid and did 4 grams of ketamine after first being released from the mental ward upon discovering I had schizophrenia.

Then again, this may be the reason for my slow recovery.

there seem to be a few different opinions here and honestly, i cant tell which is most correct. some people say its fine, psychedelics have no connection to schizophrenia - others say that they do. i think my worries are backed by the fact i have a very childish, kooky imagination - i think monsters are here and there. i can laugh while sober, knowing its just my brain, but maybe a drug would push these things to be real.

so , let me put it this way - which is the 'nicest' or 'calmest' psychedelic that i can experiment with to see how i react to them. i understand this question could be a bit subjective...

also, my mums a psychologist (did i mention this earlier?) and she told me herself that weed (and im guessing psychedelics) can induce schizophrenia, especially if its in your gene. my aunty has bad schizophrenia. (my dads sister.)

also, is E considered psychedelic. will that make me schizo. because if it has MDA in it doesn't that make it hallucinogenic? :(

thanks !

-infected

Last edited:
i would say if you have to ask us (strangers to you ) if it would be an issue, you should not do it..

No worries! It is a misconception that psychedelics can increase a person's susceptibility to schizophrenia. It is generally agreed that mushrooms do not greatly affect the dopamine receptors in the body, which are the neurotransmitters involved with the disease.

However, there has been a link found between cocaine and speed use and schizophrenia, so don't do those drugs!!! Happy tripping 8o

high serotonin, and few frontal lobe serotonin receptors are also involved in schizophrenia. and lsd and psylocibin are very related to serotonin.
In fact my brother told he first got schizophrenic after shrooms. I do doubt a direct causation. He had bad friends, and had a lot of problems.

It'd be interesting to see the results of some serious studies involving the administration of psychedelics in controlled and agreeable settings, particularly with regard to mental disorders.

Oh wait, that'd be illegal. My bad.

Even from the government's perspective, I cannot fathom the motivation behind outlawing scientific study of these chemicals. Either their unfounded propaganda suddenly is backed by real evidence, and they don't look like total assholes for putting their foot down against public availability; OR, they're proven to be largely safe, in which case they don't have to waste government money battling the chemicals.

My first reaction is that 1 out of 100 people has schizophrenia. You could have the genes for it. It is a fairly heritable disease. Given that your aunt has it and not your mother I would think would be a good sign. Although I don't know the genetics of schizophrenia. I would urge you to not use psychedelics at this time. You sound like you might be young anyways. Most schizophrenics develope symptoms in the late teens/early twenty's I believe. I would urge the young 'uns to not use psychedelics until past these ages anyways.

Peace,
PL

IDk you won't necisarily. HOwever thinking you might could cause you a bad experience so be careful. I have mentally ill family members including one diagnosis of schizophrenia and i'm still as sane as i've ever been, but its always good to be careful.

Schizophrenia is not a genetically transmitted disease that might suddenly be "turned on" by psychedelics. It's a neurodevelopmental syndrome, in which genetics, early development, family dynamics, traumatic life experiences, and so on all contribute to the etiology. Psychedelics aren't going to flip a hidden switch that will make you schizo, but they might be the straw that broke the camel's back if the other factors are present.

^^

But you'd think if psychedelics were a final straw you would have noticed some increase in schizophrenia rates over the last 50 years since psychedelics gained widespread use. But schizophrenia rates have remained constant for the last 100 years.

^ I guess psychedelics will be the final straw for the soon-to-be schizophrenics that take them -- and for those that don't, it'll just be something else.

Schizophrenia is not a genetically transmitted disease that might suddenly be "turned on" by psychedelics. It's a neurodevelopmental syndrome, in which genetics, early development, family dynamics, traumatic life experiences, and so on all contribute to the etiology. Psychedelics aren't going to flip a hidden switch that will make you schizo, but they might be the straw that broke the camel's back if the other factors are present.

THats not what leading psychedelic researcher david Nichols and his son seem to think. It they suggest some people have very negative reaction to psychedelics because it can permanantly flip some sort of protein switch...? I'm not nuerologist or molecular bioligist so I don't know exactly how to explain but...

Choronzon333: That's interesting - have you got any sources on that claim? :)

also, because you're worried about it, you're likely to spend the entire night thinking you've become schitzophrenic

Funnily enough my first paranoid trip on mephedrone I felt that way, but I was seeing people and talking to people, even played hide and seek with someone who wasnt there.

but thats cause my aunt is schizophrenic too, i took my chances with psychs though.