• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

should I use Psychedelic when I'm young?

^I think we should just give the kids about an eighth of shrooms and lock them in a dark room with creepy echo noises playing, and six hours later come back be like "Thats what drugs are like, see why we tell you not to fuck around with them until you're older??" =D;)

It's hard to say whether you should use psychedelics or not. I can only speak from my own experience. I had my first strong trip when I was 15 (LSD). I didnt exactly affect me in a negative way, but if I had to relive my life I would have waited maybe 3-4 years. I didnt freak out or anything. Had a great time with a lot of wonderful and bizzare experiences. However at that time I had hundreds of other things in my life to think about, as I was still emotionally developing.

The psychedelic experience/world caught so much of my attention that I lost interest in other things which interested most other 15 year olds. And in some ways I felt less emotionally developed than most of my peers for some of the following years. Of course I was more advanced in some areas due to my experiences, but most psychedelic experiences are quite useless at that age IME.

Bottomline: IMO you should wait for a couple of years. You have plenty of time, and the will always be drugs around :)

I tried Salvia when I was 14, but I didn't 'break through'. I just had some mild membrane-like hallucinations and insatiable laughing, that's it.

Gldm said:
Oh I also agree that the majority should not be messing with psychedelics at that age. I just have a moral objection to broad-stroke prohibitions on the basis of a factor like age, because I feel they dehumanize and oversimplify the problem, as well as deprive people of individual liberty.

Also, we've see how age-based control of alcohol is a pretty big failure here in the US. In the interest of harm reduction, I think it might be worth having a discussion here on BL on what alternatives we can use when giving people like the OP advice on the subject. Because it's obvious we're not stopping them, but maybe there's a way we can at least get them to think a bit more about it.

Suggestions? Separate thread?

I like where this is going, but I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by alternatives. Could you suggest one or more alternatives so I can see what you're getting at?

I ate my first eighth of mushrooms on my 15th birthday, before I tried smoking marijuana, after an initial curiosity of those realms. the opportunity arose, and so i took it. the experience didn't harm me in any way, no regrets at all, but i must say that i get a lot more out of psychedelics now that i'm older, and have more life experience and knowledge. however, since i tripped out my first time in my mid-teens, i viewed reality in a more psychedelic light earlier than my peers. i feel that i saw through a lot of the superficial bullshit of high school social situations, and held a higher interest in more metaphysical and philosophical areas (i must state that it took a bit of time to get used to how "different" i felt from my classmates - not everyone responds well to isolation from peers). my initial interest in psychedelia has blossomed in to something very spiritually fulfilling, through developing a relationship with myself and the universe. i feel that psychedelics have allowed me to tap in to wisdom beyond my years on the earth, and I'm very grateful for that.

That is not what happens for everyone, but it has been my experience. I'm not going to say whether a person should trip at this or that age, as everything is relative to experience. I will advise though, that waiting until you know in your heart and your gut that this is what you want. Know what you're getting in to, read about drugs in general for a while, think about this decision. psychedelics are always around if you are looking, so there's no need to rush things. you know what they say, once you trip, the world is never the same. and although there's no way of preparing yourself entirely for the descent into the rabbit hole, it really helps to be educated on the subject. In the end, it's your brain, and you only have one, so be kind to it. if you feel apprehensive about taking drugs, wait until you feel comfortable with the decision, it will be more worthwhile in the end...

stay curious, and know yourself by whatever means you choose =)

IMO, no you shouldnt
i hav a few friends who started smoking weed 'early' (young teens) and all of them admit they "probably started too early"
give it time, there is so much time ahead for u 2 do drugs. u could try drugs, seamlessly integrate them into your life and have no problems. or you could cause head problems, addiction etc..
it is argued that even a fully grown adult SHOULDNT take drugs, let alone a 13 year old.
anyway thats just my 2 cents. if and when u do drugs, b steady and dont go insane with them-they can give u the best times in the world but also the worst.

No! Obviously, I think that psychedelics are fine (and possibly very helpful) for adults with no contraindications (e.g. schizophrenia or other batshit craziness), but certainly not for kids and young teens. There are a number of studies demonstrating that drugs that have little deleterious effect on the developed (post-puberty) central nervous system can have unexpected detrimental effects on the developing nervous system. While most of these studies focus on other, non-psychedelic compounds, it is still not a good idea to fuck around with the CNS while it is still developing.

The side effects and negative effects of drugs are often greatly intensified for people that start using during puberty and before. For example, using cannabinoids or MDMA during puberty can lead to rather permeant cognitive deficits. Individuals using depressants (EtOH, et al), cocaine or nicotine during adolescence usually have a significantly greater problem quitting than those who wait until later in life. And I would imagine that those using psychedelics during puberty would be more likely to have a bad reaction, experience psychical instability, lose control, do something really stupid, etc...

I hate to sound like an old fart (because I'm not really old), but chances are, at age 14, you are not attempting to use psychedelics in search of cognitive expansion, but just to get "m4d fUck3d up" and kill time/boredom. While you might be the world's most responsible 14 year old, most 14 year olds are not responsible and not mature enough to handle potent psychoactive compounds. And while I was extremely mature (dare I say tight-assed) at age 14, I am still very glad that I waited until I was around 20 to start experimenting with various chemicals--if for no other reason than the biochemcial and neurophysiological stability inherent to no longer being in the middle of a "developmentally critical" formative period.

So just wait a few years, that way you'll be far less likely to end up becoming a stereotype/scapegoat for the "mmm, drugs are bad, m'kay..." consortium.

Last edited:
Im 15. Sixteen soon and so far ive only smoked pot. If you feel ready, you feel ready man. Go for gold, just be with people that you trust.

You just turned 15:

Start saving a trip fund. Put at least three bucks in a SECRET WELL-HIDDEN container/hiding place every month (whatever you can afford, but DON'T dip into the shit!).

By the time you're 18 (a fine starting age, I think - the brain is now fully developed), you've got an over $100 grant on top of whatever your income may be ---------- For psychedelic research! Erl I mean for SWIMming lessons....

Realistically, I doubt many teenagers would be able to save a hundred bucks that way. I certainly couldn't - as a teenager and now, in my mid-thirties (if you raise the amount of bucks a little).

Peacelove,
Aldousage

NoooooOOOooOo!!!! wait till your at least 17. I know way to many tripped out kids. You don't wanna be one of those people, trust me. They are really weird and they smell funny

dude if u do salvia right u will be mortified. i dunno wtf happy caps and that shit are but i started tripping about that age and im seriously mentally fucked up and addicted to heroin. so.... id say, try to enjoy life without the additional stimuli haha

Salvia divinorum is the gateway drug to heroin!

That's freaking aDORable!!!

I expect to see an ad campaign of the same flavor any time now.

^Salvia divinorum is the gateway drug to jenkem. Its like the same thing, only more terrifying.

gtxo said:
Well, I would like to see some open- and closed-eye visuals, so which drug can I use which wont fuck my brain up...

anyway, yes I know that these psychedelic drugs are not party drugs. :)

Dont use psychs for the visuals.... all in all the visuals are just the icing on the cake... Having the volume turned up on your emotions beyond anything you could imagine, having so much of an influx of information you think you have gone crazy, closing your eyes for what feels like days only to open them and see that 2 minutes has passed.... The mental aspect is more of what most psych users go for...

But the things i have seen and felt on LSD rank among the most beautiful and amazing experiences of my life...

You do seem more knowledgeable than most kids your age would be as far as treating them with respect and at least knowing they are not party drugs. You kind of remind me of myself at around that age... A strong fasination with drugs but not a user at all.... And then i got to about the age of 16 and started smoking weed, a few months later i dropped acid for the first time, mushrooms on Halloween near my 17th birthday... Ecstasy was later on probably about 4 months ago...

16 would probably be considered too young by most to drop acid, but it changed my life for the better and i have no regrets about it. For once i was happy with my life, amazing that a bit of paper can change the entire way you see your life and the world. I would say wait a few years, i am pretty certain that my mind would not have been able to handle it, hell my mind didn't handle it well when i was 16.... It shook me to the core, i hardly said anything for days, it knocked me down and took a while to rebuild... but im happier with who i am now...