• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Should I take antidepressant ?

Byzek

Bluelighter
So I guess im depressed since 9 years its not a strong depression its more mild, but it got worse 3 years ago and in march when lockdown came it got even more worse. im 27 years now and time flies and I hadnt a relationship or good sex although im good looking but i have issues with self esteem thats why im going to gym reguarly, anyway.
and i have issues with motivation and lil bit with sleep and energy overall. motivation is the main thing and loss if interest, all i have is gym and blabla i lost interest in my study.
im very lazy, lockdown killed all the rest of my motivation.

whateveeer i started taking 5htp it helped me lil bit but to realizie things like the ones which i write down here. i guess now the effect its gone, at least the euphoria.
so i went to my doc and wanted antiderpessant she described me escitalopram, i took one tab with 10mg and i felt really really depressed, empty, i felt like i wanted to end this feeling and had lil bit self harm thouhts so i stopped.

I guess thats how people feel when they are in deep state of depression.
i know it takes maybe 3 weeks until it kicks in but im really really afraid of it.
i just want a normal life, like a normal job, friend and relationship.

its like i can have all these things easily but i dont have any motivation and energy to get this, the problem is i literally laying around the past few years and dont care about anything. i have short time periods in which im motivated, than i get thinsg done and then the motivation is gone.

especially i broke up with all my friends now im kinda allone, i guess thats the main thing of depression u become egoistic and dont care about other people.
its not like mimimimimi im so sad i have no friends no the thing is i dont care about that but thats the problem i want to care about other people, i dont wanna be so self centered.

Now i have this package full of antidepressants in my shelter and im really afraid of the side effects.
dont know what to do but i wanna do something.

At least you are on bluelight. Depression is a challenge for me to. Some feel like that from birth, i cried when i heard that song from Ren about Depression.

Medically advise is unadviseable. I am just a random guy. Like you i got offered SSRI´ s which i gladly never took.

But you do need help when one is down. Be it a telephone contact you can call anytime. Hope you have such a person in your live.

Meds are nice but like you mentioned SSRI's even on paper don't work. There are side effects for a lot of the others, not even mentioning addiction. For thin people with sleeping problems Mirtazepine is good.

But doing, how little, positive things helps. So make that a goal. Posting here was one Byzek.

Hi.

It's great that you posted about this and asked for some input from those who actually have experience with these things.

I'm afraid my answer is going to be a little different from that of @emkee_reinvented but his experiences may be different from mine.

In short: I believe that depression is hard wired in some people (I'm one of them). Doesn't have to be major or manic depression i.e. maybe just slight depression. But it's in the genes so far as I'm concerned and it may only manifest itself when triggered by an event (and this fucking COVID-19 thing is just such an event i.e. the mental health of millions has deteriorated over the last few months and I don't believe enough study and attention is being paid to this).

You sound the healthy, fit, and happy type. And I'm glad for you. But if it becomes worse: go to a GOOD doctor and get an antidepressant that works or "agrees" with you. And once you do and if it helps: be prepared to stay on it for life. I've been off and on Prozac a few times in my years and I believe that's been a mistake i.e. from the first time it was decided that I was the depressive type I should have stayed on them and not just stopped taking them when things were feeling better. Reason being: once you stop the old demons return. And in some cases they're even worse. It's not a death sentence. Antidepressants (well Prozac anyway) doesn't give you a rush or a high of anything like that. It's a funny thing, You don't even know you're taking it until you've stopped taking it. I hope that makes sense.

As you've already noted (and which is true): most all antidepressants warn that in the first week or two suicide ideation is a possible side effect and should be monitored. Most Doctors will prescribe about a week's worth of a benzo. to counteract this and help you sleep for the first week or so. But word of advice: make those the first and the last benzos. that you take i.e. never get a repeat prescription of them with your antidepressants as that can lead to disaster (ask me and many others around here how we know! Lol!).

Honestly and in my opinion. Nothing wrong with antidepressants. But important to find one that's right for you. Some idiot (in spite of my resisting vehemently) decided to put me on Wellbutrin for a time. That didn't go well for me I'll tell you. Went back onto Prozac and life was wonderful again (until I stopped taking them again of course) (and now taking them again).

Anyway. That's my experience and my advice based on such experience. I know it's not medical advice. But I'm sticking with what I know and have experienced first hand! Lol!

All of the above aside though: this COVID-19 issue and these lockdowns and the havoc that they have caused have caused untold misery for millions and it's going to take years for many to recover (if they ever do). Point is: you certainly are not alone in all of this. I know that doesn't help or change your situation. But at least know it.
Well to know that many many people got crazy furing this time makes me feel better.
I bet there are tons of people who have desinfection and mask psychosis and dream about coronazombies ....
Anyway... i have a really really good antidepressant and it is called 5htp.
Im taking it in the third week and the effects are getting weaker and weaker ...
From a medical point of view i cant take it for a longer period of time but at least it helped me realized things better.

I'd say don't rush into antidepressants - try the nutrition / exercise / lifestyle change route first, and not half-heartedly either

Anti-d's definitely help some people but not the majority - they also completely fuck up many people's lives and that's an absolute fact

Should only be tried as a last resort

My main problem is my laziness. I dont work i never worked in my life. Im 27.
All i can do is spending other peoples money.
My whole life my parents put me eberything ik my ass thats why im so lazy 😅
I feel like im studying all my life till death lol
Oh my goshh

Well let me put it another way:

So if this is just a temporary thing and you need some mates to chat with or discuss how you're feeling just to give you that bit of boost on your down days: well you've come to the right place that's for sure. And you can chat about anything so far as I can
I think ineed a job. I think i have to be responsiblw foe my life and have to get to know what it feels working for money

People have wildly different experiences with antidepressants. My experience after many decades is that I'm the type of person who cannot function without them, my physical health and my cognitive function will start deteriorating if I don't take them. I have a wife and kids and a professional career so I can't afford not to. Actually, I wouldn't be married, have kids, or a career if I didn't take them. I literally function on a very basic level without medication, its a major struggle just to form a simple thought, or make a simple decision, or eat, or exercise, or sleep.

For me some of my biggest problem with antidepressants was resistance and denial. I resisted taking them for years, and even when I finally agreed to take them, my goal was to recover and get off them. Its taken a few decades for me to come to accept that its not going to go away, and that I'll never be (in my mind) a 'normal' person.

Anyway.

It could just be Covid malaise and isolation, but you mentioned issues with work and being responsible, becoming independent and all that, so that makes me think maybe keep looking at depression treatments if your depression is preventing you from building the life you want as an adult.

People have wildly different experiences with antidepressants. My experience after many decades is that I'm the type of person who cannot function without them, my physical health and my cognitive function will start deteriorating if I don't take them. I have a wife and kids and a professional career so I can't afford not to. Actually, I wouldn't be married, have kids, or a career if I didn't take them. I literally function on a very basic level without medication, its a major struggle just to form a simple thought, or make a simple decision, or eat, or exercise, or sleep.

For me some of my biggest problem with antidepressants was resistance and denial. I resisted taking them for years, and even when I finally agreed to take them, my goal was to recover and get off them. Its taken a few decades for me to come to accept that its not going to go away, and that I'll never be (in my mind) a 'normal' person.

Anyway.

It could just be Covid malaise and isolation, but you mentioned issues with work and being responsible, becoming independent and all that, so that makes me think maybe keep looking at depression treatments if your depression is preventing you from building the life you want as an adult.
Depression treatments in which sense? Therapy? Medication ?

Psychotherapy is good, there's different kinds like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) or talk therapy, counseling type therapy. You can do that without medication. It may be you don't need medication, or maybe therapy will help provide support if you do start on antidepressants.

I really don't know much about medication, SSRI, SNRI, dopamine reuptake inhibitors, some that work on different neurotransmitters at the same time, etc. Usually I hear people try medications until they find one their comfortable with. I've never had a problem because I've responded almost immediately to any SSRI I ever took (Prozac, Zoloft, now Cymbalta 60mg a day).

@Byzek You'll be surprised how much of a boost to your overall self esteem/outlook on life, getting a job and making your own money will give you. Sounds like you know that though. I suffer from the same sort of underlying 'background' depression that you described. In many ways it's just as bad as acute depression because it stays just low enough under your radar that complacency sets in and it doesn't get treated. But it's always there.

Sounds like you shook that off, got up and took the first step though, which is comendable.

The side effect you mentioned after one dose should be mentioned to your doctor.
I can't say it's completely normal, because my experience with Lexapro lasted a month or two and i experienced zero effect, good or bad. (I'm on Zoloft now which was a Godsend) But the first few weeks on any SSRI are reportedly bumpy for A LOT of people, before waking up one day and they suddenly feel great. It's just your body adjusting.

Like i said, keep your doctor informed about EVERYTHING you're feeling and don't quit the Lexapro without telling him/her first. Sometimes you just gotta ride out the storm.

Last edited:
Hi @Byzek, I just wanted to add to the good advice already in this thread. I've been on medication and in some form of psychiatric care since I was 13 (I'm now 34) and something important to remember is: there are many different types of antidepressants. These days, most doctors start by prescribing a class of drug called an SSRI (a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) because they have relatively few side effects. But there are also drugs called TCAs (Tri-Cyclic Antidepressants) which have been around for longer than SSRIs. In addition, there are various "atypical" antidepressants (I'm currently on one called Brintellix) that work in different ways on the brain.

For me personally, SSRIs have never worked. Unfortunately, it took me several years to find a doctor who knew/cared enough to trial me on tri-cyclics, which were much more effective.

Reading this thread, my advice to you is to try to make some changes in your life, such as seeking employment and beginning a solid exercise regime. But if those things don't seem to be helping, I encourage you to explore medication more thoroughly.