• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Should I stay I should I go?

captaincaveman

Bluelighter
Hey peeps,

The magazine I work for has brought a notorious troubleshooter to take charge. Problem is, he's not a people person and three people have resigned since he took charge. Our biggest rival wants me to jump ship to them but the thing is he likes me (unfortuntately quite similar people) and despite a very public following out in 2007 he's trying his hardest to get me to stay on board (promoted me, given me free reign, all sorts). But he has also made my colleagues life a nightmare, hence the mass exodus. These were people under my care but he rides roughshod over my compliants and if you don't cut it, you're gone (or specifcially he makes life unbearable so you have to leave)
Now while I feel that my co-workers are my comrades (and believe me I'm no commie) should I ignore the opportunity he has afforded me to keep in with my troops? I'm a very senior member of staff and part of the execuive board now so could raise my concerns with the owner (who might not be receptive after he found out that I had a fling, well a little more than that, with his daugher).
Have to tread carefully, he's an arse but is the most highly rated journo in the business. I like his methods tbh, you aren't cutting it so goodbye but he recently caused someone under my guidance to have a breakdown. Miriam is in pieces and while I'm counseling her and gettting her freelance work I'm wondering is it right?
He likes me, we share a ruthless streak for those people who think they can write (and byjesus they number the thousands) but his methods are appalling. Reduces people (buys and girls) to emotional wrecks and I fear something bad could happen. But such is life, I rurned such a life a down with training contracts while a lawyer (not with ths elite but silver Circle)
At the moment I'm Darth Vader to his emperor and its getting me down. Financially, he'll sign off to whatever I want (including a trip to the Bahamas with the lovely Gerry but to what cost?)
I look after and try to develop talent, he rights people off straight away but he is a master of the dark arts

Thanking you

Last edited:
I think you should stay where you are. You boss clearly rates you and if others are not up to his standard then he is entitled to use whatever means are at his disposal to trim the fat as it were.

There's no room for compassion and feelings and the very top.

If all you are concerned with is the monetary wealth and privileges that can be gained by attaching yourself to a poisonous person, then by all means go for it. What is the name of the guy who follows Mr. Burns around on The Simpsons?

Joking aside, if I were in your position I would weigh my options. Sure sucking on the teat of a power can be rewarding, but I don't know if I'd be able to live with myself.

I once walked away from a sales job where I was on track to make six figures my second year there. I believed in the product but I didn't believe in the sales methods the company pushed on their reps. So I said fuck it and went to grad school.

I'm not saying you have to listen to a word I say. I'm just saying that I would think it through a little more. Too many people today only want the instant gratification of satisfying themselves for a short time without thinking about the long-term consequences.

I don't understand why people feel the need to "back up their homies" and "stick together". It's a job. Your career. Your money. Your livelihood. It's not a friend clubhouse. You're given this crazy amazing opportunity and you're thinking of leaving because he's mean to your co-workers? Maybe they just aren't cutting it and you should tell them to work HARDER. Boo-hoo life sucks. They have a job. You have a job. This boss isn't even mean to you. I don't understand your logic. If your friends don't like him, they can quit. What are YOU going to GAIN by quitting? What are your little friends going to gain? NOTHING.

Don't go to the owner. Such a dick move, seriously. The owner hired him for a reason. You're just going to look shady. I mean, maybe you have something if he was harassing you or something but to tell the owners that he's being mean to your co-workers? That's their problem. Not yours. Worry about your job and let them worry about theirs. They can quit if he's such an asshole. Life's tough. What do you expect?

Wow,

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I made a huge mistake though. I went into see our rival for an 'informal chat'. They wanted me to write up a story I broke two weeks ago 'to show us your writing skills'. What they wanted to know was how I got the info and like a total idiot I told them. Now the editor-in-chief of this mag has a long running feud with my boss and I told them about what has been going on. This might have been careeer suicide as if it gets out I've blabbed to the enemy, I'm gone!

But as for worrying about my co-workers, yeah pretty_diamonds I get your point. Problem is that if he starts focusing his attacks on me I want to make sure I've got somewhere to go (as we all know, it's much easier to get a job if you're in one already). But those mofos played me like a sucker. The job that they were offering (replacing a guy I've known for ages) is probably just bullshit to tap me up for inside info. If it gets out I'm finished, all I was looking for was an exit strategy if it gets nasty at my current job. I think I'll be ok, as I said that if I see what I wrote for you in your magazine, I'll be very upset and they promised not to do that (also I'm not a total idiot and didn't reveal my best source).

As for going to the owner, I'd only do that if he turns his attention on me (but as said the owner probably didn't appreciate the attention I gave his daughter last year so probably not the best idea!).

So once again thanks. And Jerry I know what you mean. Not sure my soul can take much more shady activity but in this world you've got to play the game.

Danke,

CC

would the position at the other magazine be an upgrade? like Pretty_Diamonds said, it doesn't make sense to leave just because the boss had conflicts with other people, but it does sound like there's a good chance he'll eventually turn his wrath on you as well. however, if you're going to leave, check out other options in your industry as well - if you've recently gotten a promotion and a raise, that should be a big help.

can you bring in like minded people that will thrive under his leadership?

Wow,

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I made a huge mistake though. I went into see our rival for an 'informal chat'. They wanted me to write up a story I broke two weeks ago 'to show us your writing skills'. What they wanted to know was how I got the info and like a total idiot I told them. Now the editor-in-chief of this mag has a long running feud with my boss and I told them about what has been going on. This might have been careeer suicide as if it gets out I've blabbed to the enemy, I'm gone!

But as for worrying about my co-workers, yeah pretty_diamonds I get your point. Problem is that if he starts focusing his attacks on me I want to make sure I've got somewhere to go (as we all know, it's much easier to get a job if you're in one already). But those mofos played me like a sucker. The job that they were offering (replacing a guy I've known for ages) is probably just bullshit to tap me up for inside info. If it gets out I'm finished, all I was looking for was an exit strategy if it gets nasty at my current job. I think I'll be ok, as I said that if I see what I wrote for you in your magazine, I'll be very upset and they promised not to do that (also I'm not a total idiot and didn't reveal my best source).

As for going to the owner, I'd only do that if he turns his attention on me (but as said the owner probably didn't appreciate the attention I gave his daughter last year so probably not the best idea!).

So once again thanks. And Jerry I know what you mean. Not sure my soul can take much more shady activity but in this world you've got to play the game.

Danke,

CC

If he starts focusing on you and you can't handle it, then start looking for other places. Why are you expecting the worse to happen? You have a good relationship with him.. keep it that way. He's going to turn on you if you start running around talking shit about him and looking for other places of employment. Stay on your A game. Kiss his ass. Get what you can. When all hell explodes look for the escape route. Stop worrying. Stop thinking the worse and enjoy what you have. Have a little gratitude.

^Believe me, I do have gratitude for having a good job as the economy continues its downward spiral (triple dip!?!?!). But as predicted he's already screamed at me in front of co-workers and the most recent escapee only left last Friday. I think what he wants to do is get rid of the old guard and replace them with his guys/gals. And yes I do have people I want to bring in, one's an associate editor of a famous mag in the UK but my boss dismissed him straight off.

So unfortunately I really have to find another title. But if this behaviour continues, I'll go for constructive dismissal as if someone is making it so shitty to work with them you have to resign, that's against the law. I've got plenty of fellow claimants, we could go for a class action! If you think that you spend most of your day at work, then it has to be somewhere tolerable. And yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of people in even worse situations but I'm not in the army so don't expect to be 'beasted' at work.

He's a pyscho, I mean an actual pyscho. One girl before she left said that someone she was interviewing asked if he'd made her cry yet. Everyone knows what he's like. Problem is, he's a fantastic writer and could more or less do it all himself. I've had it, time to dust off my CV.