• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Should I go to the doctor ASAP or wait?

TSLexi I think you're on to a good idea, in theory at least anyway. Now you just need to figure out some way to implement it and use your knowledge to help people. Not trying to get too far off topic but as a side note I used to be married to an older woman myself who was 42 while I was 24 and she had three daughters so I know what it's like to take on responsibilities like that and it takes a tall measure of a man to do it so props to you brother. Now, onto the teaching laymen how to initiate catheters... Ehhhhh..I would have to say most definitely not, hell they're hard enough to do when you're a paramedic or nurse in a favorable environment let alone. Also catheters require extreme diligence to ensure they do not become infected or form clots. Think about it, it's hard enough to get some people to follow simple HR such as using alcohol swabs, imagine if they had a constant opening into their body with no way of properly keeping it sanitized, eek. Maybe a small pocket sized guide to vein anatomy would be a better fit in the scenario you're talking about. Just my .02 :)

Yeah, catheters are hard; Mom knows how to do them, but I don't.

Keep it sanitized by capping it while not in use, flush it with heparin to prevent clots from forming, etc.

If you're too lazy to wipe the skin with antiseptic, you shouldn't be IVing.

Sadly, the only needle exchange in the state is two hours away, and I have zero reason to go there.

Why don't needle exchanges give out proper mL graduated Luer-lock syringes and 30G 0.5" needles? They're easier to use, and more convenient.

I fucking detest insulin syringes for anything but their intended purpose. And insulin really needs to be dosed like EVERY SINGLE OTHER DRUG.

Also, I know I've been entering my veins almost every time because I flag, but I still have these nasty, although painless bruises all over my antecubital fossa. Sometimes I skin-pop, but most of the time I try to mainline.

Is it because I'm not keeping pressure on the injection site post-injection?

More than likely yes, light and steady pressure for about a minute or two after injection will stop most of the subcutaneous hemorrhaging from occurring and give it time to start clotting and drastically reduce the bruising/marking. As for your comment on the exchanges, most of them are low budget and just take and give what they can unfortunately. Hell, my state doesn't even have any exchanges. The thing about injecting is that it really all just boils down to proper and clean technique when it comes to IV usage, you don't have to be a nurse to master it, just diligent and patient. For that matter, I've had plenty of nurses that I've had to take the needle/cath from and run it myself!

More than likely yes, light and steady pressure for about a minute or two after injection will stop most of the subcutaneous hemorrhaging from occurring and give it time to start clotting and drastically reduce the bruising/marking. As for your comment on the exchanges, most of them are low budget and just take and give what they can unfortunately. Hell, my state doesn't even have any exchanges. The thing about injecting is that it really all just boils down to proper and clean technique when it comes to IV usage, you don't have to be a nurse to master it, just diligent and patient. For that matter, I've had plenty of nurses that I've had to take the needle/cath from and run it myself!

If an IV drug user can afford drugs, they can afford the $13 it costs to order 50x 1 mL TB syringes and 0.5" 30G Luer-lock needles...

What's your DoC? Mine's diacetylmorphine.

Well now you've also got to keep in mind that you would need a reliable mailing address in order to order works like you're talking about and some states just flat out refuse to sell them OTC no matter if there's not a law against it or not. But yes, I do agree that maintaining good clean sterile equipment is just part of it, you don't see someone show up to play baseball with no glove lol, just part of the game and yes they are relatively cheap.

And my DOC is and always has been good ole Oxycodone, by way of IV. No matter how many folks bash the IV route of oxy I still love the onset, especially that taste in the back of your throat :) ahhhh crap... You've got me craving it at work now lol

Well now you've also got to keep in mind that you would need a reliable mailing address in order to order works like you're talking about and some states just flat out refuse to sell them OTC no matter if there's not a law against it or not. But yes, I do agree that maintaining good clean sterile equipment is just part of it, you don't see someone show up to play baseball with no glove lol, just part of the game and yes they are relatively cheap.

And my DOC is and always has been good ole Oxycodone, by way of IV. No matter how many folks bash the IV route of oxy I still love the onset, especially that taste in the back of your throat :) ahhhh crap... You've got me craving it at work now lol

Lol. I have a PO Box, because our physical address is undeliverable (lazy USPS), and this medical supply company site I order from will ship the rigs anywhere in the country.

Oxycodone makes me way more itchy than diacetylmorphine.