• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Shortness of breath, oxy and alcohol

Volcanoeslobby

Greenlighter
I take about 25-30mg oxy per day. Sometimes swallowing sometimes snorting. I also drink a bottle of wine each night. Lately I’ve been noticing spells during the day where I feel like Im going to faint. It happens at night sometimes too. It feels as if my breathing stops. Im also noticing shortness of breath on an ongoing basis the last 3 days. Anyone ever experience this?

Tia

Last edited:
Combining CNS depressants, in your case opiates and alcohol, may be causing low blood pressure which can explain the lightheadedness. Unless you actually measure you're blood pressure though, it's difficult to say. Respiratory depression is a common result when CNS depressants synergize. 1+1=3 when combining CNS depressants.

I have this problem because of lung surgery (long story). I take opioids and benzos everyday but I don't drink. Still, it's about the same thing you are doing, which is combining two CNS depressants.

If you can buy an oximeter that would be the best way to see how much oxygen is in your blood. I use mine several times a day to see if I need to use an inhaler or nebulizer. If you are feeling short of breath that is the best way to test it.

The best way to increase oxygen into your system is to take slow, deep breaths through your nose and out your mouth. I can increase my oxygen by several points just by doing that. Whenever I'm struggling I just repeat "In through the nose...." lol because I heard that all day long when I was in the hospital.

If you believe this is serious then definitely go to a doctor or walk in clinic. You don't want to wake up on the floor with a bruise on the back of your head from fainting. Ask me how I know. Shortness of breath is an indicator of something wrong. It might be as simple as Spring allergies or as serious as bronchitis.

I have this problem because of lung surgery (long story). I take opioids and benzos everyday but I don't drink. Still, it's about the same thing you are doing, which is combining two CNS depressants.

If you can buy an oximeter that would be the best way to see how much oxygen is in your blood. I use mine several times a day to see if I need to use an inhaler or nebulizer. If you are feeling short of breath that is the best way to test it.

The best way to increase oxygen into your system is to take slow, deep breaths through your nose and out your mouth. I can increase my oxygen by several points just by doing that. Whenever I'm struggling I just repeat "In through the nose...." lol because I heard that all day long when I was in the hospital.

If you believe this is serious then definitely go to a doctor or walk in clinic. You don't want to wake up on the floor with a bruise on the back of your head from fainting. Ask me how I know. Shortness of breath is an indicator of something wrong. It might be as simple as Spring allergies or as serious as bronchitis.

thanks for the info. Should I not take oxy then? Lay dose was 20 hours ago last drink was 13 hours ago why am I still feeling it? Is it a toxicity issue?

I'm not a doctor so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt. No, I can't see how shortness of breath would be a toxicity problem. Your oxy dose is too low to cause toxicity problems. If you are abusing alcohol it wouldn't show up as shortness of breath. It's more likely an infection, an allergy or something else going on with your lungs. I feel faint occasionally and usually lean on a couch or counter with my head down until the feeling goes away. Sit down or lean against something if you feel faint.

If this persists then go to a doctor. It could be something easily fixed. This time of year when the humidity is high and pollen covers everything many people have this same problem. I've had to use inhalers this time of year for the last 20 years, way before I had lung surgery. I don't think that shortness of breath would be caused by low doses of oxy and wine at night. I think it's caused by something else.

Again, I'm not a doctor and I'm not even certified to give advice lol. But I've gone through what you are feeling many many times. I believe going to a doctor and getting an inhaler would fix your problem, and he'll check your lungs to make sure you don't have bronchitis or another lung problem.