• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Severe Stomach Pain from Adderall IR?

Tyler Bro

Greenlighter
Hi, I am Tyler and I am 20 years old. I have been taking adderall for roughly 2 years now, started at 10mg daily, went up to 15, 20, now I'm at 30 daily which isn't too bad for over 2 years taking the drug I guess.

But anyway, I have had stomach problems way before the adderall use, I am lactose intolerant, any caffeine will hurt my stomach, anything spicy, dark soda... etc... but just about a couple months ago, my stomach has been hurting really really bad. Like my abdominal pain will get really tight. I went to the ER in the past about 4 months ago ~ and they couldn't find anything wrong so they referred me to a stomach doctor. When I went there, he told me I had IBS-C and that I shouldn't avoid what I eat and just eat normally so that basically my stomach will hurt randomly and there's nothing I can do. He prescribed me stomach pills which actually helped with the pain, it just went away but after using Dicyclomine and Omeprazole, the pain started to come back again. (took like a month or two for them to stop working). So now when I take Omeprazole or Dicyclomine, the pain is worse so I stopped taking these two. I also got prescribed Nexium but this makes me have a lot of constipation so I stopped taking it. So now I don't take any of my stomach pills, I am in severe pain all the time. I tried eating a lot before taking adderall and the pain is still there. I tried drinking a lot but pain still persists. I even have days where I don't take adderall but my stomach will still hurt regardless. (prob from adderall use, not sure though)

I don't feel like going to the stomach doctor again since it will be another $1000 dollars. I don't understand why I am in so much pain, I am only 20 years old which isn't even that old! and I already have so many problems. It makes me very depressed and frustrated because my health is bad and it literally feels like my life is falling apart since I am in so much pain and I don't feel like doing anything and just want to die sometimes just from the pain alone, putting all mental issues a side.

I also went to my doctor multiple times and just thinks I'm fine. -.- So he decided for me to take a blood test, this is his reply after I did the blood test.

"I got your message on Friday about the pain and actually sent in a medicine to the pharmacy. Sorry that the message wasn't passed along to you. Should be at the pharmacy waiting. We don't check email messages on the weekends so couldn't get back to you until today. Your labs came back and look normal. No sign of infection, blood loss or other issues. This worries me somewhat for an ulcer and I would like you to make a follow-up appointment with a GI doctor. Give us a call if you need recommendations"

Keep in mind I went to the GI doctor like a month or two prior to this visit and no ulcer, nothing was found.

So I am kind of skeptical to believe that an ulcer would just pop up in less then 2 months out of thin air, I could be wrong though. I have cut all caffeine from my diet but the pain is still here, it doesn't matter if I have caffeine or not, even when I stop taking adderall I have it, it's just less severe. So this worries me.

I am very confused and tired of being in this pain for no reason, it devalues life a shit ton and it's not worth living the way I am living atm.

If anyone has any questions on what I should do, feel free to ask because I am at the end of my rope and I am willing to do anything at this point because I cannot work atm with all this pain, I can barely get out of bed, I always feel like shit. :/

- tyler bro

Tyler Bro,

I've recently experienced unrelentless, intermittent stomach pain from Bupropion XL, 300mg Activis formulation and NOBODY would believe me (similar to your doc situation). Ulcer was a word that would pop up from my friends here and there, but it seemed doubtful.

Can you tell me the imprints on the pills that cause the pain? This would help me isolate the inactives and compare it to what I thought I was reacting to.

Best of luck

Tyler Bro,

I've recently experienced unrelentless, intermittent stomach pain from Bupropion XL, 300mg Activis formulation and NOBODY would believe me (similar to your doc situation). Ulcer was a word that would pop up from my friends here and there, but it seemed doubtful.

Can you tell me the imprints on the pills that cause the pain? This would help me isolate the inactives and compare it to what I thought I was reacting to.

Best of luck

well omneprazole says omneprazole on it.

my dicyclomine says MD6 and its light blue

Do you still get stomach pain on the days that you don't take Adderall? It is not uncommon to have GI issues when taking stimulants. Maybe you could try lowering your dosage and see if that helps. Other than that, your doctor may have to run more tests to get a definitive answer.

Yeah I can still feel the gut pain when not taking adderall but it's just less noticeable but it's still there. It's like I'm sucking in my gut type feeling and it's extremely uncomfortable.

Still no pain relief yet, I'm starting to feel hopeless at this point.

The next step is probably a gastroscopy or a barium x-ray. Mention them to your doctor.

Have you tried taking tums/antacids ?

This happens to me also.. I've been taking adderall IR 30mg 2 times daily for 5 years or so.. The pain has just recently started.. Or I just started noticing it. I think it is just trapped gas and you shouldn't worry too much.. The more you think about it the worse it gets.. Anxiety and worry seem to aggregate it. Also when you take adderall it makes you focus, and over focusing on your body is not a good thing because you will start to obsess over little things. I will still get the pain if I take a day off as well. Have you tried taking 1 to 2 weeks off? Usually in a few days to a week my pain subsides. Try to totally relax your body and lay on your stomach to try to release some trapped gas! Drink lots of water and don't worry! I hope this helps you!

You might have ulcerative colitis it crones disease.... Talk to GI Dr about that!

I used to experience stomach problems like that when I used amphetamines.
The script mentioned it could have caused ulcers.

I just started taking Adderall three days ago. I was given 10mg pills. My doctor said to start by breaking the pills in half and only take 5mg two times a day. I did this for 2 days. Today, on the 3rd day, I started taking the whole 10mg pill. Since I started taking the Adderall, I have been having stomach aches and can't stay out of the bathroom. Seriously, I am in the bathroom OVER 10 times a day. I know that I just started taking the medication, but can you imagine having a bowel movement over 10 times a day?!?!? It's terrible! I take Pepto Bismol to help with the stomach ache and the constant need to use the bathroom. It seems to help, but not only till hours later. The only reason I am dealing with it is because the Adderall most definitely does work, in reference to being focused and being motivated to do things. I just don't know if the stomach issues are worth taking the Adderall and it being incredibly helpful to my mental health. Will these stomach problems go away after my body adjusts to the medicine??? Or is this going to be a permanent thing that I am going to have to deal with? Thank you to anyone that replies! I appreciate it!!! :)