• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Severe Anxiety, I don't want any Benzo's, are there any new meds that might help?

Don't take the advice of whoever suggested Phenibut. You'd honestly be better off with a benzo script than a Phenibut dependency

I have tried phenibut before but it made me feel very light headed or like my blood pressure was very low.

Anti-psychotics are serious medications but you could consider talking to your doctor about something like Risperidone, especially at a low dose. Personally I think they can really help with racing thoughts and insomnia, and once you start sleeping better your physical health can improve as well.

Yes I am willing to give it a try, I was wondering if there are any new antidepressants that also help social anxiety and generalized anxiety racing thoughts none stop Insomnia too..again thanks guys I hope this thread blows up and helps others who are in my situation where I am clean and want to remain clean but I have anxiety so badly some days its hard for me to sit down for 5 min because i am so anxious....Take care Happy Holidays!

I would try trazadone or mitrazapine first before trying any antipsychotics and perhap maybe seroquil or abilify because they are partial dopamine d2 agonists before dopamine antagonists like risperadone and I believe are fda approved to increase the efficacy of ssris when a full remission isnt achieved. I was given risperdone when the school thought I was gunna punch a wall. Or inpatient aggressive kids got it

I was diagnosed with severe social anxiety with agoraphobia and panic attacks and moderate depression. I am currently prescribed 300mg Gabapentin 3x/day for the anxiety and 10mg Lexapro 1x/day for both the depression and anxiety and have had good luck with both. I am also prescribed .5mg Lorazepam to take as needed for the anxiety. I take the Lexapro everyday as prescribed but only take the Gabapentin on the days where I'm going to be doing something that may cause anxiety or trigger a panic attack, (like being in a social setting for extended periods of time.) I have taken it in the past for a different reason and I discovered that it didn't take long for a tolerance to build when I take it as prescribed and it has been more effective than anything else I have tried to lessen the anxiety so I only take it when it's necessary to keep from rebuilding a tolerance.

I totally respect your decision to not want take a benzo regularly, but that Lorazepam has been a lifesaver for me when I'm in the middle of one of those "I think I would rather be dead" panic attacks on a handful of occasions.

I was initially put on the Lorazepam to help ease meth withdrawal symptoms. After my doctor told me that it was a potentially habit forming drug I wasn't all that wild about taking it as the last thing I wanted to do is acquire another addiction, but she sent the 14-day script to my pharmacy anyhow and told me I could decide whether or not to pick it up. A week or so later I had one of those "I'd rather be dead" panic attacks so I had my husband go pick up the prescription for me and when it started to work I wasn't thinking about it being potentially habit forming, I was just relieved that I wasn't dealing with that awful panic attack anymore. I was so worried that I would become dependent on them that I had my husband keep them for me to begin with. I was able to make that two-week supply last roughly three months and when I went back to see her she wrote me another 14-day script that has lasted almost three months thus far.

You should try a placebo. There is now evidence that placebo effect occurs even if you know it's a placebo.

@burnout Your PVT message box is full, I'm trying to get a hold of you :)

Buspar. I was on Xanax but after 3 suicide attempts with it they put me on Buspar. You can't abuse it. Don't know why they didn't put me on that in the first place.

Many atypical anti-psychotics can be quite calming. Over the years, I have been prescribed Seroquel , Zyprexa and Saphris. It is worth noting, that sometimes, medications of this class can have unpleasant side effects like weight gain and excessive sleeping. Additionally, after habituating to the medication, if you decide to discontinue treatment, a slow taper is advised. However, as your anxiety sounds to be causing you much suffering, it might be worth discussing a medication from this class with your doctor. I hope you feel better. Hang in there!

Last edited:
i know this is way late to be of any use to the OP, and is really more of a question. While beta-blockers (propanolol in particular) have been very helpful in dealing with situational "fight/flight" anxiety such as before a recital or lecture since (among other things) it cuts off the feedback mechanism of a racing heart, would it be helpful when one is in a situation that is basically globally stressful (racing mind, obsessive concerns)? A dosage that was too high was also easy to discern..since the "governor" that beta-blockers place on heart rate kept me from "running" at anything more than a lazy jog.

I take gabapentin and find it very useful, 900mg 3x/day.

I've heard reports of people having benzo like withdrawals but I can skip a day or two without great difficulty.

Many atypical anti-psychotics can be quite calming. Over the years, I have been prescribed Seroquel , Zyprexa and Saphris. It is worth noting, that sometimes, medications of this class can have unpleasant side effects like weight gain and excessive sleeping. Additionally, after habituating to the medication, if you decide to discontinue treatment, a slow taper is advised. However, as your anxiety sounds to be causing you much suffering, it might be worth discussing a medication from this class with your doctor. I hope you feel better. Hang in there!

You are better off with damn near anything other than antipsychotics unless you have a psychotic disorder. Weight gain, diabetes, hormone changes, sometimes sexual side effects (I've never had these bad with antipsychotics, SSRIs are the worst in this regard IMO)

Hey Guys!

Been away for a while taking care of my father (had a single lung transplant 7 years ago then last year he had a double lung transplant, back surgery 2rods 4 pins, dialysis edema congestive heart failure) and his doctors don't give a shit so I have to be a DR a nurse a aide take care of all his finances clean out laundry so I have no life. When I go places I am so so anxious it feels like my heart is going to jump out of my chest and mychest is going to rip in half....I am seeing a new DR. he is really cool will let me have whatever I want to an extent, so I told him about this anxiety and told him I didn't want benzo's he put me in zoloft. I have been on it 50mg a day for over 2 months now and I don't feel any different except maybe a little more grumpy and angry at things. My anxiety is so bad my face gets red and I start sweating, I can't sit still and relax, and at night so many crazy thoughts are going through my head that I can't sleep it takes me hours and hours and hours to get to sleep. I am also missing my l2-l4 the disintegrated from an infection I had in my spine and they had to do 4 surgeries to remove the infection i was on IV antibiotics for 24 weeks everyday .....they want to put rods and pins in but I have been putting it off because my dad needs me for everything, so with the anxiety my muscles in my back and chest get REALLY tight and that makes my back hurt so bad....I just want something that will help, there are things I avoid doing because I don't want to have to be in a social situation its bad....so does anyone know of any meds I could ask my Doctor about? please and thank you so much love you @burnout
I would ask your doctor about gabapentin and buspar. Buspar will help with the physical symptoms of anxiety. Phenibut also helps a lot of people. Some people swear by kava kava also (it's a tea). Or you can even look into low doses of kratom.
For sleep, I would ask him about trazodone or seroquel. Or try melatonin...
Good luck

Last edited:
Phenibut has all the same negatives as benzos. Kava I agree with, buspar didn't help but it's harmless to try (unless mixing with dxm or something.)

I'll also throw propanolol (beta blocker for physical anxiety symptoms) and vistaril (anxiolytic antihistamine) out there. I have a bottle of each of these PRN to go with the gabapentin.