Server Fund...

tigger

Bluelighter
I am writing on behalf of the New York City/Philadelphia Bluelight crew. My thought is this... If each of us were to contribute a mere $15(US) (or any other amount that we found affordable. Please note: this figure is based on an estimated 500 committed members.) we could easily collect enough money to purchase a server to host this page. I don't think that a lack of desire would hinder the follow through of this plan as much as the lack of centralized organization would create an insurrmountable block. I am offering my services (I am a network engineer based in Manhattan) and my time in the effort of achiving our mutual goals. However, I need direction in this matter... Please advise asap.
(Translation: I need my goddamn bloolite fix... HOW MUCH IS IT GONNA COST?!?!?!?!?!)
I love you guys...
------------------
PLUR
Tig
Binkies are way functional, they're kewl, and they're cute!
THEY ARE *NOT* LAME!!! grrrrr... = P

hell, I would chip in money for this...
My brother wrote the webmaster last night i think because i was throwing fits cuz bluelight was gone... he offered to put it on his server. I guess it has unlimited hits and all that but had a limit on the space.. does anyone know how much space this site takes? a'ight bye bye
------------------
MaD LoVin, Jessiy

Tigg - actaully a server isn't the main problem - I can give you one - right now !! the problem is the bandwith cost of hosting this site !! there is a lot of transactions going on here - definatlly money raising - i already promised $500 a year and not backing up !!!
Plur
------------------
SpecialK - If you thought thats a hole wait till you see my flat :)

K -
That'a a really good point... Does ne1 know what our monthy throughput is??? What about moving to site to a larger host, like the Go Network... Yeah, he ads are a bitch, but we could probably see some pretty kick ass performance... Supporting our own bandwith could easily cost $500 - $1000/mth (US$)... What do you guys think???
------------------
PLUR
Tig
Binkies are way functional, they're kewl, and they're cute!
THEY ARE *NOT* LAME!!! grrrrr... = P

I got no problems giveing up a dontation for this -- I have become addicted to this web site!! I check it in the morning, on my lunch break, and several times after I get home from work!! Let me know if there is a go ahead on the fund raising and Ill pitch in!!
PLUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jay

Just let me know where I need to send my money!!!!
smile.gif
I can't go without this site!
Jase & Skydancer,
Thank you so much for keeping BL going as long as you have. Its time we all took a little respondsibility for the site. I am not a computer wiz, but I know it takes money to run such a popular site. If you need anything, money, time, whatever let me know I'll be more than happy to do my share.
Thanks Again!
Christine
------------------
"Look at the world with open eyes and you will see the world. Look at the world through my eyes and you can only imagine."
X-RaverQueen :)

same here just let me know where to send my check!!!!!
i almost died when i saw that my blu had disappeared!!!

Hey!! Come on...Brittian..Center of free world...ZEUS..a server that salvaged bluelight from iminent catastrope...I will buy 4 T-Shirts(now) and probably 50 by April for $20.00 USD..with whatever picture ASHKE and HEDONISTIC ANGEL design for the shirt advertising Brittish ZEUS as a World Wide ISP provider and bluelight declaring world fucking wide freedom(and advertising Soulflys' party)in the name of love and peace powered by E and freedom of choice...Sumpin simple...ya know....shit ya...I'd buy a bunch and help make Zeus strong enough to throw those lightning bolts, and keep bluelight solvent......just watch Skydancer dosent require passes....hahahahaha.....Peace

If i was paid like a true doctor then I would support the whole site. but i can still donate abit to help out!
The Doc

I have my checkbook in one hand and a pen in the other.
just let me know where to send it!!!!!
------------------
;) -Peace, Love, and Ecstasy!!- :D

I am totally in... I've only been a member for a few days, but I am totally addicted... Network is the only way to go... I know that you might not like this idea, but have you considered advertising??? I know that Sattelite would jump at the idea, and Im sure that Caffiene would help out too... Do I see some kind of Bluelight discount in our futures??? I even had a Kewl Idea... I am a smalltime DJ, and I know it would be cool to have some kind of forum where I could exchange record titles, artists & tips with other DJ's... If you could work something out with Sattelite, there could be a board with that kind of capability plus direct links to purchase the records... Just an idea... In the mean time, just give me an address and an ammount, and my bank account is yours...
Peace Out,
smile.gif
K-Luv
smile.gif

------------------
"Oh God, do not remain quiet; Do not be silent and, Oh God do not be still. For, behold, Thine enemies make an uproar..." Psalm 83:1-2.

We are using somewhere between 25-30GB of bandwidth a month.. None of the cheap ($20-$150 a month) web providers will give you anywhere near this. Top wack is about 6GB.
We've tried unlimited bandwidth deals. The result is getting kicked off communitech.net and this nail we are on now, which is so fucked its untrue. - Note: Unlimited bandwidth normally means around 10GB a month.
I researched the costs earlier this month. To get a reasonably good dedicated server or equiv is going to cost somewhere between $350-$500 a month.
Accepting cheques is not really going to be practical. US $ cheques are awkward from my point of view, and I don't know how they work in NL. Our banks will charge us a very high percentage of US$ cheque in handling fees. - We also have the problem then of our banks getting a bit edgy as it would look like we are a business, introducing all sorts of new problems.
The better way would be via credit card. How many of you are happy with this? Transactions would be handled on a secure server by a known provider etc.
Any comments on any of this???
Jase.

Arrghh. I've written this post three times now but IE kept screwing it up.
I'll be brief..
[*] Bandwidth is around 25-30GB a month and growing fast.
[*]A suitable server/web account is going to cost around $300-$500 a month.
[*]I'm quite sure that there are NO accounts for less than this price are suitable - I've had a few suggestions from people but they all had bandwidth restrictions.
[*]Disk Space is about 300MB not really a biggie.
Current costs: are $399 a year for this account. $25 a month for communitech.net. Board Software costs $80 a year. So far I have paid these out of my own pocket.
Accepting cheques is not going to be practical. Firstly we are in UK/NL and accepting a US cheque has very high bank charges.
Only really acceptable way would be via credit card. Would you be happy with this? We would probably use one of the shareware etc. registration people to handle it for us. Meaning that we simply get a single cheque from them making it easier to handle.
I'll provide a contact number and address for myself to anyone who registers.
Any comments?????
Jase.

my credit card number is your charge me however - one time $500 every month $40 something ?? anyway that works for you - just hate to press 5 times refresh to see a page hehehe
smile.gif

I wish i could help with that - but I asked and they won't let me host another site on our band it is 10GB a month upgradablt to 40GB - but it's our company .. and they gave me starnge looks when i bought it up - I still am getting 2 UBM netify 5500 which are mine !! so if that help save some cost - they are your around april (if everything goes accordign to plan)
Plur
------------------
Just K - Hugz Drugz and a dozen Roses

Holy shit is this thing slow!!
Jase, I would be more than happy to send $$ via credit card, just as soon as Visa will give me the damn thing (which shouldn't be too much longer). I will be in contact with you as soon as I hear (or see) something from them to see how you want to handle it all. Naturally it wont be a hell of alot of money, but any is better than none.
Peace
------------------
-I didn't do it and I'm not payin half!
-Which way to the nearest DRUG store?

I've looked into it a bit. If we signed up with kagi.com. They could handle all transacions cheque and credit credit card, by web, e-mail, fax and telephone.
Jase,

For the incredible amount of entertainment and support Bluelight offers me throughout my work day, the least I can do is donate a little of each pay check!!
XOXO
------------------
Have fun and be careful!
Meg

go for the credit card thing...good idea, I would be more than happy to pay up

just tell me where to send it, and what i have is yours
------------------
There is no end to the adventures we can have if we seek
them with our eyes wide open