• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Sertraline + pregabalin

opiofr3k

Bluelighter
Hello, from today i start my therapy on sertraline first 7 days 25mg and then 50mg. I’ve been prescripted because of my old ptsd that wasn’t treated well and I have emotional rollercoaster, insomnia and anxiety from time to time. I’m atm on 300mg pregabalin one dose at morning for like nearly 2 months, should I start tapering now or wait first for sertraline to load in to avoid as much first side effects? I’m worried they will escalate if I will drop pregabalin now. Thanks for help!

She wants me to quit and i want too but didnt get answer if to taper now or wait a bit. We all know that sometimes doctors want you to do some things quicker no matter what so just extra question if someone had that experience. She didn’t want to give me any sleeping aid which is biggest problem for me so I guess her opinion would be dropped straight away. I know that people were using pregabalin to survive that first period of taking SSRI. Just maybe it’s not a bad idea to start tapering after a week, not now. My pregabalin was not prescribed, I was helping my situation by myself. That’s why she didn’t want to talk about it too much tbf

Ooosh. That indeed makes things difficult. When a doctor prescribes something, they want total control over what you are taking. They are god, you know. ;)
You are essentially taking an illegal drug to her.

Now, the problem is going to be that, initially SSRI's can be a little rocky. A Pregabalin taper will exacerbate that. Yet, you also don't want to prolong things.

If it was me, I'd taper a good chunk quickly and then slowly finish the taper. Say, going down to 100mg over a week or so and then taking your time tapering the rest. That's just me and I'm not saying that's right.

Then, I would be very aware that any difficult moods or mental effects for a couple weeks are just the drugs and that they will pass.

Thanks for advice! Sounds reasonable. I never had problems with quick taper to 100-150mg per day and day after slow 25mg every few days and zero withdrawals. And I was taking 600mg per day for 6 months. But my GABA is prolly in worse condition than before so I think I will start reducing from tomorrow by 50mg a day and when I reach 100mg I’ll do it much slower. But if someone have any other ideas please don’t be shy :) I’ll consider any option

Edit: ahh I forgot to mention, I don’t want to drop it quick cause I want to go to work like always, no sick notes. I live alone, I’m single, job helps me to carry on.

Thanks for advice! Sounds reasonable. I never had problems with quick taper to 100-150mg per day and day after slow 25mg every few days and zero withdrawals. And I was taking 600mg per day for 6 months. But my GABA is prolly in worse condition than before so I think I will start reducing from tomorrow by 50mg a day and when I reach 100mg I’ll do it much slower. But if someone have any other ideas please don’t be shy :) I’ll consider any option

Edit: ahh I forgot to mention, I don’t want to drop it quick cause I want to go to work like always, no sick notes. I live alone, I’m single, job helps me to carry on.
Ooosh again. I didn't know that you had previous Pregabalin "experience". So now I'm wondering about kindling.

Yeah I had, but it was prescribed in Poland from my doc, no abusing. My Health overall is in great condition, no liver or kindley problems.

Edit: and my experience is not big in preg. Only one time I was on for 6 months, never abused, never took higher single dosage than 300mg (one time and only one 450mg) so I’m not seeking for recreation in preg. Just wanted to function in this fuck up world. Dropped almost all my drug habits. Weed is still in my menu

Just wanted to chime in here and say that I’m taking 300 mg pregabalin as well (that I’m not prescribed, I buy it off of a friend.) I take it exactly as prescribed, one 300 mg pill every night. I am not prescribed anything for my fibromyalgia and I know that my gabapentin script would go away if I asked for pregabalin cuz doctors don’t like you to take both at once (which is stupid, there are definitely situations where it is warranted, and there are studies out there that back me up.) I basically use pregabalin to treat my fibro and I’ll take one 800 mg gabapentin in the afternoon if I feel like I need it. So I’ve built up a supply of them and that’s another reason for me to get my script illegally, I always want to be prepared for anything, so having extras is nice (never know when civilization will burn down and you won’t be able to get to the pharmacy 🤪 only half-serious here, but the supply chain stuff when Covid happened made me more paranoid)

Hello, from today i start my therapy on sertraline first 7 days 25mg and then 50mg. I’ve been prescripted because of my old ptsd that wasn’t treated well and I have emotional rollercoaster, insomnia and anxiety from time to time. I’m atm on 300mg pregabalin one dose at morning for like nearly 2 months, should I start tapering now or wait first for sertraline to load in to avoid as much first side effects? I’m worried they will escalate if I will drop pregabalin now. Thanks for help!

I don't know you personally but I'd advise strongly against stopping the pregabalin. It and Sertraline are very, very different meds and just....I'd take both if I were you. I do and I'd hate to stop either as they both help so much in different ways. Sertraline can somewhat help with anxiety, but is an anti-depressant (it can take 6 weeks to work fully and that's once you reach the full-dose btw) whereas Pregabalin is very good for anxiety, panic, sleeping and PTSD.

Either way, 100% DO NOT change or fuck with your pregabalin dose until you are on the full dose of Sertraline and have been for AT LEAST six weeks to know the full effects and how it will work for you.

Just wanted to chime in here and say that I’m taking 300 mg pregabalin as well (that I’m not prescribed, I buy it off of a friend.) I take it exactly as prescribed, one 300 mg pill every night. I am not prescribed anything for my fibromyalgia and I know that my gabapentin script would go away if I asked for pregabalin cuz doctors don’t like you to take both at once (which is stupid, there are definitely situations where it is warranted, and there are studies out there that back me up.) I basically use pregabalin to treat my fibro and I’ll take one 800 mg gabapentin in the afternoon if I feel like I need it. So I’ve built up a supply of them and that’s another reason for me to get my script illegally, I always want to be prepared for anything, so having extras is nice (never know when civilization will burn down and you won’t be able to get to the pharmacy 🤪 only half-serious here, but the supply chain stuff when Covid happened made me more paranoid)

Taking both Pregab and Gaba seems...pointless? Do you find it helps more to take some of both that to take an equi-dose of just one of them?
Not that I can talk as I take Codeine AND Morphine so I'm doing basically the same thing but with opioids lol.

^OOMG YES. I think about end-of-world scenario's a lot and feel so worried about not being able to get my meds, I literally have like an emergency to plan to get to and raid the nearest pharmacies IMMEDIATELY in any situation of that type so I can seriously stock up on all I need before anyone else.
It's even worse than just dependance (physical and mental) on the meds....and/or legit needing them for very severe pain and mental health....I'm diabetic so I also need insulin every day to NOT DIE...
Scary thoughts, isn't it?

Taking both Pregab and Gaba seems...pointless? Do you find it helps more to take some of both that to take an equi-dose of just one of them?
Not that I can talk as I take Codeine AND Morphine so I'm doing basically the same thing but with opioids lol.

^OOMG YES. I think about end-of-world scenario's a lot and feel so worried about not being able to get my meds, I literally have like an emergency to plan to get to and raid the nearest pharmacies IMMEDIATELY in any situation of that type so I can seriously stock up on all I need before anyone else.
It's even worse than just dependance (physical and mental) on the meds....and/or legit needing them for very severe pain and mental health....I'm diabetic so I also need insulin every day to NOT DIE...
Scary thoughts, isn't it?
I find that the pregabalin helps more with the fibro, but it’s extremely sedating, so if I take 2 of the pregab, I just fall asleep. Whereas the gabapentin isn’t sedating unless I take a MASSIVE dose of it, I actually find it stimulating in the dose that I’m prescribed (unless I’m already very tired.) So that’s why this setup works for me.

As to the insulin and end-of-the-world situation, I have looked into solutions that I plan to implement in the near future. One is to dig a deep hole in the ground with coolers, and stick these coolers with tons of extra insulin. You can buy insulin without a prescription from Canada and Mexico and stock up as much as you might need for YEARS. Also you can get a generator that hooks up to a fridge and do it that way, but I’m assuming the battery would eventually run down (we’re talking about a possible scenario in which the power goes off and NEVER comes back on) and then you’d have to find a way to run the generator with some primitive means, like hooking it up to a stationary bike and pedaling to recharge the generator. But it can be done. The hole in the ground situation should at least keep a stash of this somewhat cool, especially in the area where I plan to live (Alaska) so I think it would be a good idea to utilize both these solutions.

Look, I tell everyone who laughs at me, I HOPE you are right, that I’m being overly paranoid and this will never happen (in my lifetime) but I will just feel easier in my mind if I have a plan for it. :)

I’ve also looked into making your own insulin, like from the pancreas of a pig or a cow, like it used to be….I’ve really given this a lot of thought, you can tell :laughing:

@ChemicallyEnhanced I'll do it how you saying, i'm thinking just to changing to 150-150-150 cause im taking at morning time to survive at work but with 3 lower doses i can function after work aswell. I just came back from work and now i feel terrible, at work from breakfast after preg and sertraline was not so bad, just more sweaty. When sertraline will work 100% i'll start taper, it's a quite low dose so very easy to avoid WD. Thank you very much!

Sorry for double post, quick update. I’m 3rd day on sertraline and 300mg pregabalin (longer time). First day i had side effects by being very anxious. 2nd day after taking a sertraline with breakfast only side effect was sweating, I was feeling very stimulated like I I’ve took pregabalin with zero tolerance, mind more focused. I’m doing my job with better precision. It’s not affecting my physical skills like eyes or movement. My mood is stable, pregabalin alone didn’t gave me that effect, was doing great job but still rollercoaster in emotions. For now I’m very happy how it goes. After next 4 days I’m raising dose to 50mg. Tomorrow weekend starts so I’ll try to switch from 300mg preg to 3x 150mg. Will see how my body will react. Maybe even 2x 150mg. Finally after 3 weeks of insomnia I falll a sleep for like 7h but maybe it was an effect of not sleeping well for too long :p we will see :)

Hey @opiofr3k

There's nothing dangerous involved here if we're talking about a person in normal health without other preexisting conditions. I'm a little confused, so help me out with some of the details if you could.

You're going to start taking Sertraline (Zoloft) and begin tapering off of Pregabalin (Lyrica)?

First, there's no specific reason why someone would need to taper off of the latter just to be on the former. There aren't any serious, specific contraindications between the two and I'd venture to say there are tons of people out there on both SSRI and Gabapentinoid therapy. There is a condition known as Serotonin Syndrome that you will encounter if you do a little bit of reading. Basically, it's a phenomenon, a medical emergency that arises from an imbalance of Serotonin. It's serious, but it's also very difficult to predict or plan for. There are people taking 5 different antidepressants and other drugs who will never experience Serotonin Syndrome and there are people like you who could experience Serotonin Syndrome from a comparatively minor combination.

The thing is, you just have to be prepared in all cases and listen to your body. Serotonin Syndrome is not something that you're likely to be on the fence in terms of diagnosing. It's often a pretty serious and undeniable issue. Like I said, it's difficult to plan for, but anyone who is being mindful should be able to identify the problem and alert help.

If you're asking about withdrawal symptoms, we can help with that too. It sounds like you have some experience in reducing Gabapentinoids without too much issue. That's how withdrawal is. For some, it's a much more difficult process than others. You sound like you've been able to handle it in the past, so I figure you can likely handle it now.

I always recommend going as slow as possible. There is rarely a good reason for attempting a rapid taper. Pregabalin typically comes in capsules. I assume yours are in this form. It's fairly easy to dump the powder out and judge by eye smaller increments. I think most people could pretty easily spill a capsule out and eyeball it into quarters. This gives you a little more wiggle room in terms of how fast you reduce. I would recommend making the reduction over the course of two weeks to a month if that's possible, with the reductions in dosage more or less being linear i.e. every day will consist of a dosage 1/30th smaller than the starting dose going each day.

I typically experience anxiety, perspiration, insomnia and nausea when I am withdrawing from Gabapentinoids. I've withdrawn from many different drugs and each has its own character and trials. Gabapentinoids are very "heady", there is a lot of racing thoughts, anxiety and so on. One of the signature symptoms of Gabapentinoid withdrawal is the extreme temperature control issues. Withdrawal of any kind is going to fuck with your internal thermostat somehow, but Gabapentinoids will take me from on fire hot, sweating to ice cold in seconds. If you need to work or be around people, preparing for the likelihood of being extremely sweaty throughout the day can be helpful. For me, this means bringing an extra shirt or at least a towel.

Otherwise, I think your process should be manageable. Let us know if you have any questions.

Hi @Keif' Richards ! I'm off all the drugs except sertraline, pregabalin and weed. I've change the dosage to 150-150-150 and prolly i will stay on that till i will reach max potential from sertraline, then i will start tapering pregabalin. If i'm gonna feel bad after 1-2 weeks after dropping preg i will come back to same dosage as atm. I have capsules 300mg so i dissolve powder in water and measure certain dosage using syringe. I've started taking sertraline at last wednesday 25mg every morning and till now except more sweating i'm feeling great. My mental break downs happened mostly at weekends when i was out of work and this time it didn't happen. Instead of that i've started cleaning house, went outside etc. My mind is very clear even if side effects of SSRI comes but they are really minor. I don't know if its because of pregabalin or i tolerate this medication so good. Thank you for your reply, in 2 days i'm starting taking 50mg per day and i will keep you updated guys! Thank you for your time and help :)

Last edited:
Ive been on Sertraline 50mg for years.
Every now and again i get a craving for some opioids for a bit of a recreational high - Normally Tapentadol. When i come off the tapentadol i just use 10mg of Diazs to take away the withdrawal symptoms.

Ive read that Pregabalin also gives you a nice high - but concerned now about coming off them + the sertraline aspect

Anybody had any similar experiences ?

Pregabalin gives u a high, for some time till u wont raise the dosage but tolerance is sky rocketing. High is a side effect of pregabalin, after some time you just feel good if you stay under maximum recommended dosage, and it's much easier to taper and stop taking it. Pregabalin is a great medicine, but only at recommended dosage.