• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seroquel - Dosage too high?

ABlueBird

Greenlighter
I have found an older thread on this site (here). I take Seroquel for insomnia, but I take at least 200mg per night. In the past, I would take usually 800mg a night. (But when I first started, I took only around 25mg). Most posts in that thread say 50mg is enough. Is it concerning that I take such a higher dosage? I know it's because of my body building up a tolerance. But is my body being harmed by taking so much seroquel each night for so many years?

Upping the dose doses not help with tolerance, really-there are only so many H1 receptors in the CNS, and past a certain dose, it maxes out, and begins having it?s atypical antidepressant properties and even some anti-psychotic

Lower your dose, then skip a day or for a tolerance break; then try maybe 50mg as a hypnotic -alone-

And you can?t really take it every night; most nights, 25-100mg, however you have to skip nights to maintain the full hypnotic effectiveness

Years of use is a long time, any long term effects would be speculative, and more acute effects depend upon details-just do a ?Seroquel taper?(now that is an odd one to type) and cut dose gradually to at least 100mg, and then get to less than 100mg, and skip a night or two, then take your much smaller dose

If you take it for ANYTHING ELSE that is different; do not simply cut your dose in half randomly, though if it is just for sleep, 200mgbis pointless, although it is also enough to have borderline chronic effects, so go down low and slow +with discretion

Even 100mg would be an improvement, and you can even drop 25ng at a time - if you want, itt isn? required or anything ;(

I'm staggered people take that much. I usually use 25-50mg to help sleep and it has a noticable dissassociative effect - not something I find particulary pleasant or enjoyable. Perhaps some people enjoy it - each to their own

Diphendrydide has a similar effect

Upping the dose doses not help with tolerance, really-there are only so many H1 receptors in the CNS, and past a certain dose, it maxes out, and begins having it?s atypical antidepressant properties and even some anti-psychotic

Lower your dose, then skip a day or for a tolerance break; then try maybe 50mg as a hypnotic -alone-

And you can?t really take it every night; most nights, 25-100mg, however you have to skip nights to maintain the full hypnotic effectiveness

Years of use is a long time, any long term effects would be speculative, and more acute effects depend upon details-just do a ?Seroquel taper?(now that is an odd one to type) and cut dose gradually to at least 100mg, and then get to less than 100mg, and skip a night or two, then take your much smaller dose

If you take it for ANYTHING ELSE that is different; do not simply cut your dose in half randomly, though if it is just for sleep, 200mgbis pointless, although it is also enough to have borderline chronic effects, so go down low and slow +with discretion

Even 100mg would be an improvement, and you can even drop 25ng at a time - if you want, itt isn? required or anything ;(

Thank you for your advice. I have noticed that skipping a night of sleep helped me "reset", but I never really knew for sure if it helped or if I just thought it did.

I'm staggered people take that much. I usually use 25-50mg to help sleep and it has a noticable dissassociative effect - not something I find particulary pleasant or enjoyable. Perhaps some people enjoy it - each to their own

Diphendrydide has a similar effect

Seroquel doesn't make me disassociate. However, it does make me very groggy and dizzy, especially when I take a higher dosage. Sometimes I feel like I will faint. My heart also races quickly and I fear I'll have a heart attack, but after about 15 minutes, I feel way better.

No, I only take seroquel for insomnia (although I did develop depression, but I have other medication for that.)

For the most part, those doses of Seroquel are considered medically safe. It is actually a pretty safe-profiled drug.

The main concern is that at higher doses like you are taking, as others have touched on, you are going to start experiencing more of its antipsychotic, neuroleptic effects. This could result in you feeling the next day like you are having a harder time feeling emotions, feeling excited or expressing your thoughts or at the higher levels, even feeling like you cannot think at all.

Most anti-insomnia dosages of Seroquel tend to stay at 100mg or lower because that tends to be the area above which the neuroleptic effects really start to kick in. If you are only taking it for sleep, you may want to considering changing to another non-addictive sleep aid. I really liked my time taking Remeron (Mirtazapine) and would actually switch to it when Seroquel stopped working for me. Then a while later I would change back to Seroquel and it would start working again.

Sleep aid tolerance with quetiapine rises very quickly after few days. And you are fron about going over 200mg is pointless, after using few weeks of quetiapine I started with 100mg and ended up taking 325mg in order to get sleep, 200mg didn't do nothing.

^ Why are you prescribed it?

You could be an anomaly, however only so many H1 receptors for atypical anti-depressant medications to bind too

If course it has other effects, those these are often undesirable as a sleep aid;; it could be helping you therapeutically or those mechanisms are helping

Or you are simply just sleeping better :)

^ Why are you prescribed it?

You could be an anomaly, however only so many H1 receptors for atypical anti-depressant medications to bind too

If course it has other effects, those these are often undesirable as a sleep aid;; it could be helping you therapeutically or those mechanisms are helping

Or you are simply just sleeping better :)

For sleeping. It's great when wd'ing from opioids or pregabalin or taken after amphetamine binge. It has some nasty side effect, it makes impossible to breath through nose with higher doses. Mirtazapine is also good for sleeping.