• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News 'Serious concerns' over TGA's decision making on landmark psilocybin, MDMA ruling

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

'Serious concerns' over TGA's decision making on landmark psilocybin, MDMA ruling

Annika Blau, Geoff Thompson
ABC Australia
17 Mar 2023

Excerpts:
In a leafy backyard in suburban Sydney, a father dives into his pool.

While this carefree scene might seem normal, for this man — who asked that we use a false name — it was unusual just six months ago.

Back then, Andrew was crippled by the symptoms of PTSD and associated physical pain: "I was almost non-functional and was not contributing to society or my family."

But that all changed with a course of psychedelic therapy, taken illegally through an underground therapist, on a daybed overlooking a valley in the bush.
As recently as October last year, the TGA ruled that there was insufficient evidence to down-schedule the drugs. But just months later, in February, it did a spectacular 180-degree turn and approved psychiatrists to use MDMA for PTSD and psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression.
"There's an enormous pressure around from — I call them 'lobbyists' — who feel that these drugs should be introduced as soon as possible; that there's a huge demand for these drugs and that we are in the so-called mental health crisis and these drugs are going to have a profound effect upon the treatment of psychiatric illness in Australia. They may or may not be right, but certainly, I think they've had a very strong influence on the TGA and their decision-making."