• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Self Taper off Pregablin , Can someone just view over my plans

Darksidesam

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Hi so i want to taper off of pregablin and quit. I do suffer with anxiety on and off and i must say this medication hasnt really helped me unless i took twice the dose im prescribed, but i dont want to be on 400mg a day of this it makes me very dizzy and i have mini seizures (petit mal) since starting it. Im not really in touch with a doctor or gp , psychiatrists just give medications then leave me to it.
Due to side effects including very bad acid reflux (when i get capsules not tablets) and there is no consistency from the pharmacies for capsules or tablets , it just is given as is what it is.

Ive been on 100mg 2x a day for about 6 months now,
my plan is :

Week 1 : 75mg 2x a day
Week 2: 50mg 2x a day
Week 3: 50mg 2x a day
Week 4: 50mg 1x a day

(I have enough pills/capsules to do this without asking for prescriptions)
Thoughts? how will i find this

Last edited:
Luckily you were on a pretty low dose. 600 mgs per day is the max prescribed dose ( at least that's what the guideline is supposed to be ) so 200 isn't too high at all. One third of what most people take.

6 months duration is also good as even though you might be dependent at this point it's not a real critical dependency. You could probably stop cold turkey right now and only suffer with increased anxiety, some insomnia and maybe a few other symptoms. But.........tapering is the best way to get off something with the least amount of discomfort. Your taper looks good. It' a smart way to convince your brain and body that you don't need the drug. I took it for a year or so ( not every single day but often enough ) and then one day I was forced to quit ( supply ran out ) so I thought oh shit.......I'm in for it now. I would take 900 mgs per day. Yep...3 of those 300 mg reddish/orange capsules. I was pleasantly surprised. My anxiety came back ( that's why I took it ) and I slept like crap again ( that's also why I took it ) but after a few days I was relatively fine. I mean physically I was fine. My brain still wanted it but that's only because the anxiety and insomnia came back.

The taper will help a lot. I had to quit cold.......so you may be better off than you think you will be. We are all different though. Some people come off things with ease and others struggle bad. Stay busy, eat good, take walks, play with the dog, take some OTC stuff if you can't sleep, try and keep yourself as busy as you can.

Good luck !

Luckily you were on a pretty low dose. 600 mgs per day is the max prescribed dose ( at least that's what the guideline is supposed to be ) so 200 isn't too high at all. One third of what most people take.

6 months duration is also good as even though you might be dependent at this point it's not a real critical dependency. You could probably stop cold turkey right now and only suffer with increased anxiety, some insomnia and maybe a few other symptoms. But.........tapering is the best way to get off something with the least amount of discomfort. Your taper looks good. It' a smart way to convince your brain and body that you don't need the drug. I took it for a year or so ( not every single day but often enough ) and then one day I was forced to quit ( supply ran out ) so I thought oh shit.......I'm in for it now. I would take 900 mgs per day. Yep...3 of those 300 mg reddish/orange capsules. I was pleasantly surprised. My anxiety came back ( that's why I took it ) and I slept like crap again ( that's also why I took it ) but after a few days I was relatively fine. I mean physically I was fine. My brain still wanted it but that's only because the anxiety and insomnia came back.

The taper will help a lot. I had to quit cold.......so you may be better off than you think you will be. We are all different though. Some people come off things with ease and others struggle bad. Stay busy, eat good, take walks, play with the dog, take some OTC stuff if you can't sleep, try and keep yourself as busy as you can.

Good luck !
So this is a safe taper? im not risking seizures am i?
I have some 25s i can take for week 5 but only several.

Im going to try and increase my exercise and overall hardiness (preparing to wild camp soonish, need to condition myself to carry loads etc)

Thanks for the reply
Side note: i have both CBD rich cannabis and THC i tend to use the CBD just as much as the THC or mix them these days (As i got older i dont like to just get out my brain lol)