• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

selegiline & MDMA neuroprotection mechanism

Psychedelics_r_best said:
http://thedea.org/neurotoxicity.html#m

That doesnt seem to be what is published here, and this summary seems quite extensive. Of course if used too extensively I would reason permanent damage can occur but it seems to presented here that most "damage" to SERT systems seems to be reversible.

And what do you mean by 52+ week results that are irreversible? If the damage only last approxiamtely 52 weeks then it is reversible, but if it is irreversible than it last forever, opposed to 52+ weeks.

Scans depicting changes in blood flow do not necessarily note that there are not permanent changes made to the serotonergic and dopaminergic systems in your brain. When they hack these people open and show me the activity of tryptophan hydroxylase and the serotonergic axon terminals, then I will believe that nothing has or has not changed. The brain is a versatile organ and can adjust to many neurochemical changes if it has to. The SERT study looks hopeful, but again there is the issue of short term memory and cognitive deficits in heavy MDMA users and the seemingly permanent "loss of magic" tolerance experienced by the same group.