• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Seeking people who have used newer synthetic drugs / legal highs for feature article

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
Hello Bluelighters

Yes I've done these call-outs before and we've had mixed experiences, but I think this is a good opportunity as Greg is writing a long piece and after a half hour chat with him, I got the impression that he really wants to get past the usual angles and focus on the wider implications of these trends for drug prohibition/regulation. Greg is based in Sydney.

Greg's request is as follows - please contact him if you are up for it.

"Hello,

I am a feature writer with The Weekend Australian Magazine. I am researching a 4000 to 5000 word piece for the magazine about newer synthetic drugs. I would like to speak to users about their experiences. There is a national debate raging at the moment about newer synthetic drugs but we've heard little from people who actually use them. I will guarantee your anonymity, if that's what you want. I would prefer to do the interviews face to face, but can do it over the phone. I can be contacted on 0437 914 721 or at [email protected]

Regards,

Greg Bearup"

He also provided an example of a drug related story he wrote, albeit published a while ago now, which is archived on Bluelight at http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/archive/index.php/t-2708.html - it includes a great quote from the cops about how ecstasy use has helped them with managing large events.

by greg bearup

at 4am at bondi on new year's day, dozens of bored police wandered past thousands of partygoers with smiles beaming from faces with dilated pupils. Love, it seemed, was in the air.

There was little for the police to do - not a single fight and only one arrest for a minor drink-driving charge.

Why? The answer, say police and health experts, may be the great shift among young party goers from alcohol and its associated aggressive behaviour to ecstasy, the love drug.

"it was quite amazing," a senior bondi police officer said of one of the most trouble-free new year's eves in years.

"five or 10 years ago everyone would have been drunk and there would have been fights everywhere. The paddy wagons would have been full, but we had no trouble at all this year.

"the big topic of conversation amongst the officers on the night was how the widespread use of ecstasy has really calmed things down. It has changed the whole scene."

Wonder how this would equate with an equal amount of people on synthetic drugs (and an abundance of crystal meth) in this present day. 13 yrs later.

Thanks tronica.

Im just about to read the article. From poledrivers kittle quote it seems it may be rather unbias and balanced. Im in awe to be honest from that quote. Now those cops just have to convince the majority left on the force to agree. Then legalise it!

NOT fucking funny opi8, mate! :p

im allowed to dream. And here you are crushing them down :( ;)

I'd love to take part but I don't trust uncle rupert one bit. Him or his many evil machinations and cronies.

I mean that with all sincerity; no offence Tronica - thanks for the link :)

if he would like to talk to some one who has used/manufactured/distributed both 25i-nbome and akb048 then tell him to get into contact with me. i've already attempted to contact him previously with no reply.

I emailed him and answered a few of his questions but I haven't heard anything from him in almost a week now.

I asked Greg for a progress report and he says:
"Hi Monica,

Thanks so much for your help. I got heaps of responses and am trying to reply to all of them, when I get time. Have spoken to a number of them on the phone. It is really fascinating.

Cheers
Greg"

I'd love to take part but I don't trust uncle rupert one bit. Him or his many evil machinations and cronies.

I mean that with all sincerity; no offence Tronica - thanks for the link :)
Thats pretty well exactly what I was thinking ..... :(

Fair enough. I entirely agree with your sentiments about mainstream media. I just have a different view about how to engage with it - that is, the story is going to happen regardless of my input, but if I think the story will be better with my input, then I should contribute. I appreciate not everyone agrees with this approach though!

^ helps when you can be brought in as an objective "expert" for the soundbyte, but point taken all the same.
Keep up the great work :)

^ I agree. Keep up the good work, Monica.

It can't be easy to act as a liaison between several parties who who radically different agendas and perspectives, but it's so important for a bridge of communication to be constructed and you seem to be doing a huge amount in making this happen.

It's a long and complex road toward increasing awareness amongst the general public and helping authorities become better equipped to recognise where exactly the real dangers to society lie. I don't think there's ever been a more confusing time in regards to the legalities and actual risks of substances which are not well understood, and which change so quickly as to be virtually impossible to catalogue accurately.

A group effort is required and I think Tronica is doing an amazing job at trying to bring together sensitive information while respecting the privacy of respondents.