• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Scientists design a drug that relieves pain like an opioid without addictiveness

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
hat if you could design a drug that has all the pain-relieving power of morphine but none of its dangerous or addictive side effects?

Scientists have spent years trying to do just that, and on Wednesday, they unveiled one of their most promising compounds yet — a chemical concoction they dubbed PZM21.

When tested in mice that were placed on a hot surface, PZM21 offered nearly as much pain relief as morphine and lasted for up to three hours. That’s “substantially longer” than morphine or other experimental drugs, the scientists wrote in the journal Nature.

Mice treated with PZM21 did not find it addictive, as evidenced by the fact that they were no more likely to return to a place where they got the drug than to visit a similar chamber where they could get a saline solution. Plus, while the animals became hyperactive after a dose of morphine — considered a sign of the drug’s addictive power — they remained perfectly calm after getting a comparable dose of PZM21.

They also were less constipated, a side effect of opioid drugs that was highlighted in a much-maligned Super Bowl commercial.

But the drug isn’t perfect. Mice treated with PZM21 experienced a 40% drop in their respiratory rate in the first 15 minutes after getting the drug, the study authors said. (Compared with the 25% drop seen in mice that got a placebo, the effect wasn’t quite large enough to be statistically significant.) However, their breathing improved before the drug’s painkilling properties wore off. That’s in contrast to morphine, which continues to cause respiratory depression even after it allows pain to return.

The researchers, led by Dr. Aashish Manglik of the Stanford University School of Medicine and Henry Lin of UC San Francisco, found their way to PZM21 by searching for a compound that would precisely fit a specific type of opioid receptor in the brain and spinal cord. They used powerful computers to test more than 3 million compounds, each in an average of 1.3 million configurations.

The top 2,500 contenders — representing 0.08% of the possible candidates — were checked manually. Among these, 23 were selected for further testing, of which seven were deemed most promising. The researchers then tested 500 analogs of three of them and narrowed the field to 15, then seven, then finally one.

But they weren’t done. They tweaked this compound, rearranging the atoms in the molecule to get the best possible fit. Their creation was PZM21.

In the tests with mice, the higher the dose of PZM21, the more pain relief they felt. Ultimately, the compound ameliorated 87% of their pain, compared with 92% for morphine, according to the study.

Although their computer-assisted approach wasn’t able to find the optimal drug — one that had no effect on breathing — it did allow the researchers to create something that is tantalizingly close.

The need for such a drug is clear. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, sales of prescription opioids like morphine, OxyContin and Vicodin have quadrupled since 1999, and so has the number of overdose deaths. By 2014, the number of annual overdose deaths in America reached 14,000. The drugs send more than 1,000 people to U.S. emergency rooms every day.

“An ideal opioid would kill pain potently without producing morphine’s harmful respiratory effects, would show sustained efficacy in chronic treatments and would not be addictive,” molecular biologist Brigitte Kieffer, an expert on opiate receptors, wrote in an essay that accompanied the Nature study.

PZM21, she added, represents a step “toward this perfect drug.”

Source: http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-drug-mimics-opioids-20160817-snap-story.html

I wonder how this is possible?

I also wonder if it gets people high or has any of the consciousness altering effects of other opioids.

Basically it kind of seems like they came up with a drug similar to Kratom but less addictive.

I'm intrigued to see what happens with this stuff in the future.

I wonder how this is possible?

I also wonder if it gets people high or has any of the consciousness altering effects of other opioids.

Basically it kind of seems like they came up with a drug similar to Kratom but less addictive.

I'm intrigued to see what happens with this stuff in the future.

Well, it's still an opioid. So my guess is that it's like other opioids that suck recreationally but work for pain relief, but more so.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it. Given that it's still an opioid though it'd be quite impressive if it truly had no addiction liability.

The scientific literature is littered with compounds that show promise of being non-addictive yet comparable to morphine as a painkiller, but there has yet to be a success story. This compound is still in early days... I wouldn't get too excited yet.

The scientific literature is littered with compounds that show promise of being non-addictive yet comparable to morphine as a painkiller, but there has yet to be a success story. This compound is still in early days... I wouldn't get too excited yet.

I imagine a drug like this, and as you mentioned, the promising ones in the past, would slow the flow of $$$ into some big pockets. I doubt they would be a big fan of that, seeing as they're used to a steady flow of moolah.

And you'd probably be wrong. I say probably cause I can't be completely sure.

But a drug that takes away pain and doesn't cause addiction could bring in a fortune. You can't compare the ideal version of this, which wouldn't need to be regulated hypothetically. With morphine that does. Even if the latter causes addiction the former would still net more profit because it's not the same regulatory factors suppressing its use.

I imagine a drug like this, and as you mentioned, the promising ones in the past, would slow the flow of $$$ into some big pockets. I doubt they would be a big fan of that, seeing as they're used to a steady flow of moolah.

And you'd probably be wrong. I say probably cause I can't be completely sure.

But a drug that takes away pain and doesn't cause addiction could bring in a fortune.

Jess is right on this one. No company would pass on the opportunity to market one of the biggest blockbuster drugs of all time just to protect the disparate interests of the many pharmaceutical companies (mostly generics at this point) that have a stake in the current painkiller market.

I think sometimes people work themselves up over the legitimately shady and immoral behaviors companies sometimes engage in go the point where they start imagining a point of cartoonist supervillainy where they start doing bad shit just cause it's evil.

Not saying that's what the posters doing in this case, just that it happens. People have a habit of forgetting that it's often the case that doing the right thing actually is the best course of action from a purely economic point of view.

Like when people accuse big pharma of holding back cures so they can keep selling treatments despite the fact that there actually are already lots of diseases that have been cured and that if you have a cure, and no other company does. You can charge a shit load for it, have a monopoly on it, and it's not like new people won't still wind up contracting the disease. A treatment isn't automatically more profitable than a cure for an individual company.

Which is another one, people imagine big pharma as a joint conspiracy rather than lots of competing companies. So a lot of claims of evil behavior fall apart when you realize they aren't actually a cartel in that way.

But then I'm just on a rant here. It just frustrates me that people know so little about say, chemistry. But still think they're qualified to make judgements like that this medication or that medication is poison with no real understanding of what a poison is.

Annnyway. I tend to doubt this will turn out to be as great as they suggest. If it does go anywhere itll likely wind up as another opioid among many that sucks for recreational use but doesn't suck so much that nobody tries

Since it's an opioid it's hard to believe it has no addiction liability whatsoever. It'll be interesting to see one day though..

A lot of this question, the feasibility of creating a highly effective powerful painkiller with no addiction potential. It likely hinges on questions about how out biology works on a level we probably don't fully understand yet. I don't know. But I'd think it depends on the unique ways different opioid receptors behave. Then there's also the possibility of nonopioid analgesics. Like the COX inhibitors.

It would be great if we did find the ultimate analgesic that had no addiction potential. But I doubt this is it.

If nothing else, even if this drug doesn't cause euphoria, it's all but certain it would still induce dependence. Which would itself still provoke regulation.

But I'd think it depends on the unique ways different opioid receptors behave.

If nothing else, even if this drug doesn't cause euphoria, it's all but certain it would still induce dependence. Which would itself still provoke regulation.
Supposedly this particular drug results in less activation of signaling pathways that desensitize/downregulate opioid receptors, but indeed it is still binding to the primary opioid receptor (Mu-opioid receptor) just like heroin and morphine et cetera

There have been multiple claims of non-addictive opioid pain killers, but we seem a ways off. Evidence tends to surface that they are in fact reinforcing in animals, and of course rodents =/= humans. Humans manage to abuse/dosage escalate with just about everything, but drugs can also behave very differently in a human brain than a mouse brain

CY

Indeed.

Heroin itself was one of these miracle nonaddictive morphine substitute drugs once.

Granted that was a long time ago and a somewhat different situation and context, so it's not that fair a comparison. But it's still worth noting that there was a time when heroin was advertised as being one of the new non addictive morphine alternatives.

Woops.

Without reading the scientific papers....wiki cites it as a mu agonist 40 percent respirator depression.

Sounds like some good addictive shit to me.

Probably has off taget effects that fuck up the rats in so many other ways that they act differently bthan morphine...there for giving a diff "response"...it does have an amphetaime or phenethylamine core to it...probably rats are too tweeked out to display to normal opioid withdrawal signals

...and only a journalist with no scientific back round would make such an outlandish claim...the scientists have not from what I'm seeing

...and only a journalist with no scientific back round would make such an outlandish claim...the scientists have not from what I'm seeing

That's very often the case. The media makes bullshit statements about scientific studies. Then the retarded public blame the scientists saying they keep changing their mind or saying shit that's wrong when in fact it was only ever the reporters that said anything at all.

not a biologist here, but rat data is very very preliminary imo. without studies of off target receptors, in vitro studies re the same, and human studies we don't know anything about this drug other than its a mu opioids agonist that fucks rats up so much that they act differently than morphine.

No offense, Jess, but keep dreaming. I'm honestly jealous of your positivity, and general lack of cynicism and misanthropy. Even if pharm makers would love to produce something non-addictive that was still very effective, I'm not convinced it can be made.

Edit: I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

Never is a very long time.

If it looks promising I wouldn't think it'd be particularly difficulty to find someone to bring it to the market.