• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Salvia

i personally wouldnt do it, but ya ive heard that to, i figured it was the slow onset eating or sublingual gives you, instead of the slap in the face smoking it gives you

plus as i said, i didnt fully understand what i was doing when i did it, that had something to do with how i felt

also i didnt take it slow, and it was my first trip on anything but weed

if your set on doing it, i would make your own, just buy a ounce of salvia leaves, grind em up and soak em in everclear, after all the alkoloids are dissolved and youve stirred it and stuff, strain it, and drop in a herb of your choice

if you use 28 grams, salvia is usually 1% salvinorium A, which means youll get 280 mg of it from a ounce hopefully, you dont want the strongest stuff, you should aim for 5x stronger than normal, so get 5.4 grams of pot and drop it in and let it evaporate, stirring alot as it does

what youll be left with is weed with 5 times the amount of salvinorium A that salvia has

take one hit, and hold it in for 30 seconds, or it wont absorb, wait 5 minutes and see how you react, increase dose as needed

or you could always dissolve the extract back into a couple ml of everclear, and absorb it sublingually or eat it, thats called a tincture

if you go slow and dont be a idiot, youll probally be ok, or atleast you wont get traumatized like i did, oh and you absolutely need a trip sitter for this

also you might forget you have taken salvia and that you are tripping and that real life is not a videogame and realize that you are actually a alien disguised as a squirell, and always have been

Last edited:
'Microdosing' is not the word I would use, but I have smoked small doses of Salvia by mixing it with Cannabis. I found the resulting effects to be vaguely comparable to low doses of MXE. I enjoyed it, but my girlfriend did not - and that's typical of Salvia experiences, some people like it but the majority don't. So, to answer your question, using Salvia in low doses is doable, and I'd say that's certainly the best way to try it. In the end, how much you like it will be up to you.

As others have noted, Salvia is not a classical psychedelic.

I disagree with salvia being a dissociative, the effects are nothing like ketamine, dxm or nitrous. Yes, it produces out of body experiences but the similarity ends there.

I completely agree with this. Salvia is nothing like a dissociative to me, not more than any other hallucinogen is in high doses anyway. I've always found the idea that we should group mechanistically completely and utterly different substances together just because some people find them somewhat alike to a little ridiculous, or at least too simplistic. If we're just going on being able to produce some dissociation as a good enough qualifier, why not call all cannabinoids dissociatives as well? Or even breakthrough doses of psychedelics, for that matter?

The answer: because it would only add to everyone's confusion, just like it does with salvia. And yet this one still seems to have slipped through the cracks....

Well it's classified as a dissociative. It's a kappa opioid receptor agonist so it works totally differently from NMDA antagonists but it's still a dissociative.

Classified by who, exactly?

2h5ldhv.png

I'm not saying that people don't call it a dissociative, but I've never seen anything close to a scientific consensus on this. I hear nearly as many people describe it as a psychedelic, though I don't agree with that either. I find all three (salvia, dissociatives, and psychedelics) to have something inherently in common that feels as though it relates simply to the nature of hallucinations in general, but beyond that I find none of them to be effective substitutes for the others. Nor do Sprague-Dawley rats.

There isn't really an authority to define the classification, the pharmacology is so atypical that even there we lack the reference to say anything definitive. The only thing we are clearly doing is trying to show what it is similar to at most, but ultimately technically not. While hallucinogenic, the action is IMO qualitatively different enough from classic psychedelics to make it kind of iffy.
I'd say that the dissociative component (and hallucinations in that *breakthrough* immersed dissociated state) qualifies Salvia as primarily a dissociative type hallucinogen. That it's not like arylcyclohexylamines is a bad argument. Tryptamines can be unlike phenethylamines but if phenethylamines were at one point the only psychedelics we knew, I wonder if we would hesitate to call tryptamines psychedelic. Don't see if it reminds you of known drugs, but see if technically what definition of a descriptor like 'dissociative' behaves like the most.

I wonder if ether is a dissociative for that matter. I tried it but couldn't get significant effect from it before it all evaporated.

"Psychedelic" is mind-manifesting, and the trip content is unlike say that of deliriant hallucinogenic effect (which is rather of a delusional or illusory nature) a distortion or manifestation of our thoughts and feelings.

Salvia's effects are in my opinion more mystical like a dream-like vision, and occur most of all in the dissolution of normal awareness, say of time/space or our bodies, of being a human organism. That type of action: apparently having your mind fill in fantastical things when failing to register normal benchmarks of reality, is I would say the approach of a dissociative drug. And unlike most psychedelics, for Salvia it is normal to experience such dissociative effects at low dose or the lighter effect range.

Anyway classifying it is mostly useful at this point to give people some general ballpark idea of what the drug is like. Atypical and hallucinogenic should be the main descriptors and they don't seem to be so subjective, but choosing between psychedelic or dissociative is a complex topic for discussion and despite that I have my own explanation for my opinion, I am generally very open to the opposite stance.

The fact that a DMT breakthrough can be dissociative too and makes differentiation very blurry, or that salvia can perhaps produce trips with some meaningful 'narrative' attest the contrary - indeed almost all psychedelics can be dissociative, and dissociatives can be psychedelic. So none of the words used for Salvia here are wrong enough to make it truly important what or who is right, or the most right. There are limits though... just because you can go delirious on 2C-B doesn't make it okay for us to classify it as a deliriant.

But it can help to narrow it down what the 'tactics' of the effect develop like like i tried to ^, or at least it's interesting, if you ask me.

Last edited:
There isn't really an authority to define the classification, the pharmacology is so atypical that even there we lack the reference to say anything definitive. The only thing we are clearly doing is trying to show what it is similar to at most, but ultimately technically not. While hallucinogenic, the action is IMO qualitatively different enough from classic psychedelics to make it kind of iffy.
I'd say that the dissociative component (and hallucinations in that *breakthrough* immersed dissociated state) qualifies Salvia as primarily a dissociative type hallucinogen.

The fact that a DMT breakthrough can be dissociative too and makes differentiation very blurry, or that salvia can perhaps produce trips with some meaningful 'narrative' attest the contrary - indeed almost all psychedelics can be dissociative, and dissociatives can be psychedelic. So none of the words used for Salvia here are wrong enough to make it truly important what or who is right, or the most right. There are limits though... just because you can go delirious on 2C-B doesn't make it okay for us to classify it as a deliriant.

Perhaps I didn't make this clear enough, but I don't find salvia overly similar to either psychedelics or dissociatives. My argument is that it should not be defined as either, but simply as its own thing. What I was trying say with DMT is that it causing dissociative-level hallucinations does not make it a dissociative in my eyes, so nor does the same do that for salvia. As for the actual content of the hallucinations as well, I would have to argue as well that there are quite a few extremely prevalent patterns obvious among salvia trips, not only in reports but even in the scientific literature, that I do not hear about with any sort of frequency on NMDA antagonists. While the trips may seem superficially similar particularly in their intense abstractness, I still believe that they are quite different when truly scrutinized.

That it's not like arylcyclohexylamines is a bad argument. Tryptamines can be unlike phenethylamines but if phenethylamines were at one point the only psychedelics we knew, I wonder if we would hesitate to call tryptamines psychedelic. Don't see if it reminds you of known drugs, but see if technically what definition of a descriptor like 'dissociative' behaves like the most.

Did someone say that it's not like arylcyclohexylamines specifically? Perhaps I missed this. I have only had one experiences with that class period, with ketamine, so I really wasn't making that comparison.

While I get what you're saying, and have my own opinions down that road as well, I have to say that I still think it falls outside of the reach of salvia. While I do find tryptamines and phenethylamines to be quite different in some ways, I still find them to have remarkable similarities on a level that salvia does not have with any dissociatives I have tried of any class, whether it was ketamine, DXM, memantine, or nitrous oxide, despite the fact that I find them all comparable to each other on a similar level.

I wonder if ether is a dissociative for that matter. I tried it but couldn't get significant effect from it before it all evaporated.

Ether also has significant GABAergic effects, does it not? I've never tried it, but to me it always sounded more like a version of alcohol that was simply usable enough by a rapid delivery route that some more noticeable dissociative effects could be reached.

"Psychedelic" is mind-manifesting, and the trip content is unlike say that of deliriant hallucinogenic effect (which is rather of a delusional or illusory nature) a distortion or manifestation of our thoughts and feelings.

Salvia's effects are in my opinion more mystical like a dream-like vision, and occur most of all in the dissolution of normal awareness, say of time/space or our bodies, of being a human organism. That type of action: apparently having your mind fill in fantastical things when failing to register normal benchmarks of reality, is I would say the approach of a dissociative drug. And unlike most psychedelics, for Salvia it is normal to experience such dissociative effects at low dose or the lighter effect range.

I completely understand your argument, as I have known many people who have made essentially the same one. However, I am on the other side of the field. I would not call anything a psychedelic that is not a 5-HT2A agonist, nor would I call anything a dissociative that is a not a NMDA antagonist. I personally believe that categorizing a drug by its inherently widely variable and difficult to understand subjective effects only leads to far more confusion than simply naming them for what they're scientifically shown to do. Why not just call it kappaergic, or something else? While people may not recognize what that means at first, they surely would if we just gave it time to become more a known thing like dissociatives now are.

Perhaps notably, I would also say that psychedelics dissolve my normal awareness of time, space, my body, and my normal life at low doses. The way they do so is different from what dissociatives do to me, but then, so is salvia.

Anyway classifying it is mostly useful at this point to give people some general ballpark idea of what the drug is like. Atypical and hallucinogenic should be the main descriptors and they don't seem to be so subjective, but choosing between psychedelic or dissociative is a complex topic for discussion and despite that I have my own explanation for my opinion, I am generally very open to the opposite stance.

We must really be on the opposite sides of this lol. While I do agree that those terms would probably be more fitting when describing drugs as a whole, it seems to be going in the opposite direction of what I'm trying to achieve. I think they should be segregated more, not less, if people are to really come to understand them for what they are.

Anyway, this of course is highly subjective once again, but I just don't personally believe that calling salvia a dissociative does give one a ballpark idea of what the drug is like. I quite honestly find salvia and NMDA antagonists to be extremely different, in psychological, emotional, physical, and hallucinogenic effects. If someone had tried to prepare me for salvia by telling me it would be like any of the dissociatives I've used, I'd probably be pretty pissed off when I came down from it.

But it can help to narrow it down what the 'tactics' of the effect develop like like i tried to ^, or at least it's interesting, if you ask me.

I find it interesting to compare and contrast them, without a doubt. I just don't think we should be using the same labels for things that are ultimately quite different as a whole. But, to each their own. I also know people who are perfectly happy calling deliriants psychedelics because they are also clearly "mind-manifesting", and this I cannot objectively argue either.

What they are scientifically shown to do is for 5-HT2A agonists to agonize that receptor and for NMDA antagonist to antagonize that one.

There are stimulants that vary in their pharmacology and depressants even more so. Also off the top of my head deliriants can not only act as anticholinergic, but also antimuscarinic and antihistaminics.

For psychedelic, stim, depressant... these have names saying what they do, not how they do it.

It's different for opiate, opioid, gabapentinoid, cannabinoid.... those ending with -oid are drugs that show on what system they act or mimicking what ligand. Seems like you have those confused.
As with the black swan theory, don't assume that just because you haven't seen the exception until a certain point there can't be.

The uniqueness of Salvia can be capitalized on in other ways than using the classification to drive that point home. Kappaergic or kappa opioid is great as a technical term, but it means very little to the average person. Is it your hope that confusion urges people to do their homework? I'm afraid it might not work like that for a lot of people.

Putting atypical in front of it should tell you that it's not like the others. If you still think that, you are ignoring a word aren't you? :)

So got a little problem with that reasoning there ^ but! I guess the rest of your 'preparing a person' argument I can agree with. While I'd stay on the safe side and stick with hallucinogen instead of psychedelic (despite similarities, that too can give the wrong impression and piss a person off), yeah it is probably not worth classifying it as dissociative if that leads to problems with new users.
Doesn't mean I don't think it's technically the right class. ;)

Drugs are called 'dissociatives' because they have dissociative effects, not because they're similar to ketamine. That Salvia has dissociative effects can hardly be denied.

If you want labels that separate NMDA antagonists from κ-opioid agonists... well, there you go.

Last edited:
op, i dont think salvia is dissociative.

Salvia is all about gravity. And the thought of "why" things or people are doing something.

Imo salvia exists in nature to teach humans about gravity.

Basically a shot forward followed by a cyclical feeling free fall then a new place where everything moves in different directions.

Go with leaves. Very trippy. Right in the gspot of light and heavy. Everyone looks so hilarious.

I seriously doubt that anything exists in nature especially for us. We find ourselves incredibly special, but despite our achievements as an intelligent species I think it's very selfish and human-centered to think that nature or the universe cares for us. That's not to say it isn't the best possible scenario for us to live in harmony with the world (even merely as a game theory outcome), it is... but that's not the same as expecting something to exist and be reciprocate, just because we think of something or believe in something.

No offense.. :)

That said, while many drugs in nature have a perfectly good explanation to be there, that have nothing to do with us by the way, Salvinorins are very unusual substances and their function hasn't been proven yet.. however! Research shows that salvinorin is excreted via trichomes much like THC from cannabis. This happens especially heavily from the leaves of young seedling, which are of course particularly vulnerable. This indicates that the salvinorin has some protective function (possibly to deter certain insects), again much like THC.
Further research would be required, ideally to find some insect endemic to cloud forests Salvia lives that likes to eat Salvia leaves but is deterred by salvinorin. It could even become disoriented (gravity shifts!!) and fall off the leave. Who knows.

But yeah I definitely experienced gravity shifts, like gravity becoming curved going upwards spiraling to the upper corner of the room. Also movement and gravity disappearing making everything 'stuck' or plastered.
And there are countless reports of conveyor belts and zipping movements or desintegration.

I'm harvesting quite some leaves, one of my plants is reaching the ceiling almost.. :) Can post pic

Saving up to one day do a massive extraction..

Last edited:
ive heard of salvia having anti depressant effects in some people, in the low dose oral administration way you guys mentioned earlier, does anyone have experience with that?

I seriously doubt that anything exists in nature especially for us. We find ourselves incredibly special, but despite our achievements as an intelligent species I think it's very selfish and human-centered to think that nature or the universe cares for us. That's not to say it isn't the best possible scenario for us to live in harmony with the world (even merely as a game theory outcome), it is... but that's not the same as expecting something to exist and be reciprocate, just because we think of something or believe in something.

It's not selfish or human centered to think the universe cares for us, on the contrary it is human centered to think it doesn't because that implies separation - that there is nature and then there is us, as if we were too separate things.

The plants have shown me, that ain't how it is. We are nature, we are part of nature. We are not separate from nature. Nature can be seen as one large organism, and it cares for itself. That's why we find so many different medicines in the plant kingdom, which just by "coincidence" work incredibly well, and in harmony with our bodies, at curing all kinds of diseases and even enlightening our minds. It takes remarkable arrogance to think that is all by mere coincidence in my view.

I'm not a stranger to the 'revelation' of unity from plant or chem psychedelic 'teachers', but the realization that our feeling of separation is a mental and functional construct and not a physical reality doesn't actually prove or imply that our connectedness also leads to a conscious care, intentional and intelligently.
Nature in ways cares for itself as species have evolved to feed off one another in one big co-dependent system >>> the food chain, the circle of life (lol)... but while evolution is an apparently clever process, one part feeding off another is in just as many ways dissimilar from an organism as similar. It can be pretty parasitic and nature for a huge part is (necessarily) cruel.
It's fine to follow some kind of guidance that teaches you, like I do acknowledge that psychedelics can and have taught me a lot... but despite everything I owe to them (also they have slapped me around plenty of times) it would be nothing more than self-indulgent to believe that they were 'put' in my / our lives for a reason - again implying a conscious intelligent process.
That is just our wishful thinking that there is some purpose behind things, which we very much hope to be true. Alas there isn't really an actual reason or proof that this is true. We should grow up and make our own fates.

Coincidence is actually not so strange, it is a mathematical probability and eventuality that things that we find amazing and wondrous would eventually occur by accident. We don't normally account for all the things that don't result in a successful match just like evolution does not select successful mutations to survive. Only once we start doing the math does this become clear.
The reason is that so many things occur that randomness is enough to make things happen. Also there are factors that make some of the 'coincidences' less than random like some of the biochemistry organisms share.
Drugs in plants having action in us, seems to me to be most of the time because of shared biochemistry like tryptamines in plants being part of the metabolic process, or a purpose meant for insects or
other animals to deter from the plant being eaten (mescaline, THC), and now probably salvinorin... than what appears to be more 'true' coincidences from the actions of some ethnobotanicals.

I like your ideology, but your view doesn't seem to account for those mathematical inevitabilities.

Believing in harmony as an ideal doesn't in my experience mean that you cannot be realistic about some of the phenomena in the world being less than magical. It is more mature and educated though... and like resistance to evolution and belief in intelligent design there is denial there that seems similar to the denials of premature / false enlightenment.
Also taking some of the magic away doesn't close the door on the world being wonderful, it invites us to become more curious about the intricacies of nature.

Last edited:
That is just our wishful thinking that there is some purpose behind things, which we very much hope to be true. Alas there isn't really an actual reason or proof that this is true. We should grow up and make our own fates

I'm not saying we shouldn't grow up or make our own fates. You're still viewing things from the point of view of separation, as though there is a real external world with its own independent existence.

I simply don't see it that way. For me, the whole phenomenological world is but a dream, or shadow of a higher reality. A thought in the mind of God, a manifestation of the Great Spirit, there is no way to describe it accurately because it's prior to language, it's prior to concepts, etc.

The world being a thought, or a "production" as opposed to an actuality means that all parts of it are in some sense, part of that same primary thought and there is balance. Sickness is a potentiality in that thought, so plant medicines are created to counter balance it and allow for healing.

The purpose of the whole thing is a school for our spirits, we learn about reality through playing the game of physical life. It is a game. Psychedelics are like power ups.

If you think life is real, that's your prerogative. However, I , like many psychedelic explorers before me, view it as some sort of divine play or game. This isn't wishful thinking, this is what has been revealed to me through my exploration.