• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Salvia - Experienced - Finally had a REAL Salvia trip.

shady4091

Bluelighter
So I had used Salvia many many times before never having received what I expected to be the "true" effects. I'd feel the strong pull on my body, lots of laughter for no reason, earthly coloured rolling patterns with eyes closed and just a general "fucked up" feeling. My friends all loved it and never believed me when I said "there's more to this drug, we're not doing it right".

Well one day, I took it upon myself to absolutely ensure that I "break through" the salvia barrier. I had my room mate watch over me to make sure I didn't do anything stupid, grabbed a blindfold, and packed a full gram of 20X into my bong. Insanity ensues...

The first thing I noticed is how fast the effects were coming on. Almost as soon as I inhaled I felt all the previous effects I had experienced before. I was a little concerned but held it in. By the time I was ready to exhale, the last earthly thought I remember thinking was "Uh oh".

Immediately after exhaling, I saw my roommate come around the corner once, then again, and again, and again, with each interval becoming faster and faster, then stopping abruptly. Every wall in my apartment fell over revealing nothing but an intense black emptiness. It was at this time that I had completely forgotten that I had just smoked a highly mind altering chemical and I became INTENSELY terrified. I felt as if I were tumbling head over heels over and over in this void of nothingness. I didn't think I had died, I didn't think the world had ended, what I thought was much much worse. I was convinced that existence itself had finally come to an end. No time, no space, no life or death, nothing, just blank tumbling for all eternity. I was so very convinced that this is what had actually happened. I kept thinking "well everything had to come to an end sometime, this just happened to be the time" I couldn't see nor feel my body and I've never before, or since felt a fear so incredibly real. I remember trying so hard to scream but no sound coming out, since sound didn't exist anymore. (My roommate later confirmed that I was screaming bloody murder almost the entire time).

Blankness eventually turned to an earthly coloured waterfall right in front of me and I felt like I had to reach the top. Like my continuing existence depended on it. Like if I could somehow reach the top of this conveyer belt looking object, I would be back. Incredibly enough, it was as soon as I reached the top that I finally remembered "Oh my god, I smoked Salvia, this isn't real, I'm going to be okay". Never in my life have I felt a relief so strong. I laughed and laughed in euphoria as I slowly began to see bits and pieces of my apartment again. I came to in my washroom which I thought was quite strange since I didn't feel like I'd moved at all.

My roommate was also very relieved when I regained conscious thought as he was beginning to get quite worried about me. He told me as soon as I exhaled I threw the blindfold, jumped up and shouted "I want off this drug right now!" He said I was walking around almost coherently and would scream at the top of my lungs at random intervals. He said at one point, I grabbed him, hugged him and spun him around a few times while looking extremely confused. I don't recall any of this.

I definitely do not regret this trip at all, it was a hell of an experience but not one I have any desire to repeat ever again. This was over a year ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. I was totally mind-fucked for weeks after, simply because what I had experience was so damn REAL to me. I want to say prepare yourself for the experience but how can you prepare for it when you completely forget you're even on anything? I thought I was prepared, but really I just don't think it's even possible. Peace everyone!

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_salvia
substancecode_dissociatives
explevel_experienced
exptype_neutral
exptype_spiritual
exptype_difficult
roacode_smoked
roacode_inhaled

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up shady4091. Short but real discriptive.

I agree with your point about there being no way on earth you can prepare for getting fucked up if you get sooo fucked up that you loose insight into your condition. Once you've forgotton that you've done drugs you're in uncharted territory!!!

Glad everything turned out OK though.

Nice report, shady4091. Salvia can really throw you for a loop. Insanity ensues is a perfect summary for a lot of salvia trips. Glad you have no regrets about your trip, even though it didn't go exactly the way you thought it may.

that sounds crazy. ive been tempted to try salvia but fuck that, i'll stick to DMT

I want to say prepare yourself for the experience but how can you prepare for it when you completely forget you're even on anything? I thought I was prepared, but really I just don't think it's even possible.
The choice to do salvia is an interesting one for this reason. It's unique in that you really really can't know what you're getting into.

I remember a guy asking "should I do a bigger bowl -- cause I've tripped on acid and mushrooms before?"

All I could do was tell him that no other experience is anything like it. There's nothing to compare it to and no way to prepare. He did it and was pretty shaken for hours; I was told he brought it up all the time for about a year -- but ultimately interpreted it as a positive spiritual experience. The possibilities of life never seem quite so vast as after returning from a salvia trip, and that can be liberating or terrifying.

I guess all you can tell the uninitiated is that it's a potentially life changing experience; and that some regret it and others don't -- and some don't even trip at all.

Good report sounds insane haha. I want to try Salvia - what kind did you take and one hit just put you like that for how long would you say?

The choice to do salvia is an interesting one for this reason. It's unique in that you really really can't know what you're getting into.

I remember a guy asking "should I do a bigger bowl -- cause I've tripped on acid and mushrooms before?"

All I could do was tell him that no other experience is anything like it. There's nothing to compare it to and no way to prepare. He did it and was pretty shaken for hours; I was told he brought it up all the time for about a year -- but ultimately interpreted it as a positive spiritual experience. The possibilities of life never seem quite so vast as after returning from a salvia trip, and that can be liberating or terrifying.

I guess all you can tell the uninitiated is that it's a potentially life changing experience; and that some regret it and others don't -- and some don't even trip at all.

I was definitely shaken for a long time afterward and would bring it up all the time. But was completely unsatisfied when trying to explain it to my friends. I felt like there's no way they have any idea what it was really like without having experienced it. It was hands down the most "intense" experience I've ever had on any drug, and I've tripped numerous times on LSD and Mushrooms. Absolutely nothing like anything I've ever experience before. I haven't touched Salvia since, not because I'm afraid, but because I feel like it's one of those things you only really need to experience once.

I used 20X strength and packed the full gram into my bong. I'd say my hit burned about half of it. Held the lighter to it for a bit to get it heated up (since I didn't have a torch lighter which is apparently ideal) and held the hit in for about 30 seconds. My roommate said I was out for about 8-10 minutes, but that's a loooong time to feel like you don't exist anymore ;) And the lingering after-effects lasted about another half hour to an hour. I wasn't "normal" again though, for quite some time. Spent the next few days very rattled and in deep thought.

I only feel salvia around the same time as exhaling it, but it comes on instantly. The part about looping hallucinations really reminds me of weed back when it actually did something. I did 20x 15-20 times over two weeks. 20-30 seconds after inhaling, I'd often hear a stampede coming toward me, then the room would be split into sections, then it would be replaced by intimidating plasticine creatures (sometimes everything morphed into a surreal market or shop for a fraction of a second). They grabbed me and pulled me into the wall as everything bent outward. About two seconds into the high, they carry me further into a void, dropping me and telling me to hurry up or stop struggling whenever I do so. They have two emotions and facial expressions, happy and angry.

1-5 seconds into the high, they begin to disassemble me, or what now seems like a basic, stylized version of me. they take simple blocks apart. The creatures have a simple face, a hotdog-like body, and long, stringy legs which sometimes shorten when they run. They are also wearing sneakers. they are three-dimensional but they can only move horizontally and vertically on their two-dimensional grid.

Immediately after they begin, they split into a rotating wheel of thousands of these beings, taking every bit of me apart. I am ejected from reality.

Around this time, I am either too high to notice, or I become terrified of losing my grip on reality. I no longer exist, therefore nothing exists to me.

I am sometimes carried to a golden goddess with thousands of rotating molecules, and reassembled (probably to become a retard). Around this time, I wake up in the vents of a pink or grey factory. I am in the storage area of salvia's factory, as far as I've been able to tellll.
I'm crammed in an egg-like space with tons of these beings, except since they aren't moving they have ridiculously long legs this time around. Then I get all this imagery about slavery and monotonous existance, and am eventually peacefully and rapidly carried back to my body.

I don't think I'll be doing that crazy stuff again!!

Nice report. Took a huge rip off of 40x wayy before I ever thought of touching a psychedelic. Set me up with a fear of drugs for a while until I realized Salvia's way more of a mind fuck compared to anything else. Can def relate to the 'tumbling into nothing' feeling.

hmm, my first attempt on salvia was about an year ago, with a 10x, when i had some visual distortions but not a real trip. I was still in the same room but was seeing a part of it moving in circle and seemed to me like i was in an ocean, moving along with the waves and feeling a nice pleasant chill. All of this stuff seemed so funny and i was laughing out loud.
After that, i just tried only with dry leaves, no extract.
A few times, with my eyes closed, i had the sensation that i was going somehow back in time, seeing things from my childhood, and as well i was exhilarated by the experience. Of course a part of my mind craving for control, realized the pattern and just prevented me from going deeper ... until one time, when it hit me. I did some breathing exercises before, smoked it, sit comfortably in my bed ... and suddenly i was far far away, looking at the earth and feeling so good. I started to ask why do we live this earthly life, why do we go through all the struggle and pain ... and i heard a voice like someone was close to me, saying that we are here to learn something, and usually something simple, and we are the only ones causing the suffering.
In that state i was feeling so easy and so good, like i never experienced something unpleasant before.
After a few more attempts, it hit me again, as well after some breathing exercises, and while playing some music, i remember it was Juno Reactor - Conga Fury.
I started to withdraw from what i perceived at that moment as being many lives, from all of them at the same time, going through a spiral to the very core of it. I then found myself into a state where there was only feeling, full awareness but no thinking. I perceived myself as an entity, can't exactly describe, also there was nothing else around me, just me. As well, i felt so good and calm, like nothing ever disturbed me before ... anyway, in that state there was no before and no after, no notions, no definitions.
Tonight i plan a new salvia experience, if it's gonna be a trip, i`ll post it later on.

Happy to read some more experiences. From what Ive noticed in reading these and reports from erowid, there are a lot of similar characteristics. What I'm wondering is if so called bad trips" on Salvia stem from clinging onto the ego like many of the other psychedelics. It almost seems like it doesn't and it's simply terrifying for another reason...

you should give DMT a try

I would absolutely LOVE to try DMT, unfortunately it's almost completely unheard of here :( I read Rick Strassmans DMT: The Spirit Molecule a year or so ago and it was incredibly interesting. Definitely on my list of drugs to try. In fact, I think it's the last one :)

I think the bad trips have a lot to do with the dysphoric body effects feeding back into the visions.

DMT can be extracted easily from plants you can get using fairly simple kitchen chemistry. Search for teks and you'll find a library of info.

tried last night, after about 6 months with no salvia ... it was so strange.
Lost in the nowhere, clinging to only one thought, not wanting to let it go, that very thought being like an anchor in my existence, without it i didn't know who i`m gonna be. Somehow i remembered that i need to let it all go, but it was so frightening not to have at least something to hold on. Eventually i let it all go and went deeper into the nowhere, losing all perceptions of space, time, feelings. A part of me still knew that i will somehow come back to the reality i knew, but soon that too vanished into the nothingness. I don't know how much it lasted but seemed like ages. When i briefly opened my eyes i checked on my breathing, being unaware if i breath during all the time I've been on the trip.
I fell asleep after that and started to dream about the very thought i was clinging.
The thing that annoyed me most is that i got a numb body in the morning, and usually i can feel most of what is going inside of it. Lucky it only lasted for a short time, an hour or so.
Next time I will try to change the position i stay in after inhaling the smoke, and see if i get to have more awareness. Probably tonight will do it again ... is strange but i didn't feel like going on salvia for so long, and last night i did it without arguing too much with myself :D
From own experience, listening to my body guided me so well in the last year.

Never had bad trips ... only many trips when i was unaware of the things, but i think bad trips may have to do with something berried deep inside, that comes to surface during the being "high" time. Ego attachment will create fear, pain and discomfort in the first phase, don't know about the rest, but from what i read, at the very core, fear stems only from the ego fear of death.

OP, bear in mind that Salvia is a very different beast. Out of the top beasts out there, DMT is a mild one to your mind (in terms of coping with it) - it's a nice short trip to another place, whereas Salvia well - it a boundary dissolving one, can be confusing, but ultimately has a good heart. If you learn how it works and how to use it it's a paradise.

Interesting trip! Salvia is so far out there it's fascinating. It sort of does the impossible. Great stuff - it is true it doesn't necessarily much provision for comfort or fun but at the same time it can be cosmic and awesome and potentially pleasant too.

Yeah, there really is no way to prepare anyone for that degree of intensity, just like you said. It's worse, I feel like, when someone is familiar with psychedelics and it's hard to get rid of the subconscious expectation that the experience will be in some way similarly framed. I was fortunate to have salvia as my first entheogenic ally, so everything else came easily after. It really is remarkable how utterly, viscerally, indisputably real the experiences can feel in a way that I've never experienced with any other material. It's hard not to have your foundational beliefs unsettled by that.

The blackness, being propelled into a vast and foreign empty space with the fear that this is indeed the end of everything. Feeling a heavy gravitational force pull my body backwards and downwards. Having no recollection of ingested anything, no memory of the past. Then becoming aware of brightly cyan green colored spinning molecules all compacted together to form a perfect sphere in space. All I ever was or ever would be was one of these small spinning circles of light on a sphere made up of millions of others just like it. I was then pulled via a centrifuge like force to the edge of this sphere and flung off into the void. That's when I opened my eyes and believed what I was seeing was a new reality, somewhere I was not supposed to be. It felt like I accidentally slipped off the edge of my cyan green planet and would be stuck in this new body on this new planet of foreign creatures forever. I saw my girlfriend but did not recognize her and was unable to speak for a couple more minutes before slowly regaining consciousness and realizing all that just happened. I was terrified for days afterwards, like I had just been in a car accident but also relieved that in fact nothing bad actually happened in reality and everything was normal. It was the most humbling experience, and although I wish to never repeat this I think it was easily one of the most profound non ordinary experiences I've ever had. Not sure if it qualifies as a true near death experience, but it sure changed the way I felt about myself. A Salvia breakthrough is something I would never repeat. There aren't the classic revelations or higher consciousness moments if clarity. It's a completely terrifying, weird and uncomfortable place both physically and psychologically. I think these extracts are too potent, they cause some kind of overdose. 10 years later and I still get intense feelings of adrenaline when I try and talk about that experience.

Last edited: